Railroad Forums 

• New CMSL stations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#872711  by south jersey trains

Todays Atlantic City Press thursday 18 November 2010 front page an article on 2 new train stations being built for the CMSL.
 #872717  by blockline4180

Can you provide a link please??
 #872723  by glennk419

Here you go:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news ... 002e0.html

But Yearsley, the Weymouth municipal clerk, pointed out where her hometown plans to build a new station in anticipation of renewed service on the line from Richland in Buena Vista Township down to Tuckahoe in Upper Township, and eventually all the way to Cape May. Just a few miles down the tracks, Corbin City is also nearing completion of its own station, with a parking lot, lighting, bench and gazebo on Head of The River Road. Both locations are being funded through outside money — Corbin City through grants, Weymouth through Atlantic County open-space funding — in hopes of encouraging more visitors to come to their quaint communities while easing residents’ travel out of town.

There was also a story in the Cape May County Herald yesterday about Tuckahoe's "Christmas In The Country" day on December 4 which will include Santa Claus arriving at 9:45 via the Santa Express train and train rides running all day.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/arti ... hoe+dec.+4

TUCKAHOE — The Greater Tuckahoe Area Merchants' Association, Inc. will sponsor its 16th annual Christmas in the Country Sat., Dec. 4 beginning at 9 a.m.
Numerous activities are planned for the downtown Tuckahoe area. A parade will begin at 10 a.m. in Corbin City and head into Tuckahoe across the Tuckahoe River on Route 50, and it will end at the Historic Tuckahoe Train Station. The parade will feature Santa, who will be arriving on the Santa Express at 9:45 a.m. at the train station and then on to the Parade, floats, fire and rescue equipment, marching groups from throughout the area and local entertainment.
[You must provide a brief quote of news stories that you are linking to! -omv]
 #873315  by rrbluesman

It's nice there is growing support in and around the Tuckahoe area for the CMSL. If only there would be some positive progress like that down in Cape May. I've been disconnected from the CMSL and rr.net a really long time, so it's nice to hear about progress.
 #874246  by EDM5970

As mentioned on another forum, CMSL will begin running the Santa trains between Richland and Tuckahoe this coming Saturday, November 26.
 #876249  by dlagrua

I read the newspaper article and it is encouraging the towns along the line on the Northern end are investing in new railroad stations. Its a start that will hopefully gain momentum for further improvements Southbound.
 #931254  by south jersey trains

The 2 new stations in Dorthy and Corbin City i was told will NOT be built,the railroad controlling interests wants a siding for each station and there is not nearly enough grant money for that.The controlling powers were very upset to hear these stations were planed and ready to go and demanded a halt to the projects as i was told by an offical. All i can say is DISGUSTING!
 #931300  by Jtgshu

south jersey trains wrote:The 2 new stations in Dorthy and Corbin City i was told will NOT be built,the railroad controlling interests wants a siding for each station and there is not nearly enough grant money for that.The controlling powers were very upset to hear these stations were planed and ready to go and demanded a halt to the projects as i was told by an offical. All i can say is DISGUSTING!
Who wants a siding installed for each station? The CMSL, or NJT or the towns or someone else? Im confused.

Its not like there is the chance of clogging of the line and delaying other trains while a station stop is made.....whats the big deal if there is no siding?
 #931332  by glennk419

I interpreted "railroad controlling interests" to be either the landlord or the primary operator (CSAO). What make this even more confusing is that CMSL's access to the CSAO controlled portion of the railroad (Beesley's Secondary) was limited to certain days/hours specifically to avoid conflicts with (currently nonexistant) freight traffic. Originally they had operating windows of Saturdays only, which was obviously expanded to include Sundays and Thursday evenings during last year's holiday season. Although a siding was installed at Richland to allow for lengthier layovers, I couldn't imagine stops at the intermediate stations lasting any longer than a few minutes or less. Even if a CMSL train had to clear up for an approaching freight, the MAS on the line would allow plenty of time with minimal delay.
 #931342  by NJrailfan

glennk419 wrote:I interpreted "railroad controlling interests" to be either the landlord or the primary operator (CSAO). What make this even more confusing is that CMSL's access to the CSAO controlled portion of the railroad (Beesley's Secondary) was limited to certain days/hours specifically to avoid conflicts with (currently nonexistant) freight traffic. Originally they had operating windows of Saturdays only, which was obviously expanded to include Sundays and Thursday evenings during last year's holiday season. Although a siding was installed at Richland to allow for lengthier layovers, I couldn't imagine stops at the intermediate stations lasting any longer than a few minutes or less. Even if a CMSL train had to clear up for an approaching freight, the MAS on the line would allow plenty of time with minimal delay.
Just curious, I thought CSX coal trains still go to Beesleys point at least once a week. Has this changed? (I live near the line and I hear freight trains going through a lot around 12 to 2am, but I guess some of these could be unit stone).

Anway I would be really suprised if CSAO is demanding sidings at these stations, and I can't see why NJT would want them either.
 #931448  by glennk419

NJrailfan wrote:
glennk419 wrote:I interpreted "railroad controlling interests" to be either the landlord or the primary operator (CSAO). What make this even more confusing is that CMSL's access to the CSAO controlled portion of the railroad (Beesley's Secondary) was limited to certain days/hours specifically to avoid conflicts with (currently nonexistant) freight traffic. Originally they had operating windows of Saturdays only, which was obviously expanded to include Sundays and Thursday evenings during last year's holiday season. Although a siding was installed at Richland to allow for lengthier layovers, I couldn't imagine stops at the intermediate stations lasting any longer than a few minutes or less. Even if a CMSL train had to clear up for an approaching freight, the MAS on the line would allow plenty of time with minimal delay.
Just curious, I thought CSX coal trains still go to Beesleys point at least once a week. Has this changed? (I live near the line and I hear freight trains going through a lot around 12 to 2am, but I guess some of these could be unit stone).

Anway I would be really suprised if CSAO is demanding sidings at these stations, and I can't see why NJT would want them either.
The trains that you hear on a regular basis are most likely the Winslow stone trains or other locals. I don't believe there has been a coal or oil train to Beesley's Point in many, many months, possibly not even this year so far. The Beesley's Point power plant has been offline more than operational over the winter months howeverI would imagine there should be some runs soon (most likely coal given the price of oil) as the plant stocks up on fuel for the peak demand summer season.
 #931458  by Jtgshu

Duh, when i saw the mention of stations, I thought of the NJT owned/CMSL operated portion of the CMSL, but now that I noticed the stations, i see that its on the CR part - sorry for any confusion
 #931509  by bluedash2

And an oil train the week after that. That was the one that had trash cars for CMSL to store for a little while. I thought I saw something that Beesley's Plant want to switch over to all oil since they didn't get the money from the state for a natural gas plant. And being all the coal trains operate during the nighttime hours, there never would be a conflict with CSX/NS coal. I take it CR and/or NJT want a siding built at every new station built? For an operation (CMSL) that doesn't run many trains to begin with and can easily clear up if they had to? I'm guessing the "RR controling interests" don't want any accidental tie ups - derailments or engine breakdowns, etc - so they want a siding to guarantee that. Even when CR runs the rare oil trains, they never interfere with the CMSL schedule anyway. All these years I've lived along the line (since the late 70's) I've never seen such a lull in coal activity. Something's up and it's more than just the operations of the plant.
 #931512  by bluedash2

Jtgshu wrote:Duh, when i saw the mention of stations, I thought of the NJT owned/CMSL operated portion of the CMSL, but now that I noticed the stations, i see that its on the CR part - sorry for any confusion
The state still owns the Beesley's from Winslow Jct on down. CR operates and maintains it. So yes the state (NJT?) is involved on anything that happens on their part of the line. Passenger trains were still running on that part of the line when CR took over on 4/1/76. In fact the No Trespassing sign along the ROW at Bairdmore Ave is a NJT one, not CR.