• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by goodnightjohnwayne

Bigt wrote:Today's edtion of the COURIER-OBSERVER newspaper has an article telling how the Massena Industrial
Development Agency has secured a federal loan for 1 million dollars to build a spur into the Massena
Industrial Park. Loan was applied for in 2008.This would serve the Curran Energy Products company
(wood pellets) plus other current and potential customers. This industrial park is adjacent to the
Massena yard. It also states that Development Agency head is looking forward to working with CSX
in getting the necessary turnout installed. The article also states that the neighboring Massena
Terminal Railroad, which serves the ALCOA Massena Operations, is the recipient of a hefty grant
to upgrade / "beef-up" their 3 mile line from their yard / enginehouse to the plant. I have been told
by an individual who works for ALCOA, that because of on-going problems / issues with commercial
truck shipments of their finished aluminum product, that the company is re-examining their use of
rail shipments. When I worked there I recall that we shipped a lot by rail...especially bar stock. Some
of the bar stock was huge....two bars...sometimes one bar....would completely fill a 65 foot mill gon
and max out the weight loading. Could not / cannot move that stuff by truck! Maybe the St. Law.
Sub will see some increased local traffic.
It seems more like just another big handout to big business. Why shouldn't Alcoa pay to maintain a right of way that exists only to service Alcoa? Business as usual in Albany. Alcoa hasn't been a particularly large shipper for quite some time, an issue that's more historical and less relevant to current events.

As far as the whole wood-chip-industrial park idea, it's worth remember that a very expensive siding still sits idle at an industrial parking Watertown, with the unused track slowly sinking away into the mud.
  by Noel Weaver

To add to this although not in the St. Lawrence territory, lets look at the money that was spend to do the clearance project
on the Hudson down to Tarrytown so that GM could load auto carriers there. It didn't last too long before GM pulled the plug
on the Tarrytown plant and today the yard sits mostly empty and growing weeds.
Noel Weaver
  by Bigt

Well, the naysayers are at it again. I posted a small newsbit that some of the visitors to this
site might not have seen in their local print media. As for the Massena Terminal, well, it is no
longer owned by ALCOA or one of its subsidiaries. It is a privately owned company and has just
as much right to seek grant money as any other business.

I have been a railfan of this line most of my life. My late Father was also. His Father / my Grandfather
worked on this line. I like watching the trains up here. So, I would say I have a little vested interest in
what happens to it. If some Federal or State money might help generate business for the line and keep
guys like "Roadster" and his fellow railroaders working, as well as others, then so be it. When the day
comes and the tracks are torn up and the roadbed is made into a bike path, well, maybe some will be
happy then.
  by roadster

There have been recent rumors floating around about increased business up North. Even something about a container site near Montreal which would send unit container trains over the Division. Just seen and heard it all before and little to nothing seems to come of it. Here's hoping, but reality check says, believe it when I see the cars rolling past. Don't let the negativity of some get ya down. Post what you got. You weren't debating the moral/political issues of the grants, just that they've been approved.
  by scharnhorst

roadster wrote:There have been recent rumors floating around about increased business up North. Even something about a container site near Montreal which would send unit container trains over the Division. Just seen and heard it all before and little to nothing seems to come of it. Here's hoping, but reality check says, believe it when I see the cars rolling past. Don't let the negativity of some get ya down. Post what you got. You weren't debating the moral/political issues of the grants, just that they've been approved.
The container site story was brought up a few times over the past year or two but nothing has come of it yet seems to be one of them beleve it when ya see it storys at this time.
  by x1sspic

Q620 just experienced a washout at QM129 (just south of the village of Canton). Apparently not washed out completely because they are still on the move. Track Patrol is getting on the track ahead of them now to check the rest of the track for them.

Scott
  by Leo_Ames

Drove by Massena yard today and the place was nearly empty, unlike how it typically almost always is.

Just a oddity (perhaps driven by all the rain?)? Or is this due to the pending discontinuance of through traffic?
  by NaDspr

Leo_Ames wrote:Drove by Massena yard today and the place was nearly empty, unlike how it typically almost always is.

Just a oddity (perhaps driven by all the rain?)? Or is this due to the pending discontinuance of through traffic?
Traffic pattern shifted due to the end of a big track work program on the Montreal Sub. CN trains were going back to their "normal" schedules. That's why it was so quiet on Saturday.
  by NaDspr

Leo_Ames wrote:Drove by Massena yard today and the place was nearly empty, unlike how it typically almost always is.

Traffic pattern shifted due to the end of a big track work program on the Montreal Sub. CN trains were going back to their "normal" schedules. That's why it was so quiet on Saturday.
  by RussNelson

The Potsdam Specialty Paper (Unionville) spur received its first shipment this week -- a single tank car. They expect to ramp that up to 60 carloads per year. I also finally got around to fixing up the Massena Yard in OpenStreetMap. http://osm.org/go/Zd3eqm16-- . I noticed that the wye track's tail on the south end just kind of peters out into some brush. I'm guessing that they used to need its full length but no longer. The Massena Terminal area is going to be a PITA because "helpful" New York State blurred out the entire Alcoa plant in the aerial photography. Can't see shit now. Do they not realize that there's an airport right across 37 from the plant, and you can take all the aerial photogs you want from a very low altitude? No, of course they don't realize that.
  by Track Tester

roadster wrote:GRMS1 - Gauge Restraint Measurement system. Self propelled, looks like an oversized Wynnabago on the tracks. Has specific devices under the frame to simulate the presures exerted by a freight train and digitally records the results. There are actually 2 of them owned and operated by CSX. They usually pass through every couple years. With the slower traffic levels the past 2 years and all the maintainance that has been taking place. They have actually swung been through twice already. They rechecking all the main tracks in the NorthEast, including the Fulton and Baldwinsville sub.s. Any track considered a "main" track is inspected.
Those cars are now GMS cars, they pulled the split axles out from under them, CSX now hires out all of their GRMS testing.
CSXGMS1 (Small).jpg
CSXGMS1&Holland481 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by x1sspic

Heads up for those interested in the CN "15 Years" logo- Q62020 left Massena tonight with the CSXT 7334, CEFX 1002, and CN 2113 (ex UP, nee C&NW C40-8). :P

Scott
  by lvrr325

x1sspic wrote:Heads up for those interested in the CN "15 Years" logo- Q62020 left Massena tonight with the CSXT 7334, CEFX 1002, and CN 2113 (ex UP, nee C&NW C40-8). :P

Scott
@ CP291, 5:25 AM -