Railroad Forums 

• Roundhouses in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1029440  by Cosmo

There is. It was not.
The roundhouse in Philips is for the 2' gauge Sandy River RR park, which is built on the old Philips & Rangely/SR&RL row.
The roundhouse is on the sight of the original "old stone fort" roundhouse that, iirc, was built partially but never completed by the P&R. They've built it out to, I believe, 8 stalls, as well as adding their own Armstrong tt on the site of an old gallows-style tt.
 #1029538  by rrr

-thanks so much. can anyone tell me directions on how to get there from Pleasant St.?
-russ
 #1029587  by Rbts Stn

rrr wrote:-thanks so much. can anyone tell me directions on how to get there from Pleasant St.?
-russ
Google maps makes it look like if you head north on Pleasant and take a left on Amble Street (just after Main Street), you'll get there in about a 1/4 mile.

Kind of weird, seeing a roundhouse on an aerial, and not seeing anything remotely looking like a ROW within miles.

OK, Amble street itself could have been a ROW, but it doesn't connect to anything
 #1029612  by Cosmo

Yes, left onto Amble (right after the bridge, ) leads you right to it.
The ROW used to cross the river on a covered bridge, (long gone, but you can still see the abutments) and go through the ctr of town (station still there.)
There used to be a bigger round house and tt in the area across the street from the station. The rh burned back in the 70's, but the machine shop (now a gymnasium, iirc,) still stands.
 #1029647  by Rbts Stn

Cosmo wrote:Yes, left onto Amble (right after the bridge, ) leads you right to it.
The ROW used to cross the river on a covered bridge, (long gone, but you can still see the abutments) and go through the ctr of town (station still there.)
There used to be a bigger round house and tt in the area across the street from the station. The rh burned back in the 70's, but the machine shop (now a gymnasium, iirc,) still stands.
Ahhh, yes. I now see "Depot Street", and if you follow that, it turns into Salmonhole Road (subtitled "Old Railroad Bed"). Couldn't be much clearer than that!
 #1029670  by Cosmo

Yup. The Salmon Hole bridge abutments are still there, and you can see how the rr went South out of town.
Nice place to visit, except during blackfly season. :wink:
 #1029682  by arcadia terminal

There was an engine house in the middle of the "Y" on the BAR at Stockton Springs, the "Y" was connected to the Cape Jelison branch that went out to the docks there was also a modest yard at a potato packing plant there. The only thing left are the inspection pits which had 12" diameter trees growing up in them.
No turntable as they used the "Y".

Up in vermont there was a turntable at Cambrige Junction for the CV branch off of the St. J but that is long gone.

The engine house was still in Salem Ma into the late 60s but the turntable was long gon as they used the "Y" to turn trains.

Peter
 #1029770  by rrr

Alna maine has a three stall shed. Yet I cant find it on google maps-can anyone verify it's location.
-russ
 #1029773  by Cosmo

Jct Cross Rd and 214.
The "Shed" is actually 3 "stalls" and a lead into the Machine shop.
It does not look like a RR building from the air. It's a 2 story structure with a barn-like roof.
There are plans to eventually construct a more "traditional" roundhouse and turntable starting sometime soon, but it could take a few years to compete.
 #1030459  by peteinmaine

rrr wrote:did marblehead Mass ever have a RH
-russ.
Google maps does not accurately show the Bessom Street, Marblehead, MA, area. It incorrectly labels Roundhouse Rd as Anderson St. Bing Maps has Roundhouse rd correctly labeled, running between School St & Besson St. continuing on the opposite side of the intersection, we find Herritage Way. Yet, when I troll over the "Roundhouse rd" area, I find no evidence of a TT or RH. Does anyone have further info about the existence of a RH/TT ???