• "Patriot Corridor"

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by mick

[quote="Otto Vondrak"][quote
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

by roberttosh

Mick,

You are absolutely right! I don't know what it will take for certain people to believe that there is stuff going on behind the scenes here, and hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole damn thing fell through, but nonetheless, the negotiating has been going on for months now at the highest levles and it most definately involves more than an NS investment in track structure! There could be an announcement any day now I'm guessing...

by tom18287

if this supposed sale happened....what would it mean for freight around this area? possible expansion of customers, use some unused lines and branches?

by MEC407

roberttosh wrote:I don't know what it will take for certain people to believe that there is stuff going on behind the scenes here...
You can't really blame people for being skeptical. How many years have similar rumors been floating around, and how many of them have been true? It's like the story of the boy who cried wolf... eventually nobody believed him. That doesn't mean he wasn't eventually telling the truth, but the folks who didn't believe him had every reason to be skeptical.

In the meantime, let's all just sit back and enjoy the ride. What will be, will be!

by roberttosh

MEC407 wrote:
roberttosh wrote:I don't know what it will take for certain people to believe that there is stuff going on behind the scenes here...
You can't really blame people for being skeptical. How many years have similar rumors been floating around, and how many of them have been true? It's like the story of the boy who cried wolf... eventually nobody believed him. That doesn't mean he wasn't eventually telling the truth, but the folks who didn't believe him had every reason to be skeptical.

In the meantime, let's all just sit back and enjoy the ride. What will be, will be!
It's not a matter of truth, because as I've stated numerous times, the negotiations ARE taking place. I have discussed this ad nauseum with more than one person DIRECTLY involved; so for me to hear people say this is just a rumor is no different than someone saying it's a rumor that the sun will rise in the East. Again, I'm not guaranteeing it will happen, but there has been a lot of time and effort put into this by both sides and everything is pointing to an agreement.

I mentioned on this board months before anyone knew a thing about it that Ford was leaving Ayer and there are presently other very interesting tidbits involving other local railroads that I would normally want to pass along, but quite frankly, with everyone being so negative about any "inside" info, I guess I'll just keep quiet...

by newpylong

Supposedly they are a few things left to negotiate but stuff is actually happening regarding this. We're at least going to see Mechanicville back in some respect.

by CN9634

In this whole business of being a railfan, things are always being said and heard. I think that if I hear something from someone, whether it is a rumor or not, that it wont hurt anyone. I think it's best to throw out what you heard so either you can get a confirmation of what's been said, or a flat out no one has any idea. But you know what, either way we've taken a step forward. By throwing out anything, no matter how crazy, we still figure something out in the end. Please continue to share what you heard.

by Gary Young

but quite frankly, with everyone being so negative about any "inside" info, I guess I'll just keep quiet...
""That's good.I been hearing about this for five years now.If there is anything going to happen I am sure PanAm and NS will let us all know in good time.If anybody has "inside" info it is me and I am not talking LOL

by guilfordrailfan

roberttosh wrote: It's not a matter of truth, because as I've stated numerous times, the negotiations ARE taking place. I have discussed this ad nauseum with more than one person DIRECTLY involved; so for me to hear people say this is just a rumor is no different than someone saying it's a rumor that the sun will rise in the East.
...with everyone being so negative about any "inside" info, I guess I'll just keep quiet...
Not everyone is negative. Some of us understand that significant negotiations are taking place behind the scenes between NS and Pan Am. Nothing public has yet been announced, and nothing is for sure until after it's happened. In the meantime some of us enjoy hearing about some of the future possibilities from people who know what they're talking about. Please continue to post your info. :-D

by Gary Young

...with everyone being so negative about any "inside" info, I guess I'll just keep quiet...
Not everyone is negative. Some of us understand that significant negotiations are taking place behind the scenes between NS and Pan Am. Nothing public has yet been announced, and nothing is for sure until after it's happened. In the meantime some of us enjoy hearing about some of the future possibilities from people who know what they're talking about. Please continue to post your info. :-D
""Well I have go along with Bill Gingrich.

by Otto Vondrak

roberttosh wrote:I mentioned on this board months before anyone knew a thing about it that Ford was leaving Ayer and there are presently other very interesting tidbits involving other local railroads that I would normally want to pass along, but quite frankly, with everyone being so negative about any "inside" info, I guess I'll just keep quiet...
Yeah! That'll teach me a lesson! I don't know what you're "holding back" but if you don't want to contribute, you don't have to.

-otto-

by NellsChoo

OK, maybe some folks DO have inside info. Maybe they should indeed keep it to themselves. Loose lips sink ships after all. :wink:

Then again, when they DO share, they always add that "wink wink", so you never know if you should take it as truth.

A LOT of railfans pipe-dream and say stuff THEY want to see happen. Which is why a lot of us don't always trust what we hear. Sometimes railroad employees can be the same way...

If the folks posting here DO have info, it is up to THEM if they want to share. They have every right. But we have every right to be a little skeptical, too.

I still say, if there is a buyout happening, even some kind of new trackage rights, NS stockholders would have to be involved, the government to an extent, there would have to be a lot of talk with PanAm (a private company with stubborn leaders), and there would HAVE to be some official press SOMEWHERE for us to read in print!

Who knows, tomorrow NS may suddenly own something called Boston & Maine and reveal a new paint scheme. Maybe they'll rip up all the track and sell the property.

And then again, maybe everything will be the same.

We should all just calm down and wait-and-see.

JD

by roberttosh

Otto Vondrak wrote:
roberttosh wrote:I mentioned on this board months before anyone knew a thing about it that Ford was leaving Ayer and there are presently other very interesting tidbits involving other local railroads that I would normally want to pass along, but quite frankly, with everyone being so negative about any "inside" info, I guess I'll just keep quiet...
Yeah! That'll teach me a lesson! I don't know what you're "holding back" but if you don't want to contribute, you don't have to.

-otto-
Thanks, I thought maybe it was the law that I had to post everything I knew!! ...and judging from some of the statements you yourself have made, you're about the last person who should be turning down the opportunity to actually learn something about railroading.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks, I thought maybe it was the law that I had to post everything I knew!! ...and judging from some of the statements you yourself have made, you're about the last person who should be turning down the opportunity to actually learn something about railroading.
Robert, I sure don't know it all. All I know is that when railroad lines change hands, there's a whole public process that goes with it. So far, I haven't seen any evidence of that. So you bring what you have to the table (if you want), and I'll bring what I have. So far, I bring... nothing. What do you got? Let's compare notes... but don't be mad if people are skeptical, it's nothing personal directed towards you (or anyone else).

-otto-

by NHN503

I'm still skeptical as to what is going on and will continue to be until I see it myself or see a press release. I know there are many who say they are getting inside info...yet I also personally have friends who work for PAR, and on the west end, and they say that nothing of the sort thats been posted on the boards is even happening (and these are not all train crew guys, most are management level).

Just my stance.