Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by phoenix

So may I ask, what is the reasoning hte MP5 and sw1001s are still here?

by emfinite

A few weeks ago, train 2711 got back to Richmond Hill just fine with a MP15 on the west end of 3 coaches and a dead DE30. The crew on that train ONLY works on handsigns, so the daunting task today of using handsigns was not a problem. Passenger trains are hauled everyday like this with a 1500 (when the DE/DM30 breaks down) so, Dutch, I think what you are trying to explain is in fact a fallacy.

Joe

by pgengler

emfinite wrote:A few weeks ago, train 2711 got back to Richmond Hill just fine with a MP15 on the west end of 3 coaches and a dead DE30. The crew on that train ONLY works on handsigns, so the daunting task today of using handsigns was not a problem. Passenger trains are hauled everyday like this with a 1500 (when the DE/DM30 breaks down) so, Dutch, I think what you are trying to explain is in fact a fallacy.
While I'm not familiar with the FRA rules that may or may not apply here, I would think that the situation of a 1500 pulling for a dead DE/DM doesn't qualify as regular service, and hence wouldn't be subject to such a rule.

by Lirr168

phoenix wrote:So may I ask, what is the reasoning hte MP5 and sw1001s are still here?
MOW and Protect service.

by emfinite

What was the deal with the GP38s when they hauled around the C1 coaches? Was there a communication system between the two or did the crew just work off handsigns like they should?

Joe

by DutchRailnut

They worked with Radio's but I believe the FRA stopped the Gp38 and C1 consists from operating.

by tushykushy

pgengler you are wrong. I was on 2711 that night it broke down. We were stuck at a station for more than 3 hours at night, and the train behind us was still at Patchogue (I think 2701.) They combinded the stops of both trains. Originally had they not combinded them, we would only make stops if there were people on the platform. But since we combinded both trains, we made every single stop to Babylon then a straight shot to Jamaica from there. It was still a revenue train even with a 1500 on it.

Don't quote me on this (Form 19 would better elaborate on this) but there was a big dispute as to where the 1500 would be in the consist. Be on the head end and do 65 or shove and only do 15MPH to Babylon, then run around. Had it be doing 15MPH I don't think it would be a revenue train anymore.

by Lirr168

DutchRailnut wrote:They worked with Radio's but I believe the FRA stopped the Gp38 and C1 consists from operating.
I think otherwise;in my understanding, the GP38's were only intended as temporary power for the C-1's until everything was cleared with the FL9's and #3100.

by Long Island 7285

the FL9s provided HEP so they did not need 3100 from what i understand, 3100 was only for the geeps pulling the C1s if the FL9s did not have HEP they they would have not lasted as long as they did

by emfinite

Dutch, the FRA did not have anything to do with the end of the GP38s hauling the C1s. The cause of that was the FL9s finally being delivered from Republic Locomotive Works. There is only one way to settle this dispute though! Let us call upon our friend Clemuel, possessor of all knowledge and wisdom. Can the Railroad legally run the 1500s with the C3 coaches as a daily operation using the 3100 power car for HEP?

Joe

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The C-1's were pulled by Metra Engines leased from chicago before the arrival of the fl-9's. As far as I know, there is no reason why a 1500 could not pull a few bi-level cars in passenger service. We used to use them regularly with the old 2700's on the shorter trains, such as the oyster bay branch, or the scoots. The drawbacks would be no communication buzzer or PA to the engineer, so hand signs would have to be used. If a train crew had to stop the train, they would have to use the emergency brake. In addition, you would need more then 1 engine for traction, since the 1500's are getting old, and are not built for speed, and the bi-level coaches are heavy cars. In addition, you would need a 3rd engine, for hotel power. So with all the drawbacks, you would not see 1500's pulling bi-level coaches in passenger service. However if extreme circumstances arose, they could be used in a pinch.

by Long Island 7285

I beleive that can happan.

How ever 1 3100 and 2 MP1500ac's would be enough power to haul 3-4C3s around, and whats wrong with doing things the old way.... hand signals and two way hand held radios are just fine.

as Joe "emfinite" said, leave it to the main man him seld, im shure our friend clem can cleare all of out "ideas" "thoughts" and the whatnots up.

by 9C1LT1

Hello Everyone,

I think two MP-15's, (with the 3100 providing HEP) which is more power then a DE30, if you factor in the HEP, can probably pull 10-12 bi-levels, Cannonball power! The Metra (BN) E-9's didn't last long, I have attached my photo of the E-9's with the C-1 train at Shea Stadium from 1991. I also have shot's of the 38's pulling the C1's, just have to find them...

-Barry

by Long island Joe

Nice Photo of The E8s with The C1 Cars I Remember Them Running on Port Jeff Testing The C1 Cars 516 521

by Frank

What happened to the C1s?