• Next Round of TVM Installations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken W2KB

Remembered to look out the window this afternoon. Lebanon's TVM was installed and operational. There is construction work at Raritan, probably for a machine, which would be near the center of the eastbound platform.
  by Roadgeek Adam

Ken W2KB wrote:Remembered to look out the window this afternoon. Lebanon's TVM was installed and operational. There is construction work at Raritan, probably for a machine, which would be near the center of the eastbound platform.
So that just leaves Raritan and Annandale. Annandale shouldn't be too problematic with the new glorified phone booth and all. Then again its Annandale.
  by faxman

looks like Bound Brook will be getting them soon. There is a area taped off and lines where painted on the ground near the the tunnel steps.
  by Ken W2KB

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:Remembered to look out the window this afternoon. Lebanon's TVM was installed and operational. There is construction work at Raritan, probably for a machine, which would be near the center of the eastbound platform.
So that just leaves Raritan and Annandale. Annandale shouldn't be too problematic with the new glorified phone booth and all. Then again its Annandale.
Annandale's machine was installed at least a week ago, maybe two.
  by Woodcrest295

I have not read the whole theard but is there a reason why njt went with different machines than nyc mta? The mta ones are alot easier to use even after the upgrade. I think these things should be standardized among the systems for convinence and economies of scale.
  by blockline4180

Great! So I guess Hackettstown and Denville are NEXT!!!
  by cruiser939

Woodcrest295 wrote:I have not read the whole theard but is there a reason why njt went with different machines than nyc mta? The mta ones are alot easier to use even after the upgrade. I think these things should be standardized among the systems for convinence and economies of scale.
Because the MTA machines dispense Metrocards which have no value on NJT.
  by R36 Combine Coach

cruiser939 wrote:
Woodcrest295 wrote:I have not read the whole theard but is there a reason why njt went with different machines than nyc mta? The mta ones are alot easier to use even after the upgrade. I think these things should be standardized among the systems for convinence and economies of scale.
Because the MTA machines dispense Metrocards which have no value on NJT.
The old NJT machines did offer PATH QuickCards.
  by mcmannors

michaelk wrote: At the time i wrote an email to NJ transit politely sharing my concerns that 2 TVM's at Matawan just wasn't enough for the stop-
I could be wrong, but I believe they added another machine at Matawan within the last couple of years...
  by morris&essex4ever

I emailed NJ Transit about stations getting TVM's and they said that all stations without TVM's should get them by mid-October this year.
  by R36 Combine Coach

morris&essex4ever wrote:I emailed NJ Transit about stations getting TVMs and they said that all stations without TVM's should get them by mid-October this year.
That would be ahead of Metro-North, which has no TVMs on some stations on the Connecticut branches and LIRR which has no TVMs at East End stations on the Montauk Branch and Greenport (Main Line(.
  by Amtrak7

ALL stations? What is NJT thinking, putting TVM's at the lowest-ridership stations?
  by morris&essex4ever

blockline4180 wrote:Great! So I guess Hackettstown and Denville are NEXT!!!
Idk about Hackettstown but Denville and Short Hills should get TVM's sometime during the summer.
  by cruiser939

Amtrak7 wrote:ALL stations? What is NJT thinking, putting TVM's at the lowest-ridership stations?
Let's think about this logically here. If NJT puts TVM's at all stations, then wouldn't that inherently mean the station with the lowest ridership has a TVM? (as does the station with the highest ridership)
  by oknazevad

I think he's more saying "why bother?" The answer, it seems to me, is that TVMs are more convienent for passengers, as they can use a card or cash to buy tickets, and for crews, as they don't have to handle cash, and checking pre-printed tickets is much quicker and less fussy than having to punch CFRs for every customer. I know I've heard crew members say they like it better. And I know I like them better as a rider, as there's no fuss (so long as everyone gets to the station early enough!)