Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by badneighbor

Is there any chance that 3100 could be reworked to provide power to the C-3s? If so then an MP-15 could pull in a pinch if it had too. Is any of this possible, I know the scene wouldn't happen.. my question is.. COULD it happen?

by DutchRailnut

Who would want to tow a 120 ton generator around to provide power for a few cars??
Know how many MP1500's it would take to get that train rolling at speed ??

by bluebelly

badneighbor wrote:Is there any chance that 3100 could be reworked to provide power to the C-3s? If so then an MP-15 could pull in a pinch if it had too. Is any of this possible, I know the scene wouldn't happen.. my question is.. COULD it happen?
Apparently 3100 can power C-3s or at least provide enough power to prevent them from freezing since that is what it was used for last winter untill it blew up. Anyone comming east on M/L4 last winter would have seen it in the Advance Yard hooked up to C3s.
It was power washed inside and out about a month ago, so I am guessing they have some plans for it. Probably repairing it and using it for the same purpose.
To answer your question i would have to say no.

by badneighbor

keep it if it serves a purpose
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Engine 160 is in service with a new paint job. You can be sure that it will be tied down properly! :wink:

by emfinite

I heard that it was going to be used as a mobile generator in the future, but it's just being worked on now. Inside, you can tell there was an electrical fire because a bunch of wires were burned up along with part of one of the engines.

Joe

by Form 19

The 3100 does not need modification to power the C-3's..it already has an output of 480VAC 60Hz from two sleds each powered by a Cummins diesel and 800amp Marathon alternators...one for each bus line..A&B.

They were able to handle up to 14 cars and in theory, it could be used with C-3's for HEP with 1500's for traction.

The stickler is the incompatibility of the 1500's with the C-3's..there would be no communication buzzers or door closed circuit. These are minor problems because a radio or handsign could be used to communicate and a diligent crew would not need a door closed circuit to run safely.

There is no FRA regulation requiring a door closed light so legally the LIRR can do what you described...it's the Train and Engine crews who would be a problem and only some of them. With modernization, many on the LIRR equate running without a buzzer or running engines around the train like going to the moon in a cement truck.

Hey Emfinite..imagine an LIRR set with a doubleheader of FL9's(one painted NH of course), 10 C-3's and the 3100 bringing up markers? Or check this out LIRR7285...a G-5s for power pulling 10 C-3's and the 3100..it can be done without any crazy modification.

As for me..I would love a pair of RS3's on top and forget the FL9's or G5s! Who needs a covered wagon when you can have a "real" locomotive pulling power!

Forgive me Joe I had to say it!

by LIRRNOVA55

bah humbug. .
How about a set of A-B-B-A Blackwidow Fs pulling about 20 pullmans. .
Or a AC-12 pulling the "FastMail". .
Now that there is railroading. .
C3s and door buzzer do-hickeys. .
bah!! Scrap it all!
As a member on "another" site says. .
"Its all crap now"

by DutchRailnut

Form 19 there is FRA rule that states: a locomotive must be equipped for the service it is intended for. plus there is rule about communications trainline.
So if you use cars with doorlights the locomotive must be equipped and all passenger equipment needs communications either electric or air.

by Form 19

Dutch..I beg to differ..on the LIRR, per the FRA, communication is assumed to exist if ONE of the following items are met: Radio from Locomotive to cars...communicating buzzer or whistle...Public Address system. Running the MP's on the C-3's are fine because the cars have radios and the locomotives as well.

by Lirr168

Maybe this is going to sound like a stupid question, but in addition to the radio communication with the conductor, couldn't the engineer simply poke his/her head out the cab window and check for the external door lights on the C-3's before departing? It seems to me that this would be just as good viewing the door light in the cab.

by tushykushy

If you have like 6 cars you can't see those lights down there. I rode a train recently where there was a 1500 involved, 3 coaches and a dead DE30. Hand signals were given and acknowledgement from the engineer was a few toots on the horn. No HEP was supplied but we could go 65MPH.

by DutchRailnut

Form 19 the rule of locomotive must be Equipped for service its intended for is still not met if no doorlight is present .
for emergencies yes but not for regular service.

by Lirr168

DutchRailnut wrote:Form 19 the rule of locomotive must be Equipped for service its intended for is still not met if no doorlight is present .
for emergencies yes but not for regular service.
Dutch, if this is true, how was the LIRR able to use the MP15's as lead locomotves in years past?

by DutchRailnut

The old coaches did not have a doorlight circuit.