• "Patriot Corridor"

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by Cowford

IFthere was a selloff of PAR to NS, and the UTU and BLET torpedoed it by playing hardball with bringing back 20+yr old agreements, the rank and file DESERVE another 20 years of Fink and Mellon! I would HOPE that they would collaborate with NS in a positive and constructive manner. Without exaggerating, NS on its worst day beats PAR on its best day.

by MEC407

Mick, I definitely don't think you're crazy, and I greatly appreciate your contributions to this discussion board. I was just trying to understand what you meant. It was a bit vague the way you originally worded it, so I asked for clarification. And thank you for clarifying! :-D

by MEC407

mick wrote:Be nice, or no more cab rides...
Careful... you're gonna get a dozen e-mails from guys on this board begging for cab rides, now that you've brought it up... :P

by bwparker1

I'd like a cab-ride please. :wink:

I'll be waiting on the Lower Road in Freeport.

Thanks for your consideration Mr. Mellon!

Brooks

by mick

Sorry,
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by CN9634

Is there really that much of a stur up with this whole NS business?

by Otto Vondrak

But there have been too many stories of NS taking over a RR and cleaning house, they think if an employee wasn't trained by them, they have "bad habits".
Which might be true is NS was indeed buying a railroad in New England... NS investing in the Patriot Corridor does not amount to a buyout. Everyone works for PAR. No one works for NS. Maybe I'm from Misouri: SHOW ME your NS paycheck, SHOW ME your NS rulebook, SHOW ME where the STB approved sale of the B&M to NS.

Until that time, we're discussing the Patriot Corridor, not a fictional buyout by NS. So let's stop beating the same tired drum, shall we?

-otto-

by roberttosh

Otto Vondrak wrote:
But there have been too many stories of NS taking over a RR and cleaning house, they think if an employee wasn't trained by them, they have "bad habits".
Which might be true is NS was indeed buying a railroad in New England... NS investing in the Patriot Corridor does not amount to a buyout. Everyone works for PAR. No one works for NS. Maybe I'm from Misouri: SHOW ME your NS paycheck, SHOW ME your NS rulebook, SHOW ME where the STB approved sale of the B&M to NS.

Until that time, we're discussing the Patriot Corridor, not a fictional buyout by NS. So let's stop beating the same tired drum, shall we?

-otto-
Otto, what is being negotiated between the NS and PAR may not be a sale, but it's a lot more than a simple NS investment. If it goes through, it will be new company and NS will have quite a bit more say in what goes on West of Ayer.

by NHN503

While I would love to see NS come up and buy the B&M (as it would help in some other areas that have their fingers crossed) I think at MOST it would be a joint venture kinda thing. I think an entire buyout is far from happening. And the few people I know who work on the GRS west end state that nothing has changed so far paperwork or policy wise. Even the so called "PAR employees given NS rule books" is false from what I have been told.

by Railcar

I believe Rob is correct that Mechanicville will be the site of the "new" yard. I ck'd out the area on the afternoon of the 4th and there was little to see from the wye. However, with a bit of looking around I found a pile of new drainage pipe and rented air compressors. A bit more west found excavators laying in what appears to be new drainage for the yard. There are also signs along the highway that have been mounted long term warning of heavy truck traffic with the truck entrance being the west end of the yard. Add couple of hi rail pickups for good measure. Might be something else but I don't think so. FYI

by NHN503

Railcar wrote:I believe Rob is correct that Mechanicville will be the site of the "new" yard. I ck'd out the area on the afternoon of the 4th and there was little to see from the wye. However, with a bit of looking around I found a pile of new drainage pipe and rented air compressors. A bit more west found excavators laying in what appears to be new drainage for the yard. There are also signs along the highway that have been mounted long term warning of heavy truck traffic with the truck entrance being the west end of the yard. Add couple of hi rail pickups for good measure. Might be something else but I don't think so. FYI
Hey there Harvey! Welcome to the forums! :wink:

by johnpbarlow

So here's a dumb question: if there is real excavation and other signs of construction going on in Mechanicville, shouldn't there be something Google-able that would point to PAR/NS intentions? Local newspaper articles or planning board meeting minutes?

I did find this link to remediation work that is to occur on a portion of the former yard where a roundhouse used to be.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/remediation_ ... 6050fs.pdf

Maybe this is a different initiative, though.

by NellsChoo

All I know is, usually buyouts and stuff make it into the REAL press. By that I mean there are press releases and official statements.

When I see anything official related to NS and PanAm IN PRINT for the masses to see, then I will believe it.

(Otto, this is no reflection on you)

JD

by kilroy3488

Let's clear a few things up.....the work in Mechanicville yard area is the replacement of a 25 year old county sewer line...only thing unique is the fact they are relocating it as far north to the creek as possible.....second the city of Mechanicville owns the lower 25 acres of the former yard, dumbasses thought they were getting a good deal, but instead have an enviromental nightmare...DEC is working to clean this up for business use......lastly no local approval is needed accept for a building permit, it's railroad property being used for railroad use...as long as they are within local codes not much can be said about it....zoned as heavy industrail.....lastly again nothing offically has been put in print yet......so wait and see........

Rob

by johnpbarlow

lastly no local approval is needed accept for a building permit, it's railroad property being used for railroad use...as long as they are within local codes not much can be said about it.
True, but building a new noisy, smelly, 24x7 active RR yard on a long abandoned, returned to nature rail yard tends to lead to an outbreak of NIMBYosis, especially once neighbors start asking questions. Newspapers then amplify the contagion. And then it becomes Google-able.