Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7/P42 Double Header

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#921310  by Irishiron

67(11) 104/948 with 6. Don't remember if the pans were up or not. 1" late through Elizabeth.
 #921511  by Jtgshu

Irishiron wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: yea that stuff is BAAAAAAAAAAD....i dunno what it is, but it might as well be motor oil.
Most of the railroads use a non-selective herbicide. In other words, it kills every type of vegetation it coats. And you're not far off. Many of them are based on or include petroleum byproducts.
I don't care if its made from Unicorn Poop - its slippery as snot!
 #921629  by Irishiron

66(12) 104/901 and 6. Excellent radio reception tonight also thanks to the weather. Hearing PSCC talking to a 12" early 67(12) about putting the pans up already.
 #921724  by Limited-Clear

Is there a reason the electric is always am AEM7 and not an HHP8? or is it just luck of the draw.
 #921745  by Robert Paniagua

My Train last year 66 in May 2010 was actually equipped with an HHP8/P42DC combination. I discovered it when I got off at RTE and sae the HHP8 (second unit) and the P42 (lead unit). So yes, it is possible to put an HHP8 with a P42DC or other similar ACSES-equipped engine with revenue customers
 #921829  by CSX Conductor

The ACSES equipped P42's were modified to have a feature which would control the trailing electric motor's pantograph, but this was only done a few months ago, and only works with and AEM7. Robert, you most likely had the HHP-8 running by itself WAS-NHV and then the P42 was added at NHV and the HHP8 was dead between NHV-BOS. When I owned a job running 66 from NYP-NHV the normal move last year was to just 'cap' the train with a diesel at NHV, then they changed it to a regular power swap at NHV. Now they're running the combo because the P42's have the feature to drop the pan by using a toggle switch as opposed to no control of the pan.

(I was told before by a Road Foreman that an dead HHP-8 leading could control a live P42 behind it, but not the other way around.)
 #921976  by Robert Paniagua

CSX Conductor wrote:Robert, you most likely had the HHP-8 running by itself WAS-NHV and then the P42 was added at NHV and the HHP8 was dead between NHV-BOS. When I owned a job running 66 from NYP-NHV the normal move last year was to just 'cap' the train with a diesel at NHV, then they changed it to a regular power swap at NHV. Now they're running the combo because the P42's have the feature to drop the pan by using a toggle switch as opposed to no control of the pan.

(I was told before by a Road Foreman that an dead HHP-8 leading could control a live P42 behind it, but not the other way around.)
Yeah that's what exactly happened, CSX Conductor, the P42DC wasnt added till New Haven, all we had when I got on at NYP was just the HHP8, then at NHV, they would just shut off the HHP8 and add the P42 in front of it
 #922178  by Irishiron

Last night:

66(13) 107/918 with 6 (Bag & 5 Amfleet I's)
67(13) 104/901 with 6 (Bag & 5 Amfleet I's)
 #922246  by Irishiron

66(14) 104/939 with 6.
67(14) 107/918 with 1 Bag, 5 Am 1's, PV's Silver Express, Silver Lodge, Silver Shore.
 #922597  by Limited-Clear

What was all the noise as you left Trenton? sounded good but I bet the locals get annoyed, lol, heck we can't even store AEM7s at Doylestown at night because of the Nimbys (too many belching and farting noises from them, the AEM7s that is, not the Nimbys)
 #922814  by Irishiron

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Ron if you were around elizabeth early this am as I brought 66 up, you would've heard the nice horn show when I came thru. Were you there.
Hey Budd, PM.

My little step-bro caught it at North Elizabeth. Missed the big noise through Elizabeth, but nevertheless. His iPhone vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1FIFN4DXtg
 #922874  by amtbuff

Nice Horn show.. Major buff move... You should blow the horn like a moron around cornwells heights.....
 #922895  by Irishiron

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:If he's out there tonight tell him to expect to have his ears blown out haha
We both should be if he gets out of work on time and I don't fall asleep in the car. Haha. :-P