• SEPTA train bathrooms

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by realtype

No offense, but SEPTA is a "poor man's" commuter rail service. SEPTA probably operates the most stripped down commuter rail service in the country. The seats on the Silverliners have no ergonomic design whatsoever, and it takes all of 10 minutes before your rear and back starts to ache. Stations are placed like 30 seconds apart, and some of the "stations" themselves are basically bus shelters with a very-low, 5ft long "platform."

MARC and NJT comparably are "luxury trains" relative to SEPTA. Individual, high-back, reclining seats, ADA restrooms, and 125mph running make you feel like your on a Acela Express compared to SEPTA RR. The one redeeming factor with SEPTA is that they have QuietCars, which MARC also has.

Honestly though, it really is shocking that SEPTA doesn't have restrooms. Yeah, it's gonna cost $, but they're neccessities. I don't think there's another CR system in the country that doesn't have them, so there's really no excuse.
  by R3 Passenger

realtype wrote:MARC and NJT comparably are "luxury trains" relative to SEPTA. Individual, high-back, reclining seats, ADA restrooms, and 125mph running make you feel like your on a Acela Express compared to SEPTA RR. The one redeeming factor with SEPTA is that they have QuietCars, which MARC also has.
I have only ever recorded a NJT train going at 105 mph up the Northeast Corridor between Princeton Junction and New Brunswick. I have recorded an Amtrak Keystone hitting 125 mph though in the same area.
  by trollyFoamer

When I rode them with my daddy they went a gabillion miles an hour, and Thomas the Tank Engine pulled them.:)
  by Silverliner II

realtype wrote:MARC and NJT comparably are "luxury trains" relative to SEPTA. Individual, high-back, reclining seats, ADA restrooms, and 125mph running make you feel like your on a Acela Express compared to SEPTA RR. The one redeeming factor with SEPTA is that they have QuietCars, which MARC also has.
None of NJT's equipment runs at 125 mph, and only the multilevels have the individual seats. 100 max for push-pull consists and 80 for the Arrows. Only the MARC bilevels are cleared for 125; the Sumitomo single-level cars are restricted to 110.
  by realtype

Silverliner II wrote:
None of NJT's equipment runs at 125 mph, and only the multilevels have the individual seats. 100 max for push-pull consists and 80 for the Arrows. Only the MARC bilevels are cleared for 125; the Sumitomo single-level cars are restricted to 110.
yeah I know. I was combining the two in terms of features.
  by Silverliner II

realtype wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
yeah I know. I was combining the two in terms of features.
Ahhh, gotcha! :)
  by rslitman

rslitman wrote:I don't know if the current schedule has any such runs right now, but over the years, there have been R5 runs that go from Doylestown all the way to Thorndale, with a return trip all the way back to Doylestown on the same set of cars after a layover. The total round trip is about 5 hours. I have always wanted to ride both ways, with no stopovers anywhere in between. Since food and drinks are allowed on the train, I could just bring something along to eat for lunch. Or I could eat during the layover at Thorndale.

But only recently, it occurred to me that this is an awfully long trip to take with no bathroom opportunity. I don't know what's out there at Thorndale; if there's enough time and a McDonald's or similar restaurant or a library within walking distance, I could probably hold everything in until then. At least I know a couple of places near the Doylestown station that I could drive to in a hurry to use the restroom. I've been to the main Bucks County public library many times over the years, and the restroom there is decent.
Sorry to dump this old topic up to the top, but I wanted to follow up on this. With the various construction projects either finished or at a stage at which they are not expected to cause many delays, there are a few Saturday trips that go continuously from Doylestown to Thorndale and back. Yesterday, I had to go to Ardmore for something and took an R5 from Jenkintown. When I was done, I noticed that the next outbound train through Ardmore was one that went all the way to Thorndale. I had used the restroom at my Ardmore destination before leaving for the train, so that extra train riding time with a 17-minute layover at Thorndale was not a concern. However, I decided this would be a good time to scout Thorndale for facilities in case I ever decide to do this round-trip from Doylestown.

From the Thorndale station, I could see a Wawa fairly close to the station. I don't normally think of Wawas as having public restrooms, but I'm starting to see some in various convenience stores that sell food that people may eat in the stores. So that may be a possibility. Slightly further away is a K-mart. With Thorndale layovers appearing to be about 17 minutes, it looks like this can be do-able with 5 minutes to get there, 5 minutes to get something done, and 5 more minutes to get back to the train. Otherwise, it's about an hour and a half until the next Thorndale train. And that one is probably one that terminates at Market East.

In fact, the train I took back from Thorndale yesterday was one that terminated at Market East. (Back when I first lived in the area, every Saturday R5 went to Glenside, which gave Jenkintown 4 trains an hour and Glenside 3. But that service was cut back in the late 1980s.) I chose 30th Street to make my transfer for two reasons: 1. This need to make a transfer was a convenient way to use the restroom again, and 30th Street probably has the best of the three Center City stations, and 2. I'd get on before the crowds at the other two stations.

If I had had to get back to Doylestown, I would have had to have waited another 15 minutes for the next R5.
  by scotty269

Most(!) Wawa's have restrooms. Usually located next to the delivery door/ATM area.
  by rbreslow

Hey sorry if I'm going off topic but the silverliner II's and III's both had bathrooms I try to get a peak inside of them every time I ride one but the conductor always shoos me away. What's in em now?
  by scotty269

rbreslow wrote:Hey sorry if I'm going off topic but the silverliner II's and III's both had bathrooms I try to get a peak inside of them every time I ride one but the conductor always shoos me away. What's in em now?
Storage.
  by rbreslow

scotty269 wrote:
rbreslow wrote:Hey sorry if I'm going off topic but the silverliner II's and III's both had bathrooms I try to get a peak inside of them every time I ride one but the conductor always shoos me away. What's in em now?
Storage.
Ok so I'm guessing the trains had septic trains. Are they still there? If not shouldn't we be noticing a giant open space beneath the train?
  by nomis

rbreslow wrote:
scotty269 wrote:
Storage.
Ok so I'm guessing the trains had septic trains. Are they still there? If not shouldn't we be noticing a giant open space beneath the train?
When are you looking underneath trains for? Or are you one of the YouTube fools that lays in the vague while the train passes overhead?
  by Silverliner II

Ahhh, I see one of my pics of the Pioneers on the farewell trip at the Airport is getting some mileage as a profile pic! ;)

There is nothing in those rooms that used to be bathrooms now. Crews use them to store destination signs and whatever other items they choose. And back in the day, those toilets likely dumped right onto the ROW as most did in those times.
  by rbreslow

Silverliner II wrote:
Ahhh, I see one of my pics of the Pioneers on the farewell trip at the Airport is getting some mileage as a profile pic! ;)

There is nothing in those rooms that used to be bathrooms now. Crews use them to store destination signs and whatever other items they choose. And back in the day, those toilets likely dumped right onto the ROW as most did in those times.
Awesome pic that you took for number 1

Smelly for number 2
  by SubwayTim

realtype wrote:No offense, but SEPTA is a "poor man's" commuter rail service. SEPTA probably operates the most stripped down commuter rail service in the country. The seats on the Silverliners have no ergonomic design whatsoever, and it takes all of 10 minutes before your rear and back starts to ache. Stations are placed like 30 seconds apart, and some of the "stations" themselves are basically bus shelters with a very-low, 5ft long "platform."

MARC and NJT comparably are "luxury trains" relative to SEPTA. Individual, high-back, reclining seats, ADA restrooms, and 125mph running make you feel like your on a Acela Express compared to SEPTA RR. The one redeeming factor with SEPTA is that they have QuietCars, which MARC also has.

Honestly though, it really is shocking that SEPTA doesn't have restrooms. Yeah, it's gonna cost $, but they're neccessities. I don't think there's another CR system in the country that doesn't have them, so there's really no excuse.
I've ridden on NJT's Arrow III's going to/from New York City on several occasions when I couldn't afford Amtrak, and those brown "leather-look" walkover seats were not the most comfortable seats I've sat in.