• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by johnpbarlow

From the video it looks like the SD40 is doing the most side to side rocking while the inspection cars seem relatively stable. Is that because the locomotive is much heavier?
  by newpylong

Lighter the train, more rocking due to less forces from the rear cancelling out lateral movement. This is why Amtrak has a light power engine speed restriction. Pan Am PLED crews would often pick up an empty car some were coming north so they could go 50 if they were light power.
  by jaymac

One factor might be the tightlock couplers on the FRA cars. Another might be that the sway-dampers on the 600 are more than a bit older than the new paint.
  by Mikejf

WAPO arrived in Rigby about 5:45 am. 606,600, 2-500s and a 340 something unit. 28 EIM containers on the rear.
  by oibu

That 600 needs work! It's not the track, it's the power.

There is nothing in that video that shows a rail condition that should create that kind of rocking action. And nothing I've seen at the same locations had done anything remotely like that.

The other possibility is that they are just operating at the perfect speed to set up a severe harmonic rocking action on jointed rail. If you read ETTs and bulletin orders, there are many times where something along the lines of "can't maintain 25 mph or above, must immediately reduce to under 15 mph" appears. It can and has actually dumped trains over. COuld be that if they were running 3-4 mph faster, or 3-4 mph slower, everything would be find.

Notice that the passenger/test cars hardly rocked at all, even when the 600 looked like she was going over.
  by newpylong

On Pan Am if you're on jointed rail and not travelling uphill and can't maintain 25 you reduce to 10. That's fairly standard industry wide. Harmonic rock is the worst between 14 and 21 mph.

The engine only sways worse because the rest of the train is not as top heavy. The rear car is also swaying just not as noticeable. If there was a second engine it would rock as much as the leader.
Last edited by newpylong on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by gokeefe

Interesting video ... To me it almost looked as if the engine had more of a problem with the track than the track measuring cars.
  by hh660

2:55 PM, 6.30.17
Two Pan Am 600's with mixed freight heading west on track 1 at Mountain Branch.
Included at the end of the train were 30 water containers-25 on the usual spine cars and 5 containers in single well cars.
S
  by hh660

4:30 PM, 6.30.17
Pan Am 7561 and 7535 with 110 tank cars and 2 buffers, heading west past Mountain Branch on track 1
S
  by Cosakita18

Verso is permanently shutting down the #3 paper machine in Jay, and laying off 120 employees.

http://www.wmtw.com/article/verso-to-la ... l/10328351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verso Corporation announced Wednesday it will permanently shut down its No. 3 paper machine at its Androscoggin Mill, impacting 120 employees.

The mill will reduce its paper production by about 200,000 tons, the company said. The machine has not been operating since January due to declining demand.
Looks like the cutbacks in PORU / RUPO might be permanent.
  by KSmitty

Had the chance to shoot WAMA on the east end this past week. 377, 516, 507 & 12 cars. 11 empty centerbeams, 1 COER F plate.

Looking at some reports I've been tracking over the last few weeks trains have been 10-25 cars, both ways. Today they took 72 east, but that includes 40 empty centerbeams, at least some of which are likely bound for storage, 5 for the grinder at 'Keag, leaving only 25 cars of manifest, and 3 of those are ties/rail for Irving. Train size certainly isn't what it was back in 2014 when 72 cars wasn't uncommon and 40 was a daily standard.

Anyway, on the lighter side, here's a shot of 377 on the Bridge in Lincoln. The timing, right around 06:00 into Lincoln if perfect for shooting, as most of the shots are perfectly lit with early morning sunshine for at least a few more weeks...Of course if you want to shoot the operation it means hauling yourself to Lincoln for 6AM...

https://flic.kr/p/X5kjim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gokeefe

It never fails to amaze me how much of an "antique" look Pan Am has at times. It's the setting just as much as their own trains but the effect is mesmerizing nonetheless.
  by ShortlinesUSA

Here's a shot from back in the days when they ran south in the mornings from Keag. Same spot, different direction. The train was MABA at the time. Unless I can't see it for the weeds, the water was higher when I took this. I remember trekking out into the bog, a little concerned the footing may get soft, but it fortunately did not. But I did have visions of pulling a summer version of KB, up to my neck in mud rather than falling through ice...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133436477 ... ed-public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;