Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Map with Mileposts and Control Points

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#921736  by diburning

What do you mean by lay up? Do you mean lay over? If so, MBTA trains don't lay over in Framingham. It is one of the "short turn terminuses (termini?)" on the commuter rail, similar to South Acton. Some trips (check the schedules) terminate at Framingham or South Action before heading back to Boston. They do not park trains overnight there.
 #921890  by diburning

checkthedoorlight wrote:Thanks, that explains why I couldn't find anything that resembled a passenger train facility there.

I see the Worcester line has 7 sets assigned to it for weekdays. 501/503 comes out of Boston, and the other 5 come out of Worcester yard.
The Worcester line has a double draft going out early in the morning (I think it's the first trip out).
 #926699  by bostonrailfan

okay this is a slight change of the topic, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. The main character for my book is a coach cleaner and works at the Southampton Street rail yard. Could anyone please help out on what a coach cleaner does and where this position takes place in the rail yard? Also how many hours and how many trains does a coach cleaner work, as well as do they work in a team setting? I am VERY much greatful for all your help from ALL of you. Thank you in advance.
 #926817  by CSX Conductor

During the day M-F MBCR coach cleaners board trains in the yard on Tracks 14-17 and pick up trash and such but not certain how many per train or how long they take. I'm sure they also board trains in the S&I building, as the Amtrak coach cleaners do at our S&I, but uncertain how long they work.
 #927169  by bostonrailfan

What is S&I ? And what area are you near that Amtrak coach cleaners work at, because I am mostly looking for information about Amtrak Coach Cleaners now as my main character works for a company such as Amtrak. Just note that the name Amtrak will not be used for copyright reasons. Also, I am looking for how much they normally make a year and if they get paid weekly or bi-weekly.