Railroad Forums 

• Septa diesels (moved, when used, etc)

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1618070  by Emmett

Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if septa will be replacing/rebuilding any of their diesels. I was on the "5 locomotive exchange on septa's procurement" forum and saw that "septa 51,52,60,61 are up for procurement, and maybe 50 or 70". If this is true, when would they be getting scrapped, preserved, rebuilt, etc? If septa is going to keep any, which will they keep? thank you!
 #1618094  by CNJGeep

They run every night on the wire train. Hang out at Wayne Junction or get a scanner and wait to hear them call out.
 #1618095  by CNJGeep

Emmett wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:05 am Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if septa will be replacing/rebuilding any of their diesels. I was on the "5 locomotive exchange on septa's procurement" forum and saw that "septa 51,52,60,61 are up for procurement, and maybe 50 or 70". If this is true, when would they be getting scrapped, preserved, rebuilt, etc? If septa is going to keep any, which will they keep? thank you!
No one is certain, the original plan was to buy 5 or 6 more like the 80 and retire everything else but who knows if that will happen. What happens to them depends on who is the successful bidder. Don't expect any preservation attempts on SEPTA's part.
 #1618150  by Emmett

so to be clear, they run every night on wire train, thats helpful to know. and probably no preservation, of course because its septa and they didnt even make an effort for the ALP-44.
 #1618173  by NaugyRR

A railroad is a business, and the first priority of any business is to make a profit. While preservation is great and all, that should be so far down on a company's priority list that it shouldn't even be a blip on their business radar. If a piece of equipment has aged and degraded to the point where it is costing more in repairs than it is making a return on investment then it is the railroad's prerogative to scrap it for the recycling value and to free up yard space and mechanical forces (both of which come at a premium). If a museum approaches them (or they approach a museum) to purchase the equipment or to have it donated then it is just icing on the cake at the point, even though the railroad has no obligation to do so. This doesn't even cover the costs of taxes, and insurance, and tariffs, etc.

Most people riding these trains daily don't know a Silverliner from an ACS, they just know they paid money for the right to travel on it, safely and efficiently. It is the railroad's obligation to provide that as part of their end of that business transaction. At the end of the day any retired equipment donation is simply a tax write off to them, that may or may not be more financially beneficial than simply sending the equipment in for a scrap paycheck.

Would it be great to see more equipment preserved? Yes. Does everything need preserving? No.

If you really want to make a difference in railroad history and preservation then consider joining a museum or railroad historical society. Hell, even just visiting and riding at railroad museums make a big difference in various preservation efforts. Repeatedly criticizing a public transit agency on a fan forum (where they are 200% not likely to read it) for not doing something most, if not all, public transit agencies do not do is not worth nearly as much as going out and volunteering (for example, at the RR Museum of PA where they have a saved AEM-7, or joining the Electric Railroaders Association, a group that organize shop tours and regional trips).
 #1618177  by Emmett

naugyRR,

how easy is it to volunteer at these museums? for me thats hard because I live an hour and a half from RRMPA. plus i'm in school.

I'd love to volunteer at one but I really can't do it with time and general restrictions. I just feel like putting my opinion out there on the forums because what if someone who is a volunteer sees it. It's an near impossible possibility but its still a possibility.

I just want to see 52/51 preserved.

-Emmett
 #1618179  by NaugyRR

I just gave RRMPA as an example, not as the rule. That post also comes out harsher than I meant it to be, for which I apologize.

Check out Google maps and see what's closer to you. I grew up in northwest CT so I know all about distance and inability to travel easily while in school. You don't necessarily have to volunteer either, that was just a suggestion. Just try to visit different museums when you can; admission money goes directly into museum budgets. Even buying items from museum online stores helps. I don't have time to volunteer but I buy merch from the New Haven Railroad Historical group when I can, stop by the Danbury Railway Museum and browse the same yard full of equipment that's been there since I was a kid, and buy tickets for any Mass Bay trips that interest me. Every contribution helps.

If you're really serious about seeing one of the ALP's preserved then contact both the RRMPA or URHS directly. Ask them if they've considered rescuing any and if there's anything you can do to help the process if they are. Ask if there's anyway you can volunteer without traveling. Many museums need IT and web support staff, advertising designers, and social media people. Not all volunteering needs to be hands-on wrenching and painting. Once you're out of school and have more free time you can always choose to travel and actively participate on site.

It's one thing to promote preservation, it's another entirely to actively participate.
 #1618193  by CNJGeep

Emmett wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:10 am so to be clear, they run every night on wire train, thats helpful to know. and probably no preservation, of course because its septa and they didnt even make an effort for the ALP-44.
There are two wire trains every night. The engines do change from time to time, it's whatever two happen to be the least broken.

There is also a daylight tie train some Wednesdays, that usually has the 80.
 #1618279  by CNJGeep

Emmett wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:57 am And is that would those be on the Paoli-thorndale line?
No, there are no scheduled diesels out there except the wash train in the autumn. SEPTA does not maintain that catenary, so there is no need for the wire train to go out there
 #1618280  by CNJGeep

Emmett wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:57 am the daylight train wouldn't happen to have a general area of time perhaps? and the night time ones would be around 10-1?
Crew reports at 6AM, location varies week to week. Not anywhere on Amtrak, so no Trenton Wilmington or Paoli.

As for the wire train they sign up at 10 and most days they're out of Wayne Electric by midnight. Some days they don't turn a wheel and they don't work Friday nights.
 #1618281  by CNJGeep

There might be a rail train out on the Warminster overnight tomorrow (Friday night into Saturday), and all day Saturday with the 80 and one of the 50s.
Last edited by CNJGeep on Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1618295  by Emmett

CNJGeep wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:55 pm
Emmett wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:57 am the daylight train wouldn't happen to have a general area of time perhaps? and the night time ones would be around 10-1?
Crew reports at 6AM, location varies week to week. Not anywhere on Amtrak, so no Trenton Wilmington or Paoli.

As for the wire train they sign up at 10 and most days they're out of Wayne Electric by midnight. Some days they don't turn a wheel and they don't work Friday nights.

does that mean they might run the manyunk/norristown line? that isn't serviced by amtrak?