Railroad Forums 

• DL&W Steel Mile Posts

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#798247  by Cactus Jack

Just got to wondering if anyone knows when the Lackawanna installed the steel mile posts that have become such familiar markers to many of us railfans.

Got to thinking about it looking at pics from the late '20's and early '30's and don't seem to see them. Not saying they are not there just that I can't see them in older pictures. Not sure what the earliest is that I have seen them but it is certainly into the 1940's.

So who has the info ? Who supplied these ?
 #799290  by Roadgeek Adam

I've really only seen one of these, despite my coverage on the Lackawanna.

This one at Millington:
 #811111  by izzy1975

i just picked up oswegos DLW steel mile marker....wow heavy. Ours was white on top black on bottom like one in photo above. Ours is broke as for as i think it was knocked over when the railroad was abandoned. Question tho, where did they get the mileage from (starting point) was it Scranton PA.
 #816507  by PassRailSavesFuel

izzy1975 wrote:i just picked up oswegos DLW steel mile marker....wow heavy. Ours was white on top black on bottom like one in photo above. Ours is broke as for as i think it was knocked over when the railroad was abandoned. Question tho, where did they get the mileage from (starting point) was it Scranton PA.
How is your milepost? Have you restored it? Want to sell it? I want to copy it. The distance is from Hoboken. Which is not what timetable mileage is, that is shown from New York. Ground Zero of all places( Milepost Zero?) . Maybe someone can explain the "water" mile? Please write to me, I would enjoy hearing from you! I expect to be in your area (Syracuse for the NRHS convention in a few weeks) Syracuse is the closest best stop on Amtrak to Scranton if your comming from the wild west. Which I do. railfully yours, a Lackawanna friend.