Railroad Forums 

• Restaurants and Bars Near New Jersey Transit

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1629425  by Jeff Smith

ARTICLE: NJ.com

See article for list.
The best N.J. restaurants walkable from NJ Transit’s Northeast Corridor line

NJ Transit’s Northeast Corridor line is one of the busiest commuter trains in the state. Traveling between New York City and Philadelphia (by way of Trenton), lesser informed passengers might consider the two ends of the train line the only destinations worth exploring.

However, each of the 14 stops on the railway brings travelers into the heart of unique towns, with every stop worthy of a visit. In order to get riders off the train to get a glimpse of these communities, and because all that traveling can really work up an appetite, I compiled a list of the best restaurants within walking distance of NJ Transit stops on the Northeast Corridor.

All restaurants are less than a mile from the stops, so you can get out and stretch your legs before sitting down for a meal, or just grab a snack to bring back on the train. (There are a few caveats: I wouldn’t recommend anyone try to walk along I-95 or I-78 out of Newark airport for instance, but in those cases a short Uber ride is worth it to get to your dining destination.)
 #1629520  by GSC

Not on the NEC, but the NJCL / NY&LB: Being resort areas, almost every station stop is within walking distance of bars and restarurants, especially Long Branch, Asbury Park, Bradley Beach, Belmar, and Point Pleasant. These stations were designed in the old downtown design, where the station is next to a park/plaza with the business district built around it. Just a couple blocks will find you most any venue you might be looking for. A Google search of each town will give you an idea of the types of eateries and bars/nightclubs/music locations that are near the station. Walking distances are certainly a plus, and taxis and rideshares are close by. (At the risk of sounding like the area Chamber of Commerce, I've lived here all of my life and am very familiar with entertainment here)
 #1629562  by Literalman

In Belmar last month for a funeral, my wife and I stayed at the Belmar Motor Inn next to the station (we went there by train). I lived in the area for years, but that was more than 30 years ago. So we asked the hotel clerk where we could get breakfast nearby. She said that people recommend Hooked, but she didn't know where it was. We found it: next door in the former station. The food is good, the prices reasonable, but with some of the seating outside, the doors were open and it was a little hot inside.