Railroad Forums 

• Saving Adirondack 25

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1559139  by ut-1

On display at Utica's Children's Museum since December 1986, Adirondack No. 25, an ALCo RSC2, was moved off the property yesterday. The engine, owned by the Utica & Mohawk Valley Chapter NRHS, had to be moved because the Museum is selling the property on which the locomotive rested for 34 years. No. 25 was in danger of being scrapped; however, pretty much at the last minute a home was found for it at the Remsen Depot in northern Oneida County.

The dining car and caboose, also on Museum grounds, will soon be moved as well, the diner to Remsen Depot and the ex-PRR caboose to a private owner in Ohio.

Here's a video showing a good deal of the moving activity yesterday:

#1559148  by Benjamin Maggi

Great video. I am glad it is being saved.

Question: was the engine ever displayed in Utica in a brown paint scheme? I seem to remember as a child (1980s) seeing it in brown, not in its current green. But I might be mis-remembering it.
 #1559477  by lvrr325

This ex-SCL engine came from a power plant where it was painted mostly orange with purple hood sides. It ran that way the entire run of the original Adirondack Railway and on into storage nearby at the NYS&W shops. Maybe when they first moved it over there it was still orange (the purple faded to more of a blue by 1983). By 1988 it was green.

I see NYS&W robbed some steps and a pilot off it while it sat, or it derailed somewhere and was damaged.
 #1559525  by Benjamin Maggi

Thanks. My memory is probably just faulty as I recall it being on display with a chocolate brown scheme with gold lettering. If it was only either in its faded orange/purple scheme or the current green with gold scheme, then I am clearly mistaken and thinking of something else.
 #1559527  by traingeek8223

Ben

It was painted in solid red primer when it was first put on display. That's what you are remembering. It was painted green after being placed on the display track.
 #1560484  by tree68

You've never climbed the hill into Remsen...
 #1560485  by traingeek8223

Remember too #25 does not have working brakes so the extra locomotive and hopper make up for that.
 #1560527  by lvrr325

All the parts that were taken off it and scrapped it's a wonder it can even move on it's own wheels at this point.