Railroad Forums 

• Searching for info regarding two companies

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#905197  by mbrownct

Good afternoon,

I am searching for information about two railroad companies that operated in the early 1900's:
Chicago-New York Electric Line was incorporated under the laws of the state of Maine
Casale Railway Signal Company was incorporated under the laws of the state of Delaware

I would like to know if these companies merged or were purchased by other companies and if the subsequent companies are still in business.
I've been searching the net without success. Listings of railway companies operating around the turn of the 20th centuries are incomplete. I've not found any specific references to these two companies.
If this isn't the appropriate place to make this inquiry, please direct me, if known, to where I might inquire.

I am most respectully indebted for any assistance.

M. Brown
 #907095  by edbear

The Chicago-New York Electric Air Line Railroad was incorporated under the laws of the State of Maine October 30, 1905. The purpose was to build a high speed third rail electric line between the two leading American cities. The air line distance between the two cities is about 750 miles, far less than the 960 of the New York Central route or 900 or so of the Pennsylvania Railroad route. Locomotive powered electric trains would whisk passengers between New York and Chicago in 10 hours, 75 mph average speed. Of course, by being a true air line, it would miss places like Cleveland, Toledo, Pittsburgh and many other cities. Grades were to be kept to a minimum. It was an interesting concept. However, even minor things like crossing a creek and its valley in Indiana entailed a huge investment. The company did some construction and a small portion went into operation, more like a rural trolley line, instead of the high speed electric railway. A lot of investors were farmers and small town residents who distrusted banks and either bought stock with cash or land donated for the right of way. The company had no long term debt, only current bills, and lasted until 1917 when it finally collapsed. Parts of it became Gary Railways in Indiana. There is a whole book on the subject. FAsTER THAN THE LIMITEDS, CERA Bulletin #137, by Thomas Bullard & William Shapotkin, printed 2004, hard cover, about 280 well illustrated pages.
 #907484  by mbrownct

Thank you so much for your wonderful input regarding the Chicago-New York Air Line. I will be looking at the book you cited.
Your thoughtfulness in replying is most appreciated.

Am now hoping someone has some information about the Casale company.

Again, thank you.

M. Brown