Railroad Forums 

• Saco Industrial Track

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#595841  by MEC407

The last time I looked at an employee timetable (three years ago), the speed limit for that bridge was 5 MPH. I think the line itself is only 5 MPH, or maybe 10... but probably closer to 5 in practice, since they have to stop and protect each of the grade crossings.
 #644243  by cpf354

Casco Bay Steel and Wood Structures were active last I knew. I don't know what train works the track though. It used to be a local out of Rigby, but that may have changed.
 #657925  by cpf354

Since the last post I've learned that Wood Structures shut down and that Casco Bay Steel is the only remaining active customer, and the Dover local (which replaced the Portsmouth local) is assigned to work the track.
 #657936  by Hux

cpf354 wrote:Since the last post I've learned that Wood Structures shut down and that Casco Bay Steel is the only remaining active customer, and the Dover local (which replaced the Portsmouth local) is assigned to work the track.

One of the buildings on Lund Road, which had its own spur, is now a hockey rink and athletic training and rehab facility.
 #658312  by Dick H

Correct, the local is DO-1. They went to Portsmouth today (Monday).
Dick
 #658998  by Finch

Huh...I didn't know DO-1 ever ventured that far east.

Now that D0-1 is no longer PH-1, is it safe to say that any time they stray west of Durham that they're going to Portsmouth? Because they're not tying down at Rockingham Jct anymore, I mean. There aren't any other customers down that way besides on the Portsmouth branch, are there?

In any case, they were down that way today because they came back east this afternoon with a mixed 10-15 car consist.
 #659016  by Dick H

Yes and no. If DO-1 goes west through Durham, it is likely going to Portsmouth. However, sometimes they may just go to Rockingham, pick up some cars there and head back east. Eastbound through jobs sometimes drop both Portsmouth and Dover cars at the ROCK, rather than make two stops. Occasionally, if there is no locomotive
at Dover for DO-1 and no through job in the picture that they can steal a loco from, the DO-1 crew will taxi to Lawrence to get a loco. DO-1 now does all local work between Rockingham and Saco, along with the Portsmouth customers.

There are no remaining customers or even any sidings remaining between Rockingham and Plaistow, except for the former siding to the former Kingston-Warren plant in Newfields, which is used to store MOW equipment now and then.

Dick
 #836967  by EastMassParanormal

Does anyone have any info on the branch that starts in Biddeford and runs to Industrial Park Road in Saco? I was wondering if this line was still serviced and how often? Any information would be great... or by any chance photos of a train servicing this branch would be even better.
 #836999  by tom18287

i think that would be the original eastern route, now called the saco industrial track. (i think)
 #837000  by Rockingham Racer

Probably not. The Eastern route joined up with the Western route around Berwick. I asked a question about this piece of track a few years ago. You might do a search. If I'm not mistaken, the track takes off from the main at AR [Alfred Road].
 #837003  by EastMassParanormal

Probably not. The Eastern route joined up with the Western route around Berwick. I asked a question about this piece of track a few years ago. You might do a search. If I'm not mistaken, the track takes off from the main at AR [Alfred Road].
Ahh yes I just found it.