• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by JimBoylan

ChesterValley wrote:In other news, SEPTA is beginning to issue temporary plastic keys to replace tokens. https://billypenn.com/2018/07/12/beyond ... e-in-need/
that link wrote: As SEPTA continues recruitment, it also plans to expand the Partner Program to offer more services. In addition to credit card payments, officials want to launch a one-trip card, and a one-trip card with a transfer. They expect those to hit the market in the fall of 2018.
  by JeffK

JimBoylan wrote:
that link wrote:As SEPTA continues recruitment, it also plans to expand the Partner Program to offer more services. In addition to credit card payments, officials want to launch a one-trip card, and a one-trip card with a transfer. They expect those to hit the market in the fall of 2018.
It's not clear from the story whether the one-trip-plus-transfer card will be available to the general public or if it's limited to the Partner Program. If it IS being offered to everyone, this seems to be another case of backwards timing, like when they removed token machines from subway stations before new kiosks were installed. Certainly they could have retained paper transfers for a couple of months until the cards are ready, rather than gouging occasional riders for a double fare.
  by MACTRAXX

JK: I will second you - this was exactly my transfer thought after reading the Billy Penn article.
SEPTA should have retained paper transfers long enough to allow them to be discontinued when
this new single ride farecard with the added transfer option ($3.50) is ready for sale to replace
legacy transfers. Tomorrow in particular (Wednesday August 1st) is going to be interesting to see
how cash riders are going to adapt no longer being able to purchase a $1 transfer. There may be
fare disputes that normally would go unnoticed being made public. With the last day of tokens
being sold at Chester TC, Langhorne, Lansdale and Queen Lane stations 8/1 will be a memorable
day in the history of transit fares in Philadelphia. MACTRAXX
  by MichaelBug

MichaelBug wrote:I have decided to throw caution to the wind & become one of the "Early Adopters". So, on Tuesday, 7/24/18, I purchased an August Monthly "Anywhere" TrailPass for my (previously existing, but little used until now) SEPTA Key, from the mobile kiosk (at North Wales on that day). My receipt lists the "product purchased" as "MTrailPassAny". It doesn't list the period of validity (i.e. August 2018).

I'm going to try it for a month, & share any unusual events in this thread.

Knowing SEPTA RRD's habits, I am still somewhat skeptical that I will be able to get through the month without at least one conductor either (a) challenging the validity of my pass (since it's on a Key card); or (b) not bothering to scan it, because he or she doesn't have one of the portable validator devices (which I have yet to see in use on ANY RRD train). I will carry my receipt just in case there are any issues. We shall see.
So far in the early going, mixed results with the Key. Validator at North Wales worked fine for both inbound trips yesterday (Wed. 8/1) & today (Thur. 8/2) & also for "tapping out" coming back from Center City yesterday. I can NOT tap out when arriving in Center City, because the turnstiles are unlocked ("No Fare Required") leaving the paid area.

As for the actual on-board experience:

Wed. 8/1: Conductor on Train 5711 scanned Key without any issues. He told me that about 10 riders on train were carrying Keys. I noticed that his validator took about 3 seconds to read my Key & display the data from my card. (If it always takes that long, this will be an issue later on.) He showed me the screen which showed that I had a valid Monthly Anywhere Pass & my travel wallet balance. Going home, the conductor on Train 6576 did not attempt to scan my Key (or the one which another passenger had) & just said "You're Good" when I asked if she would. I don't believe that she was carrying a validator.

Thur. 8/2 AM: Conductor on Train 5711 did not scan Key - he said that his validator wasn't working. I also noticed that the Key reader on the platform turnstile on Tracks 3-4 in the B section at Jefferson (this is at the bottom of the elevator leading from the street) was "Out of Service". It was not attended, but should have been.
  by zebrasepta

SEPTA should add this as their motto: "One step forward and two steps back"
  by mcgrath618

Got my key today. I didn't know about the part where I can call SEPTA and get my $4 back, along with a card printed in my name. Seems like a bit of a waste of plastic but cool nonetheless.
  by BuddCar711

MichaelBug wrote:That is true. But what if an Early Adopter (whose "home station" is on another line that is part of the pilot, say for example, Lansdale) with a Anywhere TrailPass-enabled Key card, decides to take a ride to Wilmington?
Further, will DART accept a Key cardthat's formatted for a TrailPass? Currently, you can use your legacy TrailPass on any DART bus route within Northern New Castle County, but am worried when I'm forced to get the Key Card that DART will not honor it.
  by zebrasepta

Seniors won't have to pay 1$ to use the regional rail starting in September
The never-ending SEPTA Key rollout pushes on, this time with a bit of good news for the transportation service’s most tenured members: Starting Sept. 1, the $1 fee for Regional Rail rides for travel within Pennsylvania will be eliminated.
https://www.phillyvoice.com/septa-offer ... septa-key/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.septa.org/media/releases/2018/8-2-18.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by JeffK

zebrasepta wrote:Seniors won't have to pay 1$ to use the regional rail starting in September
The never-ending SEPTA Key rollout pushes on, this time with a bit of good news for the transportation service’s most tenured members: Starting Sept. 1, the $1 fee for Regional Rail rides for travel within Pennsylvania will be eliminated.
https://www.phillyvoice.com/septa-offer ... septa-key/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.septa.org/media/releases/2018/8-2-18.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reading between the lines, it sounds like once the state phases out its mag-stripe cards, seniors will need either a Senior Key or a one-day card to avoid paying a regular fare. That’s going to cut out anyone who isn’t from the area, similar to how eliminating paper transfers nails visitors and discretionary riders.

Yup, "one step forward and two steps back" - zebrasepta
  by MichaelBug

MichaelBug wrote:I have decided to throw caution to the wind & become one of the "Early Adopters". So, on Tuesday, 7/24/18, I purchased an August Monthly "Anywhere" TrailPass for my (previously existing, but little used until now) SEPTA Key, from the mobile kiosk (at North Wales on that day). My receipt lists the "product purchased" as "MTrailPassAny". It doesn't list the period of validity (i.e. August 2018).

Knowing SEPTA RRD's habits, I am still somewhat skeptical that I will be able to get through the month without at least one conductor either (a) challenging the validity of my pass (since it's on a Key card); or (b) not bothering to scan it, because he or she doesn't have one of the portable validator devices (which I have yet to see in use on ANY RRD train). I will carry my receipt just in case there are any issues. We shall see.

Thur. 8/2 PM: Conductor on Train 6576 (same person that worked that train on Wed. 8/1) did validate Key. She confirmed that she didn't have a validator issued to her until Thursday. I observed that she had some difficulty with her validator working while the train was still in the tunnel; it seemed better once we left the tunnel.

(I didn't ride RRD on Friday 8/3.)
  by mcgrath618

Used my key on the NHSL and Market Frankford El today. The transfer was granted to me both ways, but it was annoying that my friends who had to get one time passes had to get one every time they got on the train. Still, far better than the tokens.
  by MichaelBug

[quote="MichaelBug"][quote="MichaelBug"]I have decided to throw caution to the wind & become one of the "Early Adopters". So, on Tuesday, 7/24/18, I purchased an August Monthly "Anywhere" TrailPass for my (previously existing, but little used until now) SEPTA Key, from the mobile kiosk (at North Wales on that day). My receipt lists the "product purchased" as "MTrailPassAny". It doesn't list the period of validity (i.e. August 2018).

Monday 8/6: Usual trains 5711 & 6576. Everything worked as expected, no issues. Key was validated onboard both trains.

On Tuesday 8/7, I opted to take the 93 bus from near home in Collegeville to Norristown & then the Manayunk-Norristown (ex-RDG/R6) from there into town (as my car was in the shop). Also, I figured that this would be a good test of the Key on an RRD line that is NOT part of the pilot. Inbound, validator on platform @ Norristown TC worked fine, but conductor on Train 6203 didn't have validator & I had to explain to him that I had an Anywhere TrailPass loaded on my Key card. Outbound, conductor on Train 7250 DID have validator, but it happened that he had it stowed in his crew bag (he asked where I was going). He was able to scan the Key after we had departed Conshohocken. I believe that this may have been the first time he had performed a Key transaction on a revenue train. The validator on the outbound platform back at Norristown TC (to tap out) also worked OK.
  by JeffersonLeeEng

MichaelBug wrote:On Tuesday 8/7, I opted to take the 93 bus from near home in Collegeville to Norristown & then the Manayunk-Norristown (ex-RDG/R6) from there into town (as my car was in the shop). Also, I figured that this would be a good test of the Key on an RRD line that is NOT part of the pilot. Inbound, validator on platform @ Norristown TC worked fine, but conductor on Train 6203 didn't have validator & I had to explain to him that I had an Anywhere TrailPass loaded on my Key card. Outbound, conductor on Train 7250 DID have validator, but it happened that he had it stowed in his crew bag (he asked where I was going). He was able to scan the Key after we had departed Conshohocken. I believe that this may have been the first time he had performed a Key transaction on a revenue train. The validator on the outbound platform back at Norristown TC (to tap out) also worked OK.

I guess since you have a zone 4/Anywhere pass, you should be fine with using the Key (considering there should not be any stipulations regarding your usage except for the monthly/weekly ride limits). What's causing the confusion from conductors is that using it for non-zone 4 destinations that aren't part of the current "Early Adoption" phase for Regional Rail. Personally, I only have a monthly Transpass for August loaded onto my key card and I noticed this past weekend more validators being used by the regional rail conductors. I think it's been mentioned before that "Travel Wallet" is still not usable on rail (why? I don't know.) and a few riders were chided and charged the full on-board (sucker) cash fare because of not having a valid Transpass on their key card. This is going to take a bit of getting used to, I think...
  by bikentransit

so once key goes into effect, will riders need to tap on the platform to get on the train AND have the conductor read the card on the train as well? What if one or both don't happen?
  by CNJGeep

bikentransit wrote:so once key goes into effect, will riders need to tap on the platform to get on the train AND have the conductor read the card on the train as well? What if one or both don't happen?
It is my understanding that once the system is fully operational that Conductors will do 20 random audits per train. If you don't tap in, you can see your conductor to tap you in.

As for if both don't happen, I have no idea.