Railroad Forums 

• Rail line over NE extension of PA Turnpike near Allentown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1390379  by rwk

So the line into Whitehall Township was still being used in the early 1980's? I visited Seiple on Mauch Chunk Rd. in 1988 with a science teacher I had at Parkland. At that time the rails were still in the road at the crossing but no signals, the rails ended after crossing the road and new homes were built on the row past Mauch Chunk Rd. with the driveways directly on top of where the railroad once was. Conrail must have ripped the track out past Mauch Chunk Rd. to West Catty sometime between 1982-1988. The track is still in the woods before Mauch Chunk Rd. where it curves. The operational track ends before the curve past the chemical company where there's a siding for a locomotive to run around a train. So, the D&H would have used the LV from Lehighton down to West Catty then the C&F to Alburtis then the ex-Reading to Reading and Philly? Only direct routing now from Scranton to Philly is via Sunbury, Harrisburg, Reading. If going via Allentown train would have to change direction at Allentown Yard. The C&F routing would have avoided that. Too late now. The LV is gone from Lehighton to Coplay, soon to be Allentown, and the C&F is gone in Whitehall Twp. with some parts of the row built upon. I live near Kuhnsville/Chapman for 42 years in the same house with my mom.