• Next Round of TVM Installations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by neroden

Amtrak7 wrote:ALL stations? What is NJT thinking, putting TVM's at the lowest-ridership stations?
They can eliminate ticket sales on trains. This *is* logical, though I suppose the conductors' union might not like it.
  by waldwickrailfan

do all stations include the Metro-North stations (ex: Port Jervis, Campbell Hall, Spring Valley, Pearl River, etc...)?
  by ajt

All the MN stations have had TVMs since Secaucus was opened.
  by sixty-six

neroden wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:ALL stations? What is NJT thinking, putting TVM's at the lowest-ridership stations?
They can eliminate ticket sales on trains. This *is* logical, though I suppose the conductors' union might not like it.
Yeah, that's not going to eliminate on-board ticket sales.
  by R36 Combine Coach

As I said earlier, it's time to go "honor fare" and have passengers carry a valid ticket/pass at all times. No more on board fare checks or cash payments.
  by nick11a

All stations? So, Gladstone Branch as well. Presently, there are none. I believe there is still a ticket agent in Lyons for the morning hours.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Lyons is still manned weekdays.
  by Ken S.

jimzim66 wrote:
neroden wrote:
Yeah, that's not going to eliminate on-board ticket sales.
Some people still might need to buy am Extension of Journey or Change in Terminal on the train. With the ORTs, this would have also included the step-ups for evening rush hour trains.
  by Amtrak7

I'm all for reducing cash sales on trains so that more tickets can be collected and more revenue protected, but I think that low-ridership spaced-out stations don't need TVM's. (Hackettstown, Mt. Olive, west of Raritan). Just like on LIRR out east (although Pinelawn should get one).

Conductors will never stop handling cash, it's just a matter of how much. The union may actually like this, as less transactions equals less cash on the person which equals less chance of being robbed. The union's job is to protect the jobs of the employees, I don't think NJT is using TVM's as an excuse to lay off on-board staff.

Ticket agents, maybe...
  by sixty-six

R36 Combine Coach wrote:As I said earlier, it's time to go "honor fare" and have passengers carry a valid ticket/pass at all times. No more on board fare checks or cash payments.
How would that be beneficial given the size of the NJT system and the amount of passengers carried?
  by JLo

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Lyons is still manned weekdays.
Yes, 5:05 a.m. to 1 p.m, I think.
  by Ken W2KB

High Bridge Station: New Ticket Vending Machine available - Purchase Tickets Before Boarding to Avoid $5 Surcharge

A new Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) has been installed at High Bridge Station. Located on the inbound side of the station building, the new TVM is available at all times, and accepts cash, credit or debit cards. Simply touch the screen to begin and follow the instructions.

NJ TRANSIT applies a $5 surcharge to tickets purchased aboard the train when a ticket agent or Ticket Vending Machine is available. With the installation of the new machine at High Bridge Station, this surcharge will be applied at all times on trains beginning Monday, July 11, 2011. Please remember to purchase your ticket before boarding to avoid the surcharge.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... oryId=2798
  by Amtrak7

Looks like Raritan is all that left.
  by nick11a

Ken W2KB wrote:High Bridge Station: New Ticket Vending Machine available - Purchase Tickets Before Boarding to Avoid $5 Surcharge

A new Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) has been installed at High Bridge Station. Located on the inbound side of the station building, the new TVM is available at all times, and accepts cash, credit or debit cards. Simply touch the screen to begin and follow the instructions.

NJ TRANSIT applies a $5 surcharge to tickets purchased aboard the train when a ticket agent or Ticket Vending Machine is available. With the installation of the new machine at High Bridge Station, this surcharge will be applied at all times on trains beginning Monday, July 11, 2011. Please remember to purchase your ticket before boarding to avoid the surcharge.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... oryId=2798
The inbound side? Ha. There hasn't been a dedicated inbound side at that station for years.