Railroad Forums 

• "DO NOT HUMP" boxcar

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1566502  by D Alex

Yesterday, I saw a westward-bound train go by on the CSX mainline, where there was an ordinary-sized boxcar right behind the 2 front locomotives that had "DO NOT HUMP" in large letters, running the entire length of the car. The rest of the consist was double-stack containers and piggybacks, and there was a single DPU about halfway down. I wasn't close enough to see if there were any hazmat placards on it (which might've given some idea of what was inside). I began wondering; just what do railroads ship anymore that requires this sort of preferential treatment? Extremely fragile things? Wouldn't a moving company do a better job? Explosives? Once again, I'd think that a truck would be preferred. Anybody have any good ideas?
 #1566719  by D Alex

Yes, that is what I saw. Question answered. Does this mean they no longer use those old converted doodlebug from decades past?