• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by tgolanos

Amtrak7 wrote:Here's SEPTA's apology, in a tone I've never seen from a transit agency:

http://septa.org/service/2013-11-04-disabled-train.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We're not certain if saying we apologize will make anyone stranded on the train feel any better but we are very sorry that your weekend started off in such a terrible way. We appreciate your patience, if you have any left, but we certainly understand if you're not quite ready to forgive us.
Points for honesty?
  by khecht

Power was apparently out at the peak of the evening rush in the CCCT this evening. I'm currently on a only slightly delayed 8265 though we are now just creeping between each signal towards 30th, I assume due to volume ahead. This Newark train has been truncated to Wilmington, apparently there is an earlier Newark train behind us to clean up those passengers (the PP express that's showing 85 min late I assume). Most trains are 30-60 minutes late.

Hopefully not a preview of tomorrow with the forecasted extreme cold.
  by scotty269

khecht wrote:Power was apparently out at the peak of the evening rush in the CCCT this evening. I'm currently on a only slightly delayed 8265 though we are now just creeping between each signal towards 30th, I assume due to volume ahead. This Newark train has been truncated to Wilmington, apparently there is an earlier Newark train behind us to clean up those passengers (the PP express that's showing 85 min late I assume). Most trains are 30-60 minutes late.

Hopefully not a preview of tomorrow with the forecasted extreme cold.
http://septa.org/service/winter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regional Rail

Frozen switches and ice on overhead wires or pantographs (the electrical poles on top of rail cars) can delay or shut down Regional Rail service. Maintenance crews work to keep the corridor between Center City Philadelphia and Lansdale open so we can continue to provide service on the main branch if frozen switches prevent trains from operating on other lines. On the Wilmington/Newark Line, Paoli/Thorndale Line and Trenton Line, Amtrak is the owner of the tracks we travel on, so SEPTA must work with Amtrak to resolve weather-related problems.
Subway Lines

The Broad Street Line and Market-Frankford Line are best bets for riders during severe winter storms. We keep the cars ready for service by storing them overnight in tunnels and maintenance car houses and we assign crews to keep station entrances, platforms and sidewalks clean of ice and snow.
Bus Routes & Trolley Lines

During a winter snow or ice emergency, SEPTA will attempt to operate all bus service, although a large number of routes may be detoured. We will attempt to maintain service without detours on our most heavily used routes, which generally operate over streets that have been given a high priority for snow removal.
  by rslitman

Earlier on Monday, there problems on the inbound Media-Elwyn line that eventually affected both directions on the West Trenton line. 326 was running about 45 minutes late by the time it got close to the last grade crossing before I95. Then there was another delay because one of the railroad crossing gates had been broken by a vehicle crossing into it. A conductor had to go out and supplement the crossing gear. 326 finally made it to West Trenton 55 minutes late, at 8:20. I gues that 6327 went out fairly late, too.

In the meantime, 328 and 3223 were cancelled. Perhaps a 3223P went to Wilmington from Center City. 326 had a V set. Since it was late enough to pick up the would-be 328 riders, this gave the peolpe who usually take that train a rare morning trip on a V. But forget the railfan seat - that front window was too fogged-over to see through. I have seen Vs on 6327 at least twice recently, so I wasn't surprised to see them on 326 on Monday. Car 724 was in the lead. Train 3755 had a V set Monday evening, and 724 was the rear car. But I don't know if the other cars were the sae.m
  by pete0r

rp71284 wrote:Do the push-pull trains always malfunction this much in cold weather? Was on #1565 yesterday and it was having issues, and today, we crawled into Overbrook, stalled for 45 min after the station, then were good until Villanova, and crawled into Radnor and stalled there for another 30 min.

From reading SEPTA's Twitter feed, they have not had a good 2 days.
I was on a bomber set on Friday evening (the 5pm flyer) that crawled to Overbrook, lost power/heat in the cars on and off and then finally stopped at Villanova. They had us get off the train (11 degrees outside) and wait for 10 minutes for a train behind us to pick us up and then do local stops all the way to Thorndale. Took 2 hours to get home compared to 50 minutes.

Also, does anyone know what took down the Paoli Thorndale line after Malvern to Thorndale for an entire day yesterday? What was the delay in getting them fixed? They had shuttle busses running from Paoli down to Thorndale for rush-hour folks in the evening.
  by South Jersey Budd

All of SEPTA's equipment has suffered from this extreme weather not to mention the signal and switch problems. I have even seen V's on revenue trains with their pans down or stuck with frozen doors that won't close. Overbrook Yard was loaded with cars the day when I went by and there were many trains that have been short cars all week.

Amtrak equipment and lines, including the Paoli line, have had a bunch of switch and signal problems also, there was a pull apart at Downingtown but I forget what day.
  by 25Hz

On train 585 from doylestown.... The wheel slip from the rain is insane. I'll try to get a video up.

Here's hoping I don't miss my connection at jenkintown!
  by glennk419

Currently no service between Willow Grove and Warminster. From radio chatter, appears to be a train vs. vehicle at Fulmor.

Multiple news outlets now confirming, chopper shot showing SLIV's.
  by scotty269

Grass is green, sky is blue, snow is white.

Yes, it's snowing, so there are massive system-wide delays.
  by South Jersey Budd

Hats off to the operations people who didn't anticipate an early rush and sent those 2 and 3 car mid day trains out there to be jammed full and bypass center city stations while the 5 and 6 cars trains sat in the yards and are running empty now at the normal rush hour.

And add the same weather delays SLIV's with fine snow in the traction motors and SLV's with frozen doors.
  by Limited-Clear

My hat goes off to all the employees that worked and kept things moving the best way they could, you think you have it rough, how about those guys that have to try and get home when the trains eventually stop running
  by 25Hz

Limited-Clear wrote:My hat goes off to all the employees that worked and kept things moving the best way they could, you think you have it rough, how about those guys that have to try and get home when the trains eventually stop running
Yea, absolutely. Even though i wasn't traveling the system today, lot of people got home safe and sound because of their efforts.

Perhaps employers could have a dedicated web page for direct communications so SEPTA knows that rush hour is being moved up 4 hours due to mass closings of businesses... Just an idea. An hour or 2 notice is plenty of time to position crews and assemble appropriate sized trains... You could move a few big long trains, break them where needed, send them off, and problem solved before people start crowding the platforms.

I guess that makes too much sense.... sorry.. I'll go now. -waddles off-
  by South Jersey Budd

I agree the front line employees, such as conductors and station personnel, did their best with the situation at hand. Most times they are put in difficult situations and I'm sure it's very stressful for them. The front line employees keep the system running every day and I don't believe they get the credit they deserve.

Day 3 and more of the same, equipment break downs and switch failures. Tons of shop cars at Overbrook and train consists are running short of cars on all lines.
  by 25Hz

20+ minute delays systemwide on RRD.....

It's not like railroads are something new, why the big issue every time it gets cold, snow, or rain? Maybe it's time to get some sanding?
  by scotty269

25Hz wrote:20+ minute delays systemwide on RRD.....

It's not like railroads are something new, why the big issue every time it gets cold, snow, or rain? Maybe it's time to get some sanding?
Wires sag, ice builds up between movable points and fouls an interlocking.