Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ADIX) Discussion - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#908534  by lvrr325

I have to say I like the green and black better than the NYC with blue outer stripes, the blue just does not agree with me. At a distance it kind of dissapears into the grey, actually.

I think what you're going to find the real reason for that paint job is so that when the units blow oil out the stack it doesn't show, and what does show will be easier to clean because only the lower sides of the unit really need to be pressure washed to make them presentable.
 #908609  by tree68

lvrr325 wrote:I think what you're going to find the real reason for that paint job is so that when the units blow oil out the stack it doesn't show, and what does show will be easier to clean because only the lower sides of the unit really need to be pressure washed to make them presentable.
Actually, the story is longer than that and goes back to when 4243 was progressively painted over several years But, then again, they are ALCO's, after all.
 #909027  by N_DL640A

Otto Vondrak wrote:
tree68 wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:The RS18u currently being prepared for paint will be in the same green and black scheme.
And there goes any desire to photograph it. What happened to the whole "heritage railroad" stuff that was going on up there? Painting stuff for NYC or NYC-esque? I know, I know, the only folks who care about paint are railfans... for all the general public knows, that's Thomas up front...
I think the green yellow and black scheme looks great, a tourist railroad needs a good public image, and these colors definately fit the bill. I personally know the history behind it, and put simply, it basically happened by chance. With nearly twenty years of service (and one million passengers) behind them, the Adirondack Scenic Railroad deserves it's own scheme. They're not just representing history at this point, they're a part of history - and they're making history!
 #910258  by Donko142

On that note, 1835 the Adirondacks second RS18 arrived in Utica today. Lots of good stuff going on up there.
These locomotives were upgraded in 2008 to operate in the tough Canadianwinters. They operated daily at 60 MPH covering about 200 miles. They had to be reliable. Therefore the NBEC maintained them to the highest standards and installed the heaviest engine wayside heaters / Hotstart systems available.These units are also setup to operate in the lead in Canada. This means they are equipped with crew alertors, refrigerators, toilets, microwaves and extra comfortable seats!

#910842  by Otto Vondrak

N_DL640A wrote:I think the green yellow and black scheme looks great, a tourist railroad needs a good public image, and these colors definately fit the bill. I personally know the history behind it, and put simply, it basically happened by chance. With nearly twenty years of service (and one million passengers) behind them, the Adirondack Scenic Railroad deserves it's own scheme. They're not just representing history at this point, they're a part of history - and they're making history!
That's fine, I just wish someone would come out and say that's the new policy, that the Adirondack Scenic isn't going after historic-based schemes and is now only applying their own. If we're walking away from the New York Central-ish heritage thing, just say so. Will the whole fleet be painted this way? Or are we going back to the "rainbow era" on Adirondack Scenic?
 #910942  by tree68

I put together a bunch of prospective paint schemes a while back, including several NYC versions. Just had a request to slightly modify one of the NYC schemes, so the jury may not be in yet...
 #911109  by Noel Weaver

Far more important than paint is the success of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad operation in itself. It is, in my opinion, not a bit important how the engines are painted or even what kind of engines they operate but rather that they offer a interesting and enjoyable ride and I think they do that.
In my opinion, this offers the best tourist railroad ride in New York State by miles ahead of the others and we should all wish them well in their efforts to maintain, operate and hopefully extend this operation. This ride probably makes the best impression on the public of any tourist railroad in the state too. The scenery they presently operate through has no real equal and it will only get better as they eventually get more of this splendid route back in operating condition.
Noel Weaver
 #911189  by Otto Vondrak

Noel Weaver wrote:Far more important than paint is the success of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad operation in itself. It is, in my opinion, not a bit important how the engines are painted or even what kind of engines they operate but rather that they offer a interesting and enjoyable ride and I think they do that.
In my opinion, this offers the best tourist railroad ride in New York State by miles ahead of the others and we should all wish them well in their efforts to maintain, operate and hopefully extend this operation. This ride probably makes the best impression on the public of any tourist railroad in the state too. The scenery they presently operate through has no real equal and it will only get better as they eventually get more of this splendid route back in operating condition.
Noel Weaver

I know the argument "paint doesn't pull passengers," but this new "policy" flies in the face of what I was told about paint schemes years ago when I made some suggestions... That's why I'm trying to figure out what the "current" policy is. First it was paint everything New York Central (or NYC-inspired). Then it was "patch over the old owner's name and put 'Adirondack' on it." Now it's "Make up our own paint scheme." If I'm coming up there to patronize the railroad, I just want to know what I'm going to see when I get there! Is that so wrong? I'm just annoyed that no one will just come out and say it. Why did they go through all the expense to repaint the coaches into a mock-20th Century paint scheme and not bother with any other equipment? The "Rainbow Era" has arrived...
 #911362  by thebigham

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:Far more important than paint is the success of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad operation in itself. It is, in my opinion, not a bit important how the engines are painted or even what kind of engines they operate but rather that they offer a interesting and enjoyable ride and I think they do that.
Noel Weaver

I know the argument "paint doesn't pull passengers," but this new "policy" flies in the face of what I was told about paint schemes years ago when I made some suggestions... That's why I'm trying to figure out what the "current" policy is. First it was paint everything New York Central (or NYC-inspired). Then it was "patch over the old owner's name and put 'Adirondack' on it." Now it's "Make up our own paint scheme." If I'm coming up there to patronize the railroad, I just want to know what I'm going to see when I get there! Is that so wrong? I'm just annoyed that no one will just come out and say it. Why did they go through all the expense to repaint the coaches into a mock-20th Century paint scheme and not bother with any other equipment? The "Rainbow Era" has arrived...
Otto, you are too much.
 #911374  by The Man

I don't know what the current policy is on NYC paint jobs, I can say don't worry about 8223 getting painted anything other than NYC lightning stripe. She will go back to Syracuse before getting painted anything but what she has now.
 #911390  by skeeda

As someone whose childhood years in the Adirondacks were spent watching lightning-striped Alcos, I would have to cast my vote with Otto in the matter of the Adirondack Scenic's latest paint scheme. The green and black looks nice and clean, but it just doesn't resonate within me or provide me with an incentive to make the trek up to Thendara any more. While I'm saddened to see the Adirondack Scenic turn away from its New York Central heritage, it's something of a comfort to know that one can still hear squealing flanges in the North Woods. I only hope, though, that the morphing process doesn't result one day in a "Happy Valley Railroad" that paints smiling faces on the noses of its locomotives!
Art Deeks
 #911710  by Otto Vondrak

skeeda wrote:While I'm saddened to see the Adirondack Scenic turn away from its New York Central heritage, it's something of a comfort to know that one can still hear squealing flanges in the North Woods.
Wholeheartedly agreed, sir!