• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by NorthPennLimited

Check out the waiting line outside Overbrook Shop for repairs. It looks like Wal-Mart on Black Friday.

The doors, traction motors, pantographs, and blowers took a bad whipping this week. Not good weather for electric trains. It's not just SEPTA.
  by 25Hz

NorthPennLimited wrote:Check out the waiting line outside Overbrook Shop for repairs. It looks like Wal-Mart on Black Friday.

The doors, traction motors, pantographs, and blowers took a bad whipping this week. Not good weather for electric trains. It's not just SEPTA.
And it's not over yet.
  by zebrasepta

A set of push pull is down at market east station on track 3
  by 25Hz

Looks like something happened east of woodbourne, service between woodbourne and west trenton has been suspended.

Affected stations with no service are yardley and west trenton.
  by nomis

TrainView top status as of 6:40am ...

Chestnut Hill East: Trains #5712 and 6713 are canceled.
Lansdale/Doylestown: Trains #514, #516, #515, and #6517 are canceled.
Media/Elwyn: Correction: Trains #309 and #3224 will operate on or close to schedule.
Paoli/Thorndale: Service is suspended between Thorndale and Bryn Mawr. Limited service between Bryn Mawr and Center City.
Trenton: Train #9720 is canceled. Trains #7534 and #9724 will make all local stops.
West Trenton: Service is suspended until further notice. Alternate service suggestions are available online.
  by Launcher

nomis wrote:TrainView top status as of 6:40am ...

West Trenton: Service is suspended until further notice. Alternate service suggestions are available online.

Website has been apparently down for hours in connection with the storm. Either a surplus demand triggered it or the power outage, not sure which.

People on twitter like to complain a lot, but things to remember include:
1- Safety is the priority
2- Schedule simply can't operate under certain conditions, and this storm is worse than 1994 in some areas, and the 2nd highest cause of power problem in the PECO region second only to Sandy... ever!
3- Though delayed, transit is still better and safer and quicker than driving, 99% of the time or at least half the time. So complaining about taking the train is like complaining because you have to commute at all
4- Should allow crews to focus on tending to electrical power issues. If service was running during repairs, it could cause further problems in speed and reliability and safety. You can't do work on a live wire
  by scotty269

25Hz wrote:Looks like something happened east of woodbourne, service between woodbourne and west trenton has been suspended.

The site loads slow, but is up:

General Announcement: RRD: Service is operating with delays up to 30 minutes due to weather conditions.
Cynwyd: Service is suspended until further notice. Alternate service suggestions are available online.
Lansdale/Doylestown: Trains #544 and #531 are canceled. Train #546 will stop at Melrose Park and Elkins Park.
Paoli/Thorndale: Service is suspended until further notice. Alternate service suggestions are available online.
Warminster: Service is suspended until further notice. Alternate service suggestions are available online.
Wilmington/Newark: Train #2720 will operate with delays up to 45 minutes. Trains #4215, #9222, and #9230 are canceled.

CSX derailment over the West Trenton bridge causing service to be suspended.
Problems were reported earlier at CARMEL, not sure if it's related to the Warminster suspension.
  by zebrasepta

They were flagging 2 crossings between spring mill station and conshohocken station
Not sure if it was a weather related problem our not
  by Franklin Gowen

scotty269 wrote:
25Hz wrote:Looks like something happened east of woodbourne, service between woodbourne and west trenton has been suspended.

The site loads slow, but is up:

CSX derailment over the West Trenton bridge causing service to be suspended.
Oh, man. :( I've never heard of a derailment on the bridge itself.

I hope that the crew is unhurt - from that location, getting them to safety afterwards might have been a very tricky business.
  by rslitman

My big concern, after the rescue of the crew, is whether there could be structural damage to the bridge, which could mean a long term closure of the line, or at least the New Jersey portion. Is there any chance that SEPTA could spare some busses and drivers to, um, bridge the gap? After all, we don't have something like the 105, or even the 22 ot 55, that neatly runs parallel to our route.
  by zebrasepta

There were also SEPTA crew shortage problems because of few lines being down earlier in the day...
  by 25Hz

In related news, ice storm outages down from peak, hundreds of thousands still in the dark. I suspect commute will be light today, lot of schools etc closed. Hope everyone affected is warm and safe.

Also, speaking of that derailment... Saw a freight near woodbourne station just sitting there on the main, and a poor shmuck waiting at the station even though service had been suspended for a good 2 hours.

As for me I'm freezing my buns off in a dark house. :)
  by Amtrak7

Yesterday Warminster was suspended halfway through the AM rush but was restored for the PM rush.

West Trenton was restored at 11pm.

Paoli/Thorndale remains shut down today.
  by rslitman

rslitman wrote:My big concern, after the rescue of the crew, is whether there could be structural damage to the bridge, which could mean a long term closure of the line, or at least the New Jersey portion. Is there any chance that SEPTA could spare some busses and drivers to, um, bridge the gap? After all, we don't have something like the 105, or even the 22 ot 55, that neatly runs parallel to our route.
Service is restored. Today is not a day to envy the Thorndale line.
  by 25Hz

Switches at jenkintown as of 5 minutes ago...

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae23 ... bbhka3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's hope they can keep them clear as the heavy wet snow dumps later tonight...