Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture cars in revenue service on Lincoln services

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1622237  by sfmartinw

west point wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm What will the running time if an Amtrak has to follow a commuter train <> Joliet?.
Does the traffic geometry allow for 110mph operation? This would be an excellent place for the train to get a head start on vehicles - especially if running non-stop from Union Station to Joliet with an average speed of >60 mph.
 #1622287  by ryanwc

west point wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm What will the running time if an Amtrak has to follow a commuter train <> Joliet?.
Metra's Heritage Corridor has 7 stops, 3 of which are Amtrak stops anyway (Union Station, Summit and Joliet). They run three inbound trips for morning rush and 3 outbound for PM rush and that's the entire schedule.

The commuter trains take 1:06 outbound / 1:07 inbound. Amtrak is scheduled at 50-57 minutes. So in the unlikely event that a commuter train interfered, it might hold an Amtrak up by 10-20 minutes or so.

The only outbound Amtrak that could conflict is the 5:20 pm departure, running half an hour after the 4:50 Metra outbound, and 10 minutes before the next Metra train. The risk of a Metra train running half an hour behind is very low in my experience. I'd be more worried Amtrak would bung themselves up by departing 12 minutes late.
 #1622414  by Gilbert B Norman

ExCon90 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:09 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:08 am Now that the CRI&P "flyover" from La Salle St. of the NYC and PRR is in place, be difficult to access CUS nowadays.
I would think a major undertaking at Joliet as well?
Mr. Ex Con, that would indeed be "sport". If entering Joliet over the CRI&P, a Lincoln Service train would first need to go over the existing SE quadrant CRI&P/ GM&O connector, which would have such train South of the JUD (Joliet Union Depot). Then train would need to backup into the station to handle its business.

But oh well, this is supposed to be "High Speed Rail"; apparently featuring "backing into sidings" to allow opposing direction trains to pass. All too often, reportedly, the opposing traffic is a UP freight.
 #1622477  by StLouSteve

regarding Joilet,

Perhaps the plan is to build a platform alongside that southern connecting track from the CRIP to the GMO alongside the curve and across from the existing commuter platform. Otherwise, Mr. Norman is right, using either one of the existing stations would involve a short backup.
 #1622500  by eolesen

With all the money recently wasted on the current Joliet depot, those suggestions were either ruled out or ignored. But I also wouldn't put it past Illinois politics to see someone find a way to take more money for the project.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1627338  by Gilbert B Norman

After observing 380(12) today with its usual Charger. A-I Business/Café, Coach+Coach/Business set, I started wondering how, when all the Ventures are accepted, how will these trains be made up?

Will such be Business/Coach+Coach, Café, Coach+Coach or some other combinations. I guess the Business Class will have to walk to the center of the train for their "comps".

If one articulated car plus one regular suffices, that's a lot of equipment running around empty.