Railroad Forums 

• Railroad-related restaurants in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1224077  by Ridgefielder

Here's one- the Station House Restaurant in West Redding, CT, on MN's ex-New Haven Danbury Branch. It's in a building that was built as a combined general store and station at some point in last quarter of the 19th century: as I understand it, the general store owner served as the New Haven's agent as well. The front porch of the building actually intersected at right angles with the platform in pre-hi-level days.

http://goo.gl/maps/wmzlT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1224135  by charding

Besides the microbrewery/brewpub for the Sebago Brewing Co in Gorham, ME - are there any other railroad stations that house micros/brewpubs in New England? Never outgrow one's need to have a good beer.
 #1224137  by drvmusic

charding wrote:Besides the microbrewery/brewpub for the Sebago Brewing Co in Gorham, ME - are there any other railroad stations that house micros/brewpubs in New England? Never outgrow one's need to have a good beer.
Woodstock Inn (in an old B&M station) in NH has great brews that are made on-site.
 #1224174  by runningwithscalpels

Ridgefielder wrote:Here's one- the Station House Restaurant in West Redding, CT, on MN's ex-New Haven Danbury Branch. It's in a building that was built as a combined general store and station at some point in last quarter of the 19th century: as I understand it, the general store owner served as the New Haven's agent as well. The front porch of the building actually intersected at right angles with the platform in pre-hi-level days.

http://goo.gl/maps/wmzlT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Ridgefielder, out of sheer laziness and proximity, this is going on my list :)
 #1224544  by dcm74

scottychaos wrote:Has anyone corrected the horrible "backdating" job on the loco at the "Steaming Tender" yet?
We had a thread here about it several years back..from 2006:
scottychaos wrote:and while you are there, please suggest that they remove the hidious "old timey, wild wild west, 1870's era" cowcatcher, headlight and stack on the otherwise trim and modern 20th Century switcher! :wink: :(

(actually..I dont know if the resturant owns the engine..whoever does own it should please please make it more presentable..right now its simply a cartoon..) :(

from: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 1&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
Had dinner there last night (Friday, 25 Oct.). Balloon stack has been removed and square housing around the headlight is gone. Hopefully the "cowcatcher" is next.
 #1226117  by dcm74

dcm74 wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Has anyone corrected the horrible "backdating" job on the loco at the "Steaming Tender" yet?
We had a thread here about it several years back..from 2006:
scottychaos wrote:and while you are there, please suggest that they remove the hidious "old timey, wild wild west, 1870's era" cowcatcher, headlight and stack on the otherwise trim and modern 20th Century switcher! :wink: :(

(actually..I dont know if the resturant owns the engine..whoever does own it should please please make it more presentable..right now its simply a cartoon..) :(

from: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 1&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
Had dinner there last night (Friday, 25 Oct.). Balloon stack has been removed and square housing around the headlight is gone. Hopefully the "cowcatcher" is next.
Latest update as of November 1, the "cowcatcher" is being removed.
 #1226145  by gokeefe

dcm74 wrote:Latest update as of November 1, the "cowcatcher" is being removed.
I can't help but wonder if the ownership is a user here or they regularly read these forums. Quite the coincidence.

Re:

#1227210  by highgreen215

eriemike wrote:Here is another one, though it is an actual street car. The Sisson Diner in Middleboro, Mass. It still has the dish on the front where the headlight once was. I have never personally seen it except in photos. Heard that it was closed for awhile, but has recently opened up again.
This is old #229 of the Middleboro, Wareham & Buzzards Bay which was bought and added to the New Bedford & Onset system. The car was moved a short distance after a serious accident by Mr. Sisson in 1927, the same year the trolley line stopped running. It is a Wason car as evidenced by a sill plate in the relocated door. A recent owner of the restaurant used to have a lighted bulb in the headlight, a neat idea.
 #1227756  by dcm74

PB090138.JPG
Cosmo wrote:Pics? Photos? Img's? ...
Anyone? Beuler...?
Finally able to get there in the daylight. Some scaffolding in place so looks like more work is contemplated.
 #1227764  by Cosmo

Interesting,... from the appearance of the steam dome, I would think they're doing more than just painting the outside.
Could be some SERIOUS stabilization work happening there?
 #1262529  by gokeefe

Cosmo wrote:My guess is that it's actually just a coach, probably "fixed up" inside shortly after it was brought in there. (This being from speculation made on-site about 20 yrs ago.)
I have made a tentative identification of the railroad car at Captain Nick's in Bangor. It appears to be a "T" series Canadian Pacific 12 Section - 1 Drawing Room (12-1) sleeper. If that is in fact the case this is a rather unusual artifact. Furthermore, the "T" series sleepers were least seen in regular service in the late 1960's on the Atlantic Limited which provided service between St. John and Montreal via the Interational Railway of Maine. The "T" series sleepers were cars converted from "N" and "S" series sleepers. The car at Captain Nick's appears to be an "N" series conversion. Canadian Pacific did not number their cars in that era hence the letter series references. I have been unable to find a complete disposition roster of "T" series sleepers (partial is in first link, however it covers only "S" series). Any further information including any assessments, concurrence, criticism or other discussion of the proposed identification would be greatly appreciated. As it turns out this car could be a rather unique piece of Maine and New England railroad heritage and if so perhaps worthy of future preservation beyond its current use.
 #1262894  by Ridgefielder

Cosmo wrote:Interesting,... from the appearance of the steam dome, I would think they're doing more than just painting the outside.
Could be some SERIOUS stabilization work happening there?
What's the history of that locomotive, by the way? Judging by the square steam chests it's pre-WWI at the least.