Railroad Forums 

• Random European rail pics from 1970-1990

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1628849  by BR&P

This thread may be a bit different - here's the explanation. I'm a lifelong railfan and a retired railroader. My interests are limited to US, Canada, perhaps some Mexican and South American if they resemble US equipment. I have no knowledge of nor interest in European railroading. However, I am very aware that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

During the 1970's, 80's and maybe 90's my parents took several trips to Germany, Switzerland, Austria and perhaps other nations. My dad was a dedicated photographer and while not a railfan, he sometimes took pics of equipment and rail scenery, both to share with me and to document their trip. I am slowly - SLOWLY -sorting and getting rid of tens of thousands of slides he left. Some are excellent, some are "culls".

In case any of these are of interest to anybody, from time to time I'm going to scan and post pics here. I will give whatever info I have, but in most cases it will just be the date of processing and perhaps the country. If I know more I'll share it, if it's not described it's because I have no clue. Feel free to ignore anything you don't care about, but from time to time I'll add new stuff as I come across it. Hope somebody, somewhere, finds something of interest. Feel free to post info if you can provide ID or other data.

The following loco shot was processed August 1970 (My dad was pretty prompt at getting film processed, probably within a month or so of taking the shots)
img773.jpg
img773.jpg (280.03 KiB) Viewed 231 times
 #1628860  by ExCon90

German, diesel-hydraulic, very approx. -60's-'80's, for express pax svcs on lines not planned for electrification. I think there was some tie-in with British Railways' Warship class, which it closely resembled.

In the words of Oliver Twist, "More, please?"
 #1628901  by BR&P

Here's scans of 5 prints. A post-it says they were at Kandersteg, Switzerland, no further details. One loco pic, then a production gang of track machines. Not sure exactly what they all are, I see tamper and ballast regulator functions but not sure what else it did.
img775.jpg
img775.jpg (411.59 KiB) Viewed 184 times
 #1629938  by BR&P

I'll also be posting up some shots by the late William L. Hollingsworth. Bill, a friend of my dad's through an astronomy club, was an avid photographer of both rail and non-rail subjects. He was quite active in the last days of steam in the northeast, and also an international traveler. When Bill passed away in 1986, his slides were given to my Dad and then to me.

As noted in my first post about my father's pics, most of Bill's have no ID as to location or date - he may have had a sheet at one time saying where each roll was but that's no longer around. So the same deal - I'll post anything I know but often it will be up to y'all to figure out what is shown.

These two were processed in August 1971.
img805.jpg
img805.jpg (393.9 KiB) Viewed 116 times
img803.jpg
img803.jpg (331.91 KiB) Viewed 116 times