Railroad Forums 

• Providence Line Electrification

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#891281  by digitalsciguy

In an attempt to re-rail the topic here, as it appears we've plunged into the minutiae of the NEC, I'm interested to see how the CalTrain electrification effort turns out, if ever the NIMBYs will shut up and/or contribute something positive to the public process over there (oh wait...). Diesel operation has pretty much bankrupted their operations and they have to put in the capital investment to electrify and buy all new equipment, otherwise drastically cut service, which will only serve to put them further into the red.

Further - and this is something that has been mentioned in the Green Line Type 9 thread but I've not yet seen discussed here - CalTrain has filed for a waiver from the FRA of the weight and design restrictions that make American trains so expensive and inefficient since we can't just pull tried and true, off-the-shelf designs and port them to the US. And if we do, we end up with the beastly, expensive monstrosities like the Acela train sets from Bombardier.

That said, we've all acknowledged the extremely high capital investment that would be required of MassDOT, the MBTA/MBCR, and the Commonwealth to electrify MBCR operations along the Providence line, let alone on each of the branches. Being able to order off-the-shelf designs, like the ones CalTrain is considering, should level those sunk investment costs substantially and make long-term maintenance more sustainable since we wouldn't be ordering custom stock at the same volume as NYC MTA.

I got stuck on a train with GM Davey after we left the press conference announcement about live bus tracking for the MBTA and we spoke for a bit on CR operations. He noted he was investigating following through acquiring DMUs to make operations more efficient and reduce running times, but I don't know how far that's come. If anything, it would be in the finalized CIP for 2011-2014. I will be following up with one of the heads of Capital Investment on a couple of stories, but I was wondering if anyone had their ear to the ground as far as whether it would be considered as an intermediate step as part of a long-term plan to convert to EMU operations after further electric infrastructure investments.

Clearly a lot of this won't be happening soon, not while the budget is so tight, but it begs the question whether this would happen if push came to shove and we found ourselves in the same situation as CalTrain. Deval has done the Commonwealth a service by consolidating the transport orgs into MassDOT, in turn making more efficient use of the $3bn for bridge repairs across the Commonwealth over the next 4 years, but will the Commonwealth and Feds step in with another $3bn for the much more efficient investment in electrifying our CR corridors? MBCR is 5th in the nation by passenger volume and could certainly improve ridership, traffic conditions, and environmental impact with a much more reasonable investment than the money sink that became the Big Dig. Would it be inappropriate to look at history for answers to our predicament and ponder how Penn Central went about electrifying their network?

(Apologies to any moderators - I hope I've not strayed too far from the main thread, myself)
 #891411  by digitalsciguy

161pw165 wrote:Not to nit pick, but all electrification was completed by the PRR (and NH) long before PC came into being.
Oops, nope, you're absolutely right to nitpick. PRR it is.
 #893014  by digitalsciguy

Speaking of, and I know many of the people who have contributed to this thread have also contributed to the following one, I love the idea of this GG-1 in MBCR livery, fresh from the alternate future where this forum thread never existed; the MBCR network sees something close to the 300k weekday ridership as NJT, LIRR, and MNRR; we have fast, comfortable, clean, electric commuter trains; and the density of the Boston Metro Region within route 128 and along the NEC to Prodvidence is higher than it is today...
 #894124  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I often wondered how things would have been if there had been earlier NH electrification to Boston how different things would have been...

If the MBTA and Amtrak had electrified back in the late 70s/early 80s era I thought of a plan like this to electrify the South Station base services in this manner...

It would have possibly have been a base and incentive to electrify the entire MBTA Commuter Rail system along with that long thought of connecting rail tunnel similar to Philadelphia's Center City Commuter Connection...

The Big Dig should have included this...and I know that I am the umpteenth person to mention it and say so...

I remember thinking of the MBTA acquiring an MU fleet in the 70s era that would have been similar to the NJT A3 fleet...

These cars would have been leased to other NEC operators while the MBTA electrified the "base" of the South Side services as they were: Providence,Stoughton,Franklin,Needham and the Fairmount Dorchester Branch.

They would have been called back when the electrification construction was complete for MBTA service...

I feel that these MU's would have been perfect for those lines along with electric locomotive-hauled Providence trains...

The diesel equipment replaced would have been used to beef up service on other lines...

In reality these MUs would have gotten quite old in lease services when the MBTA would have finally had a use for them...perhaps Amtrak and the MBTA would have electrified more routes...

We now have to live with what we got...I wonder if there was ever a thought about which way to spend expansion money-like a decision between electrifying the South Side "base" service and reopening the Old Colony services...

But we can all imagine the improved and perhaps more frequent electric Commuter Rail service that would have resulted...

Thoughts,opinions and insight from MACTRAXX
 #902538  by MBTA1016

The mbta will only be able to us those engines on the providence line
and if there is equipment shortages they won't be able to use
electric locomotives on other lines
 #902611  by Mcoov

I still say that the MBTA should purchase dual-mode locomotives, or even modify existing F40s. At Ruggles, Readville, or Canton Junction, the pantograph would be lowered, and the diesel engine would fire up.
 #902637  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Mcoov wrote:I still say that the MBTA should purchase dual-mode locomotives, or even modify existing F40s. At Ruggles, Readville, or Canton Junction, the pantograph would be lowered, and the diesel engine would fire up.
Stoughton, Franklin, and Needham trains just don't spend enough time on the NEC for an engine change to make sense. If they run on those lines the electric is going to get hardly any use; if they run on the NEC the diesel is hardly going to get any use. And that's unlikely to change even if the North-South rail link gets built because there isn't enough demand for service radiating in from everywhere and out to everywhere. People won't go Greenbush-Fitchburg, Needham-Rockport, Stoughton-Newburyport, etc. It's strictly the north-south (Providence-Lowell/Concord, Providence-Haverhill/Portland) and east-west (Worcester-NH, Worcester-RI) interstate trunk-line traffic that are going to run through. And those are the lines that will get outright electrification under the Link (NH Main immediately, Worcester eventually). The other branches are never going to be 24/7 busy enough to be anything but diesels stopping at the same terminals they do today.

Maybe the T leases a smallish dual-mode fleet after the Link is built to get them through the years until electrification is built out, but they're never going to make up a big portion of the fleet. They don't have the access restrictions of a Metro North or LIRR where the only way to reach the terminal is through an electric-only tunnel (requiring transfer outside of town if you're on a diesel-only branch with no duals). And they don't and will never have the large equal running miles of electric and diesel track or diesel branchlines splitting way out of town off electric track like they do in New York. If anything, that makes their purchasing decisions a lot cleaner. They can buy electric-only for the NEC...demand might tip in favor of that even before the Link gets built. They'll obviously always have diesel lines. But outside of some interim post-Link/pre-electrification stopgap like I outlined this just isn't a CR system--current or far future--that has a crying need for dual-modes.
 #902674  by MBTA1052

Well why not lease some electrics from NJT like maybe some ALP46s to run them only on the Providence Line to Warwick,some may think they would be unnesscessary still,because they only run on one line,well build more wired track like to Stoughton or even Needham to build weekend revenue and Readville might benefit as well seeing the line sees a train like once every hour!!!
 #902700  by MBTA1052

Well on that note there has to be something out there to lease or buy at a good price that operates solely electric!!
 #902754  by AEM7AC920

I'm sure getting the electric locos aren't a problem especially with njt retiring the ALP44s. I would love to see the MBTA pick up something but it just isnt in the forcast as of now. There are too many other variables in this situation most of which have been beat to death in this topic by now.
 #902814  by 161pw165

Couldn't agree more, AEM7. The T doesn't have money to buy the sorely needed equipment that could be used THROUGHOUT the CR system, let alone have funds to electrify lines and/or get motors to run on them. Can we please ship this dead horse to the glue factory????