• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of the operations, equipment, and history of the Saratoga & North Creek Railway, operators of the former Delaware & Hudson Adirondack Branch, part of which was operated by the Upper Hudson River Railroad. Any relevant news stories posted from outside sources require a link to the original article plus a brief "fair-use" quote.

Official web site: https://www.sncrr.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SNCTrain

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Snow-Tra ... 8036344775
  by ladder2

Rumer has it that SNC is supposed to start running freight trains sometime this month! Question has Iowa Pacific been busy upgrating track and ballast to handle these heavy frts that the ore tailings represent? What type of freight engines have they brought to North Creek to handlethis work?Has anyone who lives near this area seen any action on the tracks etc.?
  by Otto Vondrak

ladder2 wrote:Rumer has it that SNC is supposed to start running freight trains sometime this month!
That's the story we've been hearing.
Question has Iowa Pacific been busy upgrating track and ballast to handle these heavy frts that the ore tailings represent?
Not to my knowledge. The track was already built to handle the ore traffic, though I know they had to make repairs here and there to the track that was out of service for so long. Tie replacements, ballast, etc. etc.
What type of freight engines have they brought to North Creek to handlethis work?
The same engines they've had all along. I assume the GE can handle the trains for now. If not, they can add the other locomotives they have on hand, including the BL2, Alco switcher, etc.
Has anyone who lives near this area seen any action on the tracks etc.?
Yup: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... %20Railway

-otto-
  by RussNelson

Otto Vondrak wrote:I know they had to make repairs here and there to the track that was out of service for so long. Tie replacements, ballast, etc. etc.
As far as I know, the only impairments are one rockfall and one washout. Other than that, it's in better shape than the CMRR, having become intimately acquainted with the ties and ballast on both railroads.
  by Otto Vondrak

RussNelson wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:I know they had to make repairs here and there to the track that was out of service for so long. Tie replacements, ballast, etc. etc.
As far as I know, the only impairments are one rockfall and one washout. Other than that, it's in better shape than the CMRR, having become intimately acquainted with the ties and ballast on both railroads.
. . .

I'm not sure I understand the connection or comparison to CMRR?

-otto-
  by RussNelson

Otto Vondrak wrote: I'm not sure I understand the connection or comparison to CMRR?
Based on the sample of ties I've seen on both railroads, S&NC is further ahead than the CMRR when it comes to needing tie replacement. Probably a combination of deferred maintenance on the U&D (I speculate) and more years of OOS (fact).
  by CP4743

On October 25, 2012 the S&NC ran the 821 and S&NC caboose all the way to the mine. So the tracks are in service on the entire Sanford Lake Branch. I believe more track work will be done, but for now, if freight needs to be moved, my understanding is it can be. Here is a TO.com post on the first run (even without membership you should be able to open the link)...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... sg-2904214

And here is a link to a recent November 30th article on freight service...

http://www.denpubs.com/news/2012/nov/30 ... acks-soon/

John Sesonske
  by SlackControl

Hello. I will be up in the area at some point between 1/25 and 1/27, looking to chase the SNCRR snow train and get some good videos to put on YouTube. Can anyone recommend some good spots to get some good scenery in the background? Preferably easily accessible from the road, since we'll be trying to follow in a car and catch it in various places along the route. Also, does anyone know the address of the Hadley station? I was having trouble finding it on Google Maps. The overhead satellite picture is a little fuzzy. I think I was able to find the other stations.
  by Adirondacker

SlackControl wrote: Also, does anyone know the address of the Hadley station? I was having trouble finding it on Google Maps. The overhead satellite picture is a little fuzzy.
It's on Rockwell Street ( County Road 4 ) on the north side, west of Stony Creek Road ( County Road 1 ) It has an enoromous parking lot. The "station" is little more than a wheelchair access ramp.
  by SlackControl

Thank you. Looking at google maps, looks like I can follow along side the tracks for a decent amount of the trip for some good pacing shots. What speeds do the SNCRR trains usually reach?

Also, in planning my route, most of the drive times between stations are comparable to the travel times between stations by rail. Only exception is Saratoga to Cornith. About 20 minutes by car, but about 40 by train. The route the train takes doesn't seem to be that much more out of the way than by road. Why so long by rail between those two stations?
  by Adirondacker

SlackControl wrote:Thank you. Looking at google maps, looks like I can follow along side the tracks for a decent amount of the trip for some good pacing shots. What speeds do the SNCRR trains usually reach?

Also, in planning my route, most of the drive times between stations are comparable to the travel times between stations by rail. Only exception is Saratoga to Cornith. About 20 minutes by car, but about 40 by train. The route the train takes doesn't seem to be that much more out of the way than by road. Why so long by rail between those two stations?
You're welcome. The train speed lomits are lower than the automobiles. I think it was in one of these threads, where it was mentioned the track is Class 2 with a 30 MPH speed limit. The automobile speed limits, outside of the towns along the route, are higher. 55 in the more rural parts.. Pay close attention to the speed limit signs. They are strictly enforced.
  by CP4743

Going north out of Saratoga the train moves relatively slow on the station track and while on CP tracks thru the 2 interlockings to reach the branch to North Creek. Then they have to stop (at least I think they still do) to work the derail just north of the CP main. The line to Corinth loops around several times crossing 9n three times between Saratoga and Corinth so that is why its slow going on that portion for the train.

But if you take a shot in Corinth proper (as oppossed to one of the spots just south of Corinth) you will have to really hussle to Hadley bridge and vice versa since you have to go right thru Corinth and there is often a Sheriff with radar somewhere in Corinth with a 30mph limit and traffic and traffic lights. To get to Hadley RR bridge going NB on 9n take the left turn just before the 9n Hudson River Bridge. This is also the route to Stony Creek.

Then if you take a picture in Hadley you really need to hussle to Stony Creek as the roads are not that great and you can get stuck behind a slow car. In addition, the tracks disappear in the woods prior to Stony Creek and you lose track of where the train is. He has a shorter route from Hadley to Stony Creek then you do. You can beat him but you need to drive right at the speed limit the whole way. Make sure to know where the Grist Mill Rd cut off is and take it or the train will get ahead of you.

Stony Creek to Thurman is a pretty easy chase.

But its difficult to gain much distance on the train if you leave Thurman northbound at the same time the train leaves Thurman. The roads are hilly and curvey and even though they are right next to the track its hard to get far enough ahead to have set up time.

I generally skip the one shot at Riparius and head into North Creek to get the shot coming into North Creek.

Photo highlights in my opinion are Saratoga Station area, Hadley Bridge, Curve along Hudson just after SNC crosses the Stony Creek, 1000 Acre Ranch, 1000 Acre Golf Course, shots along River Rd, and off 28n bridge in North Creek.

The roads north of Hadley have limited shoulders and its hard to pull off the road, especially if snow banks. So thats another consideration with "setup" time if you are getting ahead of the train for a picture.

Same applies in reverse for SB chase.

John
  by tahawus84

Great pictures on railpictures john. I haven't been up there in a few years so its great to see your shots
  by SlackControl

John, thank you for the great info. I think I have a pretty good route plotted out. Looks like there won't be any falling snow to contend with, and the roads should be pretty clear of whatever has fallen already. If I'm able to get any decent videos or pictures Friday, I will certainly share them here. Again, thank you.