• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CPF66

I want to say at the end it was just inbound chlorite cars and those empties going out. There are photos on NERail way back when of two GP35's on the road job at Baring.
Its a miracle the mill didn't end up like half a dozen of the closed ones up here. Differed maintenance in the 80's and 90's, plus Domtar's ownership pretty much bled the place dry. I think the same year the mill was sold, Guilford and NBSR got hit with a record amount of rain. I remember reading on here years ago that Guilford had a bunch of washouts and several miles on NBSR's Saint Stephen Sub got washed away. At the time Irving was looking at constructing a massive open pit sand and gravel operation north of Saint Stephen, which is probably the only reason why the line was rebuilt. At the time they had hardly any interchange traffic and barely any customers in Saint Stephen unlike today.

I know soon after the line was sold to the mill before the two railroads and the mill got the sale/operations ironed out, the mill had the line fixed enough for it to be passable, and they were using the track mobile they owned to move a car or two at a time to Calais and back.
  by S1f3432

L053 traveled east today behind 512-515 towing LTEX 1524 and 31 cars meeting L054 at Leeds Jct with matched
pair 503-504 with 21 cars. The crews swapped the entire trains today instead of hanging onto their power like
they usually do. Spotted a crew from R.J.Corman with a highrail excavator equipped with a magnet towing a
small flat car distributing tie plates at Rumford Junction- they were working at New Gloucester last Friday.
LTEX 1524 is apparently for the mill at Rumford.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by newpylong

Is that from Pleasant Valley or whatever that place is called?
  by NHV 669

The return trip east was 3 units, and also 30 cars. One of the SD23s leading, an SD-40 variant, and one of the Dash-8 standard cabs.
  by CPF66

I believe from MP16-28 was bumped to 40 last week. Lincoln still needs rail to get above 25, as for MP3-16 I am not sure why that wasn't increased.
  by BM6569

Which is the short section near Keag that is still jointed rail?
  by CPF66

From MP 0.0-MP3 is still all 85 pound. Due to the number of crossings in that area plus the track work going on with the sidings, it probably made sense not to replace it. One of the locals at 'keag said they were told CSX wants to put in two more sidings, and extend the existing ones to the first crossing in Winn. I am guessing there will also be service roads on both sides, judging by the amount of brush cutting.
  by newpylong

It also wasn't a priority as it's Other than Main from Winn to Keag.
  by CPF66

CSX has been dumping ballast in a few spots between NMJ and Mattawamkeag over the last week or so. It seems like the work is being done mainly in spots which washed out over the winter.
  by NHV 669

An SD40-2 and a C40-8 led 42 cars west on L072 west through Lincoln before 8pm tonight.