• Next Round of TVM Installations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Roadgeek Adam

When NJ Transit installed the NJCL ones earlier this year, only Manasquan was both directions, but there's only one platform there. North Branch is also all directions, same for Annandale and Whitehouse Station.

(Also Jim, great avatar)
  by nick11a

jimzim66 wrote:
nick11a wrote:
mcmannors wrote:As of last night, the only RVL stations without a TVM are High Bridge, Raritan, and Bound Brook. And they are supposed to be getting them there very shortly. And the surcharge will be charged starting July 11th...interestingly, we were told to charge the surcharge in BOTH DIRECTIONS at Bound Brook (as oppsed to only eastbound at stations with TVM's only on the eastbound platforms), so I guess the machines will be located on the westbound side, somewhere near the tunnel to the eastbound side...
Maybe... that would make the most sense. It certainly would be a safer spot for them to be. But, no matter where the TVM is, it is the passenger's responsibility to utilize them or face the surcharge. I don't particuarly like how at certain stations, they are only at one side and it takes quite a bit to get around... but hey, c'est la vie. Just requires a wee bit more of planning ahead.
FYI, if you board on the westbound platform and the station has the TVM's on the eastbound side only (like Matawan), you can buy your ticket on the train with no surcharge.
Really? Wow. I did not know that. All of these years I've been making treks to the other side (like at Perth Amboy, Millburn when the agent is closed etc.) and I didn't have to.

Question: How does it work when there is a ticket agent on duty but he/she is on the other side?
  by sixty-six

nick11a wrote:
jimzim66 wrote: FYI, if you board on the westbound platform and the station has the TVM's on the eastbound side only (like Matawan), you can buy your ticket on the train with no surcharge.
Really? Wow. I did not know that. All of these years I've been making treks to the other side (like at Perth Amboy, Millburn when the agent is closed etc.) and I didn't have to.

Question: How does it work when there is a ticket agent on duty but he/she is on the other side?
I'm not sure, but I would think the same policy applies. I just got in and am too lazy to get back up to check the book, but I'll get back to you on it.
  by sixty-six

HBLR wrote:They really do need to make buying a last minute ticket easier vs have to pay cash you might not have on hand.
They did. They upgraded to faster TVMs.

Or, you know, you could always give yourself plenty of time to get there and buy a ticket. Look on the bright side, if you don't want to pay the $5 surcharge, or don't have cash, you're early for the next train!
  by Roadgeek Adam

jimzim66 wrote:
HBLR wrote:They really do need to make buying a last minute ticket easier vs have to pay cash you might not have on hand.

Or, you know, you could always give yourself plenty of time to get there and buy a ticket. Look on the bright side, if you don't want to pay the $5 surcharge, or don't have cash, you're early for the next train!
I have the opposite problem and buy my tickets as much as 96 hours beforehand, usually 12 at the least. I just like not having to scurry to get a ticket when I am there that morning. It works so much better and if I have to question my timing, I have one less thing to worry about.
  by michaelk

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:

I have the opposite problem and buy my tickets as much as 96 hours beforehand, usually 12 at the least. I just like not having to scurry to get a ticket when I am there that morning. It works so much better and if I have to question my timing, I have one less thing to worry about.
Sometimes it catches infrequent riders off guard pretty badly. I hear that the new machines are faster so that should help. But I distincter remember when the old machines went it. I happened to be living in Matawan at the time and one weekend went to take the train to a baseball game in the city. Got their like 15 minutes early like always. That stop was jammed at the time- probably still is from what i read- so there were scores of people in line to get a ticket. Myself and a pile of people behind me all missed out and wont up paying the surcharge. Being forced to get to the station 30-40 minutes early to get a ticket is the same as adding 30-40 minutes to the ride- makes picking the car a better choice at times. (now i know better and always keep a ticket or 2 in my wallet when i might be using them- just buy at the machines in NY Penn when I get there). Still every weekend I'd see a long line at those TVM's and some poor clueless person getting stuck paying a surcharge becuase the people in front of them all were completely confused by the pick a number system of identifying your stops.

At the time i wrote an email to NJ transit politely sharing my concerns that 2 TVM's at Matawan just wasn't enough for the stop- they actually sent me a pair of free ride anywhere tickets- was more than generous. :-)

Now I generally ride from Raritan. Dont think TVM's will be a problem there because it just isn't as busy a station as Matawan was years ago (maybe still is?).

It's not like you can tell the conductor to not charge people he/she things "got there in time"- so not really sure if there is any solution. But it can be a problem in the real world at some stations.
  by cruiser939

You mean like put something in the timetable which warns customers to arrive early and make sure they have tickets when a TVM or ticket agent is available. Hmm.....
  by loufah

Do you mean easier or faster?
  by morris&essex4ever

HBLR wrote: I'm talking about people in general who might be in a hurry and don't factor in having to go to the wrong side to get a ticket, then come back to the proper side in time.
Did you read Jimzim's post?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 95#p940185
  by nick11a

Try this:

They really do need to make buying a last minute ticket easier. A person might not have cash in hand.

Not everything needs to be said in one sentence. I realize the last sentence was indeed one sentence. However, your ideas do clash and clang. If you want to blame it on wet fingers, being tired of working with clients, or whatever, that is fine; go ahead. You'll get no sympathy here for poorly constructed ideas.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I have noticed similar problems myself while riding NJT with the 3 digit code used for the older machines...

The new machines are an improvement but riders new to those can become confused also...

The distinct advantage NJT tickets have is that they are good until used and do not expire...

It is the total opposite to the MTA policy concerning tickets implemented with the last fare increase: All OW and RT tickets are valid for 14 days and are only refundable for 30 days and that refund transaction is subject to a $10 fee...

I know about NJT's "all sales final" policy and tickets being good until used is a trade-off I can live with...

MACTRAXX
  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:
HBLR wrote: I'm talking about people in general who might be in a hurry and don't factor in having to go to the wrong side to get a ticket, then come back to the proper side in time.
Did you read Jimzim's post?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 95#p940185
I'm sure he didn't as it wasn't in today's coloring book for kindergarten.

If he was somehow able to make out that there were a string of words tied together to form a coherent sentence with tangible facts pertaining to the topic at hand, I'm positive that its meaning would be lost on him. I do believe though that HBLR would make a very good cave man.
  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:I have noticed similar problems myself while riding NJT with the 3 digit code used for the older machines.
The older Ascom machines are all gone, as of late 2010.
  by Ken W2KB

High Bridge's TVM was installed and in-service yesterday. A small shelter was constructed at Lebanon a few days ago with a TVM foundation/base. Forgot to look from the train yesterday or today to see if a machine was installed.
  by ns3010

Mount Arlington and Mountain Lakes now have TVM's. Last week when I was at MA, I didn't notice any prep work for the TVM (they either didn't start it until after last Wednesday, or I just wasn't paying attention), so I don't know where it is, but I would guess that it is near the exit from the stairwell.