Railroad Forums 

• Rails to Trails in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1448579  by F-line to Dudley via Park

FatNoah wrote:How about this? Removing an active railroad to put in a rail trail: http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx/lo ... -wow-trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I said in the other thread on this, not only is NHDOT extremely unlikely to oblige...but NEGS has unused trackage rights all the way to Lincoln so this line is under a common carrier with all the interstate commerce protections that entails at the federal level. Once again, NIMBY's think they're springing an Adirondack Scenic-type seizure without reading up and realizing that federal preemption is in-play. If this goes in front of the STB, NEGS gets handed back an instantaneous win. And Hobo can piggyback on that win because it's wholly dependent on its common-carrier interchange to get equipment and supplies from the outside world.

An extremely stupid and preventable waste of $10 grand by Laconia here. They're literally incapable of doing the 5-minute public records search that tells them point-blank what they're studying is illegal under federal law.
 #1448584  by FatNoah

An extremely stupid and preventable waste of $10 grand by Laconia here
My hometown at work. I fully support the trail...WITH rails. It's a great feature and makes excellent use of the ROW. The Trail support group's Facebook page is awash with comments about this scheme. So far I have yet to find one in support.