Railroad Forums 

• PRR Runthrough Freights?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#556541  by JJMDiMunno

Hey guys,
I've read in a couple of places that the PRR ran freights through over the L&HR, from Maybrook to Belvidere. Can anyone confirm that this was true? Additionally, I've always been curious about these runthroughs - they appeared to most definitely have PRR power, but I was unsure if the consists were essentially what would generally travel in the consist of an L&HR train (like NE-3, or something of that sort), or were these completely extra trains running through over the L&HR?

One of my references for these PRR runthroughs was the Boyd/Antz book, where a photo is available of a PRR runthrough at G-Tower coming off the L&HR.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike DiMunno
 #556597  by JJMDiMunno

Thanks Car Floater - yeah, I saw that thread, and I'm more interested in how these runthroughs actually worked...as in, whether or not they just left the PRR engines on something like the westbound NE-3, or if the standard NE-3 ran with L&HR power, and the PRR trains were just extra freights re-routed from other routes.

Mike DiMunno
 #559091  by philipmartin

In 1960 the PRR had a brief tug boat strike, so they ran a lot of freight over the L&H and across the Poughkeepsie bridge. I worked G tower from 1960 to "64, and again in '72 when it closed. I was on vacation during the tug boat strike, so only heard about it.
Philip Martin