• RDC collection move from DRM to Lincoln, NH

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by DutchRailnut

HHRC took the 5 RDC's of Gagliardi Collection out of Danbury Railway Museum , with possible destination Lincoln NH.
both RDC-a's(140-141) and RDC-b(162) of Roger Wiliams and NH-41 and B&O 1960 were put out to TilCon Secondairy for P&W pickup.

Question is how do you ship 5 locomotives which have not had Airbrakes and or COTS done in years and years.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by RedLantern

DutchRailnut wrote:HHRC took the 5 RDC's of Gagliardi Collection out of Danbury Railway Museum , with possible destination Lincoln NH.
both RDC-a's(140-141) and RDC-b(162) of Roger Wiliams and NH-43 and B&O 1960 were put out to TilCon Secondairy for P&W pickup.

Question is how do you ship 5 locomotives which have not had Airbrakes and or COTS done in years and years.
I know that at least 162 was in Lincoln with a few other Gagliardi cars in 2004. 162 was looking real nice last time I saw it, I can't see why it would need to return.

I do hope you're right though, I'd love to chase it again.
  by OneForTheKick

Moved OOS for repair or FRA exemption perhaps? Did it on the VTR... 15 empty crippled tank cars with no breaks, and an empty Omya slurry tank for brakes. :(
  by DutchRailnut

You can't move non-compliance stuff in interchange, and it needs 100% operative brakes to be able to move.
once on road a 85% brake rate needs to be maintained, so your cars with BRAKE problems are highly illegal.

The P&W did pick up the cars last night with CT-2
  by CVRA7

DutchRailnut wrote:
Well, Dutch - that's easy - you get the equipment serviced, inspected, and approved for transport!
  by DutchRailnut

in this case it would have needed rebuilt airvalves and rebult brake cylinders, non of which was done.
  by OneForTheKick

DutchRailnut wrote:You can't move non-compliance stuff in interchange, and it needs 100% operative brakes to be able to move.
once on road a 85% brake rate needs to be maintained, so your cars with BRAKE problems are highly illegal.

The P&W did pick up the cars last night with CT-2
Cars with brake problems were the "tank train" that had previously rolled over in Middlebury VT.

Ordered by a company official to run a train with 15 cars with no brakes (and multiple chains holding it together) and only 1 empty 40-foot slurry tank with operative breaks on the rear of the train.

Non union road, and I couldn't afford to lose my job. I voiced my opinion on the non-compliance, and was told that I had to do it....
  by RedLantern

I know that at least one of these cars in question was completely overhauled at least 5 years ago, it would make sense that it would've had the brakes redone while it was there. I don't think it's last time in Lincoln was purely cosmetic. Anyone have any updates on it's destination?
  by shadyjay

When I rode the Plymouth & Lincoln Fall Foliage ride from Meredith to Lincoln NH and back last year, I got talking to someone about the Roger Williams set and they did say it was coming back to Lincoln next year (being 2009) for work.

My question is.... why have all this work done to it if it can't leave the DRM yard? Yes, it would be cool if the Roger Williams could go out on the Maybrook or other line, but DRM has no rights outside its own yard. Would they be doing all this work just to run it in the yard when they have another RDC to do that work? Shipping it all the way to NH can't be cheap, unless they have some other plans for it.
  by DutchRailnut

The DRM does not own those cars, Jim Gagliardi owns them through the RDC Foundation.
I seriously doubt they will return to Danbury as Jim is looking for a operator to run these.
Lsast time the 5 cars came from the Hobo railroad the FRA inspections and brake work were not done.
The cars have not been blue carded for at least 7 years.
  by Otto Vondrak

DutchRailnut wrote:Lsast time the 5 cars came from the Hobo railroad the FRA inspections and brake work were not done. The cars have not been blue carded for at least 7 years.
So what you're saying is that someone can get into trouble unless they can prove the work has been done or they were granted a waiver?

-otto-
  by DutchRailnut

My question is, do you want uncertified equipment moving over a passenger railroad like MNCR and then have a brake failure ???
thats when heads will roll.
After all the airspeed sensor on Air France was working right, why replace it , its just a recommendation ???
the FRA rules are a minimum standard for safe movement, they are not suggestions, but basic law of railroading.

CHAPTER II--FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF
TRANSPORTATION

PART 229_RAILROAD LOCOMOTIVE SAFETY STANDARDS--Table of Contents

Subpart A_General

Sec. 229.7 Prohibited acts.

(a) The Locomotive Inspection Act (45 U.S.C. 22-34) makes it
unlawful for any carrier to use or permit to be used on its line any
locomotive unless the entire locomotive and its appurtenances--
(1) Are in proper condition and safe to operate in the service to
which they are put, without unnecessary peril to life or limb; and
(2) Have been inspected and tested as required by this part.
(b) Any person (an entity of any type covered under 1 U.S.C. 1,
including but not limited to the following: a railroad; a manager,
supervisor, official, or other employee or agent of a railroad; any
owner, manufacturer, lessor, or lessee of railroad equipment, track, or
facilities; any independent contractor providing goods or services to a
railroad; and any employee of such owner, manufacturer, lessor, lessee,
or independent contractor) who violates any requirement of this part or
of the Locomotive Inspection Act or causes the violation of any such
requirement is subject to a civil penalty of at least $550 and not more
than $11,000 per violation, except that: Penalties may be assessed
against individuals only for willful violations, and, where a grossly
negligent violation or a pattern of repeated violations has created an
imminent hazard of death or injury to persons, or has caused death or
injury, a penalty not to exceed $27,000 per violation may be assessed.
Each day a violation continues shall constitute a separate offense. See
appendix B to this part for a statement of agency civil penalty policy.

[45 FR 21109, Mar. 31, 1980, as amended at 53 FR 28601, July 28, 1988;
53 FR 52931, Dec. 29, 1988; 63 FR 11622, Mar. 10, 1998; 69 FR 30594, May
28, 2004]

Effective Date Note: At 72 FR 51197, Sept. 6, 2007, paragraph (b) of
Sec. 229.7 was amended by removing the numerical amount ``$11,000'' and
adding in its place the numerical amount ``$16,000'', effective October
9, 2007.
  by D.Carleton

DutchRailnut wrote:I seriously doubt they will return to Danbury as Jim is looking for a operator to run these.
Pity. I love cleaning graffito off of stainless steel.
  by thebigham

The cars were not interchanged with MetroNorth. The Housatonic picked them up at Danbury.
  by DutchRailnut

no HRRC, they did switching in yard, P&W CT2 took the cars that night, so that was one interchange, and since P&W runs over Metro North tracks, its still a safety concern.
Next is Panam then some other railroad in New Hampshire.
ps first available repair shop would be SLE or MNCR in New Haven