• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

There is a paper plant in Corninth, which closed about 12-years ago. I have read that local officials are trying to attract a buyer for it. Maybe the boxcars are in anticiaption of the paper traffic?

Another guess- since salt is sometimes bagged and then shipped by boxcar, could the same be done for the mine tailings the S&NC plans to haul?
  by Otto Vondrak

amtrak-wnd wrote:I've been seeing a lot of these SNC boxcars recently. Why did the Saratoga & North Creek buy a bunch of boxcars?
Brendan, you don't need to have on-line customers to haul freight. Boxcars placed into the nationwide loading pool can still generate fees for their owner, even if not used on home rails.

-otto-
  by Mem160

Otto,

Can you explain how that works? I remember reading something a few years ago where it was said that the home road's cars could only ship outgoing loads, and only pick up a return load if the load's destination was on the home roads rails. Is this accurate, and is if so, is this policy still in effect today?

and Happy 4th of July to everyone.

Thanks,

Mark
  by lvrr325

What you're thinking of has been deregulated. If I am say CSX and I need cars for a customer, while I would prefer to use my own, I can use whatever is on hand that's empty to get them their cars. That's how you got so many lease and private owner cars in the pools.
  by Mem160

Oh OK. So I goes the per Diem car charges for having foreign cars on the property was deregulated too? So when did this deregulation go into effect?
  by amtrak-wnd

Thanks Otto. I was wondering if it is a situation like that, because I've heard of several other shortlines doing similar things (buying up hundreds of boxcars that often never go to home rails).

Brendan
  by ladder2

Mem 160: Deregulation (Staggers Act) took place about 1980; Amtrak - wnd: your comment on shortline railroads buying up hundreds of boxcars
that never go to home rails, this was true for a short time in the early 80's (even doctors, dentists and lawyers were involved) but then the balloon burst (about 83 -84) and all those boxcars went into storage never to turn a wheel again! This caused banks to forclose on the shortlines; even Railbox was hit) and many boxcars ended up in scrapyards. Big reason why boxcars never reall came back is due to 2 major reasons: Manufacturing went to Far east; Auto Plants closed; and everything went intermodal (piggyback and containers) . Check out any major railroad today and see all the rusted sidings with trees growing between the rails.
We have a similar balloon going on right now, everybody can't build tank cars fast enough, just wait the glut is coming!
  by Dick H

It is reported on the S&NC Yahoo Group, that the S&NC website is not
selling any tickets through July 8th. They were hit hard by the flooding
in the area this week. The D&H and the NECR have also taken some hits.
  by D.Carleton

amtrak-wnd wrote:I've been seeing a lot of these SNC boxcars recently. Why did the Saratoga & North Creek buy a bunch of boxcars? They've mainly shown up on trains with lots of boxcars hauling paper, so is that what they're being used for?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3539091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brendan
The Saratoga & North Creek owns no boxcars. Those are the reporting marks for the Seattle & North Coast.
  by CP4743

D.Carleton wrote:
amtrak-wnd wrote:I've been seeing a lot of these SNC boxcars recently. Why did the Saratoga & North Creek buy a bunch of boxcars? They've mainly shown up on trains with lots of boxcars hauling paper, so is that what they're being used for?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3539091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brendan
The Saratoga & North Creek owns no boxcars. Those are the reporting marks for the Seattle & North Coast.

I agree that the Seattle & North Coast had the reporting marks of SNC. But they are no longer in operation since 1984. I was under the impression Saratoga & North Creek owns those reporting marks now, at least they are used on the B39 and the BL2 as reporting marks, so if they do not own them then something is goofy as both units used to carry SLRG marks. According to the date on the picture, the SNC boxcar was seen in June.

John
  by ladder2

Praise The Lord!! A real live freight train OR is this a work train with all those side dumps carrying ballast????
  by D.Carleton

ladder2 wrote:Praise The Lord!! A real live freight train OR is this a work train with all those side dumps carrying ballast????
Well, a little from column A and a little from column B. There is a boxcar out of sight on the rear (with a caboose).
  by bwparker1

Is Barton Mines a strip mine operation or deep mine? Where do they load Box Cars?