Railroad Forums 

• Route of the Shore Line Electric (trolley)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#185034  by ChancellorOfTheExchequer

I'm looking to trace the right-of-way of the Shore Line Electric between New Haven and New London, but I haven't been able to find a decent map to start from. Surprisingly, the Shore Line Trolley Museum has virtually nothing beyond the East Haven- Branford - Stony Creek route. Can anyone help?
 #185145  by B&M E7

If you're familiar with the lower portion of the VALLEY LINE, from Saybrook Jct (Old Saybrook) down to Saybrook Point, the Shore Line Electric used to FLY OVER this branch, just about 1/4 mile SOUTH of Old Saybrook Station, immediately (1-200 feet) south of RTE 1. At least until 1973, the EAST half of this concrete flyover was still intact.
In 1973, a local character bent my ear for about a half hour, telling me much of the history of SHORE LINE ELECTRIC. I only wish that I could remember one tenth of what he told me!
Going east on the Amtrak Shore Line from Old Saybrook, about 3/4 of a mile beyond Old Saybrook on the South side of the tracks, is the remains of an abutment where SLE flew over the Shore Line. I suspect (and ONLY suspect) that some of the R.O.W. between these two flyovers may now be paved over and in use as a public road.
I too, would love to learn more about SLE

#185278  by fafafooey

Give me a E-mail to [email protected] and I'll have my dad talk to you. He drew a map of the Shoreline Electric from Nh-Osb. He lives in MAdison CT and knows his sh*t.