• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by zebrasepta

25Hz wrote:
Limited-Clear wrote:Because it is standing room only, if you stop more people try to get on, it causes more problems than it solves, it actually becomes dangerous, it is safer to express to CC and have those people transfer in CC although it's inconvenient it is safer, they are doing the safest thing, a law suit is not something they want to set themselves up for, all the armchair managers here would e up in arms saying Septa was stupid and shouldn't have stopped, the crew should have also announced it was expressing to give people who need bypassed stations a chance to get off.
Well, what you do, is not let people board and tell them it's due to overcrowding. NJT has done this many, many times on trains i've been on, and at stations where i was. As someone who has used jenkintown transfer about 200 round trips, i can say that going into center city only sets people up for getting where they intended 2-3 or even 4 hours later due to likely other missed connections on the way back from center city. No armchair anything here, just pure experience. It was a daft move. Also, people could have gotten off there, and been safe, there's even a bathroom, and food near by. And what of people waiting to pick up folks on that train, just make them wait in the deteriorating conditions so they can't even leave the station parking lot?
they announced it on the train that they're expressing to Temple, so they let people off at Fort Washington if they're going anywhere between Fort Washington and Temple University

Removed unnecessary personal attacks. AlexC
  by 25Hz

Yes, but if you're transferring, getting off before jenkintown just makes you miss that connection, plus any other delays might make you miss a second connection, is my point. If you've ever used jenkintown as much as i have with the 10 minute connections, you realize that if the system is a giant clusterfudge, you wanna get off there, because at least there you have a bathroom. There is no bathroom at, or anything else around fort washington, and if the line gets shut down you're stuck there.
  by Amtrak7

Interesting alert:
Paoli/Thorndale: Train #554 will operate express from Paoli to Bryn Mawr. Amtrak will make local stops to Center City
  by 25Hz

Amtrak7 wrote:Interesting alert:
Paoli/Thorndale: Train #554 will operate express from Paoli to Bryn Mawr. Amtrak will make local stops to Center City
Was that a keystone with room to spare, or?
  by South Jersey Budd

That's a way to get 554 back on time and out of the way of AMTRAK.

This is also a way to improve on time performance when a train expresses to a spot where it's on time but in actuality the passengers who get expressed by, standing on the platform watching their late train fly by, arrive at their destination even later.

But in this case the AMTRAK train may have beat the SEPTA to 30th Street.
  by zebrasepta

On the 2:12 local to Doylestown out of 30th street, train has few problems: is only 2 cars making it SRO and had problems getting up to speed and had to stop near Roberts yard so maintenance crew can fix it
  by iamapokemonlegend

Yesterday I was waiting at Cornwells Heights for inbound train #754 which was supposed to arrive at 4:06. However this train did not show up until at least thirty minutes later. Also while waiting for 754 i saw two outbound trains pass. When 754 finally did arrive and everyone boarded, the conductor told us that this train was not stopping until it arrived at Bridesburg and that anyone getting off before then was to exit the train because a train behind us was making the usual stops. No explanation was given as to why the train was so late. Does anyone know? Because I am curious to know.
  by 25Hz

That's pretty unusual. Perhaps an amtrak move was given priority or a switch was misbehaving? I didn't see any alerts on the NJ side, so i'm not really sure.
  by 25Hz

Train 330 and 814 running 15 minutes late 6211 running 25 minutes late.

220 and 503 few minutes late as well.

I wonder what the rest of the day is going to look like, since it's snowing and SEPTA has no switch heaters or sand on its MU's....
  by phillymountainrailfan

Septa train 839 was canceled today due to equipment problems
  by 25Hz

phillymountainrailfan wrote:Septa train 839 was canceled today due to equipment problems
Let me guess, silverliner 5?
  by zebrasepta

25Hz wrote:
phillymountainrailfan wrote:Septa train 839 was canceled today due to equipment problems
Let me guess, silverliner 5?
why do you always assume it's a silverliner 5? I know of a couple of silverliner IV's that were having trouble like one of my trains last week was having problems getting up to speed and we had to stop near Roberts Yard for the maintenance can come cross the rails and fix the problem and about 2 weeks ago when we had the ice storm the silverliner iv set had a minor problem with the electricity
  by zebrasepta

Train 519 is having problems getting up to speed, we're crawling to ambler right now(set of silverliner IVs)
Ignore this post there was an speed restriction somewhere before penlyn to Fort Washington
  by Limited-Clear

You sure it was a speed restriction and not the cab signals dropping, or catching the train in front up
  by zebrasepta

Limited-Clear wrote:You sure it was a speed restriction and not the cab signals dropping, or catching the train in front up
i heard the conductors saying something about a speed restriction and not being able to have their small break before their next train