Railroad Forums 

• Scientology Slogan Trash

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#749370  by tommy3108

Hi Guys,

I was snooping around on the internet and came across what I guess is a trash train with these Scientology slogans on them. I believe this picture was taken in Queens and it looks like the reporting mark on the car next to it is REGX, but I can't tell if this is an REGX. Could anyone tell me the story behind these and let me know where they might be photographed?

#749391  by lvrr325

The irony of that logo on those cars is immense. I also sense a Tiger Woods joke in the making given the slogan.

However to keep it on topic, I would expect you'll find the owner/lessor of the cars to be a proponent of Scientology, it wouldn't be the first time railroad cars were used to advertise something. Track down the owner of the reporting marks and go from there.
 #749526  by roadster

I have seen these cars for a few years, on CSX across NYS either westbound loads or mtys headed to NYC. Not all but alot of the cars have various slogans such as these.
 #749618  by Railroaded

Maybe Tom Cruise & Jenna Elfmann snuck into the Queens rail yards with a stencil & a can of spray paint.

-B in B
 #749845  by Otto Vondrak

Even though we may not understand it, like it, or be a part of it, let's try not to "trash" someone else's religious beliefs.

I do find the placement of this ad intriguing, though... Wonder if this is a trend we're about to see?
 #750240  by John_Perkowski

I wonder how long it will be before the car is "tagged," and whether or not the conditions of the contract mandate the ad be clear.

Let's be honest though, RR cars for years have been rolling ad space. All the major meat packing houses in the day had cars with their names on them.
 #756253  by goodnightjohnwayne

John_Perkowski wrote:All the major meat packing houses in the day had cars with their names on them.
Actually, were those cars owned by the shippers? I would think that reefers or other cars associated with the meat packing industry might have been specialized enough so that the each company owned its own fleet?
 #756257  by goodnightjohnwayne

Otto Vondrak wrote:Even though we may not understand it, like it, or be a part of it, let's try not to "trash" someone else's religious beliefs.
I'm not about to trash the beliefs of the "Church of Promiscuity." After all, it must be a real religion if the Church of Scientology is advertising against it. From what I've heard, the ranks of the "Promiscuous" are increasing every day.

Actually, I'd be glad to see paid advertising on the side of freight cars. If the advertising is considered to be valuable enough, it might encourage regular repainting and the clean up of graffiti, which in turn might discourage vandalism in the first place. If this is actually a trend, and not an isolated phenomenon, it might be a positive development for the industry as a whole.