Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#283687  by PRRGuy

Ok, so far the framing is up on all sides and the west end is almost done, it looks very plain with the siding on. Most of the doors and windows are/were covered or replaced.

#292049  by PRRGuy

Well, the entire South and West sides of the building are covered. It's a beige colored siding..very plain. Also, new doors have been installed where most everything else was covered up. So far they've also starting painting a couple of the other freight buildings just west of the rip track.

#318405  by CSS&SB702

UGH! Progress. (?) It looks like they also tore down the old Shops station building. (That old green plywood shack). Definately not the same place that I used to hang out at in the 70's. :(

#318410  by PRRGuy

Yeah, both the siding and the tear down of the old station happened over the summer..all the other shop building are either painted that cream color or were torn down..

#318415  by CSS&SB702

What other shop buildings have been torn down? :(

#318419  by PRRGuy

towards the nkp line..there was a long blue building..no idea what it was used for...but that one was also torn down.

#318436  by CSS&SB702

Is there anything going on with the old 11th St station bldg? Last time I saw it it was painted white and boarded up. :(

#318464  by Tadman

That's been for sale since I was a kid. GFL getting half a mil when nothing happens in that end of town in a building for sale for ten years at least...

By RIP track building, I think you mean the old shop? This is big news, that building is from like 1906. Has anything happened to the 1906 General Offices building? CSS must be making some good money these days if they're painting locomotives and overhauling the shops buildings.

#318470  by PRRGuy

Nah, since the dispatcher was moved up the hill to "Ft. Nictd" CSS has taken over the whole building..made the old dispatchers office into a crew room, they've done some minor repairs..I think they re-did the roof over the summer also. It does seem like the CSS is making money, rebuilding and repainting everything..

#319341  by dinwitty

looks like an image overhaul, I'll miss that old crusty look...

A building near here got covered over with sheeting like the shops.