• Next Round of TVM Installations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by mcmannors

nick11a wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:High Bridge Station: New Ticket Vending Machine available - Purchase Tickets Before Boarding to Avoid $5 Surcharge

A new Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) has been installed at High Bridge Station. Located on the inbound side of the station building, the new TVM is available at all times, and accepts cash, credit or debit cards. Simply touch the screen to begin and follow the instructions.

NJ TRANSIT applies a $5 surcharge to tickets purchased aboard the train when a ticket agent or Ticket Vending Machine is available. With the installation of the new machine at High Bridge Station, this surcharge will be applied at all times on trains beginning Monday, July 11, 2011. Please remember to purchase your ticket before boarding to avoid the surcharge.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... oryId=2798
The inbound side? Ha. There hasn't been a dedicated inbound side at that station for years.
They probably wrote it that way to discourage peoople from trying to purchase their tickets at the Mexican restaurant on the "outbound" side! :-)
  by Ken W2KB

mcmannors wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:High Bridge Station: New Ticket Vending Machine available - Purchase Tickets Before Boarding to Avoid $5 Surcharge

A new Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) has been installed at High Bridge Station. Located on the inbound side of the station building, the new TVM is available at all times, and accepts cash, credit or debit cards. Simply touch the screen to begin and follow the instructions.

NJ TRANSIT applies a $5 surcharge to tickets purchased aboard the train when a ticket agent or Ticket Vending Machine is available. With the installation of the new machine at High Bridge Station, this surcharge will be applied at all times on trains beginning Monday, July 11, 2011. Please remember to purchase your ticket before boarding to avoid the surcharge.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... oryId=2798
The inbound side? Ha. There hasn't been a dedicated inbound side at that station for years.
They probably wrote it that way to discourage peoople from trying to purchase their tickets at the Mexican restaurant on the "outbound" side! :-)
TVM = Taco Vending Machine
  by Amtrak7

Raritan and Bound Brook have notices online now.
  by Roadgeek Adam

Amtrak7 wrote:Raritan and Bound Brook have notices online now.
So pardoning Monmouth Park & Anderson Street, only the Monty-Boonton & sporadic Morris & Essex lines stations need TVMs and we'll be all done. (Obviously Anderson Street will get one eventually.)
  by MACTRAXX

Amtrak7 wrote:I'm all for reducing cash sales on trains so that more tickets can be collected and more revenue protected, but I think that low-ridership spaced-out stations don't need TVM's. (Hackettstown, Mt. Olive, west of Raritan). Just like on LIRR out east (although Pinelawn should get one).

Conductors will never stop handling cash, it's just a matter of how much. The union may actually like this, as less transactions equals less cash on the person which equals less chance of being robbed. The union's job is to protect the jobs of the employees, I don't think NJT is using TVM's as an excuse to lay off on-board staff.

Ticket agents, maybe...
A7: There are a group of "exception" stations on the LIRR that have ridership or use considered too small to warrant the placement of TVMs...Mets/Willets Point and Pinelawn are among them and others are out east from Yaphank to Greenport
and Bellport,Bridgehampton,Amagansett and Montauk...Station Fares are charged on board from those points...M/WP if the ticket office is closed and is not being gated...

Medford is by far the lowest ridership station that the LIRR has installed machines at...I noticed the mention of machines placed at RVL stations W of Raritan-are they the lowest ridership stations that NJT has placed machines at?
Does NJT note for example the five lowest ridership stations to have machines placed at them? It would be interesting to find out what they are...

MACTRAXX
  by Amtrak7

MACTRAXX wrote:A7: There are a group of "exception" stations on the LIRR that have ridership or use considered too small to warrant the placement of TVMs...Mets/Willets Point and Pinelawn are among them and others are out east from Yaphank to Greenport
and Bellport,Bridgehampton,Amagansett and Montauk...Station Fares are charged on board from those points...M/WP if the ticket office is closed and is not being gated...

Medford is by far the lowest ridership station that the LIRR has installed machines at...I noticed the mention of machines placed at RVL stations W of Raritan-are they the lowest ridership stations that NJT has placed machines at?
Does NJT note for example the five lowest ridership stations to have machines placed at them? It would be interesting to find out what they are...

MACTRAXX
I know which LIRR stations don't have TVM's... Pinelawn needs them, Medford does not. Why were they put there in the first place?

According to the NJT ridership topic, these are the 5 lowest ridership stations in order:

Lebanon, Mount Olive, Mountain Lakes, Mt. Tabor, Peapack.

2 of the 5 already have TVM's.
  by morris&essex4ever

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
So pardoning Monmouth Park & Anderson Street, only the Monty-Boonton & sporadic Morris & Essex lines stations need TVMs and we'll be all done. (Obviously Anderson Street will get one eventually.)
So Denville and Short Hills are sporadic stations on the M&E? :P
  by Roadgeek Adam

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
So Denville and Short Hills are sporadic stations on the M&E? :P
Definition of sporadic meaning not common, just a few in between.
  by Amtrak7

And the entire Gladstone Branch.
  by M&Eman

It's interesting to note that while NJT has been aggressive in TVM placement and slow in building high-level platforms, SEPTA has been aggressively building high-level platforms while making no progress at all to make tickets readily available at outlying stations. This is all while LIRR and MNRR have been aggressive on both fronts.
  by cruiser939

M&Eman wrote:It's interesting to note that while NJT has been aggressive in TVM placement and slow in building high-level platforms, SEPTA has been aggressively building high-level platforms while making no progress at all to make tickets readily available at outlying stations. This is all while LIRR and MNRR have been aggressive on both fronts.
Gotta say, I don't think that's too interesting. That's just me though...
  by MACTRAXX

Amtrak7 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:A7: There are a group of "exception" stations on the LIRR that have ridership or use considered too small to warrant the placement of TVMs...Mets/Willets Point and Pinelawn are among them and others are out east from Yaphank to Greenport

MACTRAXX
I know which LIRR stations don't have TVM's... Pinelawn needs them, Medford does not. Why were they put there in the first place?

According to the NJT ridership topic, these are the 5 lowest ridership stations in order:

Lebanon, Mount Olive, Mountain Lakes, Mt. Tabor, Peapack.

2 of the 5 already have TVM's.
A7: I remember hearing that Medford got TVMs installed by the LIRR because of the zone it was in and its proximity to Ronkonkoma for some reason...

You say Pinelawn needs TVMs? You must remember that TVMs need to be maintained and watched as good examples...
The LIRR must have a good reason that they have not installed them there...

Are Lebanon and Mount Olive the two low-ridership TVM stations mentioned here? I also now wonder if NJT ever moves machines around to install them at stations that more warrant them if the sales generated by them do not meet expectations?

Another NJT thought: What is the highest ridership NJT station to have neither TVMs or a ticket office? Is there a "Top 5" of those?

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by waldwickrailfan

Mount Olive is on the M&E, not RVL. however, you got Lebanon right. that is on the RVL
  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:Are Lebanon and Mount Olive the two low-ridership TVM stations mentioned here? I also now wonder if NJT ever moves machines around to install them at stations that more warrant them if the sales generated by them do not meet expectations?
With Mount Olive's low ridership, it's apparent Budd Lake and Stanhope residents prefer riding at Netcong (despite Mt Olive's easy access off U.S. Route 206 and I-80). Perhaps it was a waste to build the all new station back in 1994.
  by Ken W2KB

Noted from the train window a pair of TVMs at Raritan this morning.