Railroad Forums 

• Famous Model Railroaders.

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#805832  by mirrodie

I dont know if Dudley Moore's scene in Arthur mirrored any reality but...

I just heard on the radio this morning that Rod Stewart is huge into model railroading. Evening go so far asto bringing model railroad projects to create while on tour!

IN his LA mansion, he has a scale mock up of Grand Central station.

Don't know if this is news or not, but I thought it was cool to share. Any others you may have heard of?
 #806135  by CNJ999

The list of famous model railroaders is indeed long...particularly in the past. Those well known figures that immediately come to mind for me include Walt Disney, one of the Marx brothers (I can never get their names straight), Joe DiMaggio, Roy Campenella, Frank Sinatra, together with a host of others. Likewise, in that earlier era modeling railroading was looked upon as a much more accepted hobby for adult males than, I'm afraid, it is today. Thus, famous entertainers and sports figures, who were also hobbyists, were much more open about speaking of it.

CNJ999
 #806191  by GOLDEN-ARM

dont we already have a thread like this, possibly two of them?
 #806535  by Dieter

If you have spent time around New York in the 70's and 80's, CRAZY EDDIE pitchman and former WPIX-FM DJ JERRY CARROLL is also into not only HO but the New York Central. I had heard that through the train stores on 45th street, Carroll hooked up with NBC's Tom Snyder while on his stints in New York. Snyder was also a MAJOR New York Central head, so between broadcasting/trains/New York Central, they had a lot in common.

Rod Stewart was a regular at "The Train Store / The Plane Store", downstairs on 45th Street (Manhattan). My wife used to see him in there frequently buying brass and books on the D&H and NYC. Phil Collins is also into HO, and once remarked to someone; "Rod has a FABULOUS layout in his basement". Back in the early 90's, Collins was building a layout in his home in California featuring American western railways. I wonder how it turned out? Frank Sinatra was into Lionel, he had a layout replicating his native Hoboken.

D/
 #806945  by CNJ999

Steve F45 wrote:makes you wonder how many of todays stars are closet railfans and model railroaders?
Probably a great many more than most of us imagine, at least among entertainers/celebrities of 50 and older.

Back in the 1950's model railroading was reportedly ranked as the county's second most popular hobby and celebrity-hobbyists back then were much more open about their practicing it. Many among them even appeared in manufacturer's ads from time to time.

Today, the situation has altered dramatically and since the 1980's the hobby has acquired somewhat of an unfavorable "stigma" about it. Thus, many celebrities are hesitant to mention their outside interest in trains, OR the segment of the media that covers their particular field of entertainment fears mention of it might damage the celebrities standing in the eyes of their fans. Rod Steward has mentioned encountering the latter situation a number of times during interviews - at his first mention of his hobby interest the interviewers immediately try to change the subject (a rock star who off stage plays with miniature trains...say it isn't so!).

I guess times and attitudes change.

CNJ831
Last edited by CNJ999 on Thu May 13, 2010 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #806952  by conrail71

Rochester, NY traffic reporter Tom George is an HO modeler with an awesome layout, from what I hear, I haven't seen it in oerson. Tay Diggs (sp?), a Rochester native is also into trains. He was the unofficial Amtrak spokesperson on Train Day.
 #807591  by Aa3rt

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:dont we already have a thread like this, possibly two of them?
You're correct-there's been a long running thread on famous railfans/model railroaders in the Railroads in Media forum for some time.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 22&t=11371
 #807751  by Steve F45

conrail71 wrote:Rochester, NY traffic reporter Tom George is an HO modeler with an awesome layout, from what I hear, I haven't seen it in oerson. Tay Diggs (sp?), a Rochester native is also into trains. He was the unofficial Amtrak spokesperson on Train Day.
The name sounded familiar but i had to google Tay Diggs. I would've never thought he'd be a model railroader.
 #808092  by conrail71

Well, you are partialy right there! I guess he would qualify as a local "celebrity". His traffic reports are carried by almost half of the radio and television stations in Rochester. So If your area code is 585, 716 or 315 you've heard of Tom George.
Mike