• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

ottttopotomous wrote: I misunderstood your previous post when you said "before we start sending half the fleet up there". It made me think you have a say in the operations of the RR.
Ah. I meant "we" as "the annxious railfan community that decides what's best for the railroad." :-) As in... railfans are always ready to send stuff here or there without really considering what that involves. No matter what, moving equipment costs someone money, and then once it gets there, it's taking up space on a track that may or may not be used for more important things. Is what I should have said.
  by b&m 1566

44 tonner wrote:A little off topic, but, I am wondering what "Silver Cascade" was before CSRR, and also what she was when she was built. any info would be helpful. Thanks
The Silver Cascade was a reqular coach at one time with windows and all. This video shows two cars sitting in Conway; one of which is now the Silver Cascade.
  by BayColony1706

I am not insulting anyone BandM4266, so don't go off accusing me of doing so. secondly, as a professional railroader, I have noticed that alot of people (not including railfans), dont care, let alone know what is pulling the train, as long as the train is going. I'm not arguing the fact that steam has a larger draw, I'm just saying that in the tourist rail industry the MAJORITY (ie mom and pop with squirmy kids, not hard-core railfans), will ride a train no matter what is at the head end. Glad I could clear things up for ya. :wink:
  by 44 tonner

Just an update on things, well, just the rails. Basically the whole line, up to Bartlett, has some rail showing. Before you know it, there will be trains running again.
  by Reader#108

Going back to the 7470 for a second......if they limit the amount of days that it is used, it will not have to go down for its 15 year overhaul until the winter of it's 100th birthday.The last overhaul was from 01-06. Maybe this is the reason for the lack of scheduling as well. Keeping her on a base track for the 1400 days would fall within the schedule that is being proposed. I think it is brilliant! Either way, I will be in the valley when she is running!
  by b&m 1566

I always thought the rule was 1400 operating days within a 15 year period. 1400 days divided by 15 years comes out to be about 93 operating days per year if you try to use it evenly through out the 15 years. The Conway Scenic is well below that number since it went back into operation in 2006.
  by RG479

I believe the clock starts when the flues were replaced and that was some time in the 90's. If I remember correctly the Form 4 work (ultrasonic thickness inspection) was done with the flues in place and finally accepted in 2006 after quite a wait.

Bob Meckley
  by Reader#108

I don't really know for sure....I am kind of new to this.....when I was speaking with an engineer I was left with the impression that it was 15 years or 1400 days (1400 or 1430?). Either way at the 15 year point it had to be ultrasounded and the flues had to be done. I could be totally wrong or at least have been misinformed....I am extremely open to correction and would appreciate the course correction if so...anyhow, I would rather see her 45-60 days a year for the next 10 than never at all and I think that we all agree on that one. Whatever the best course of action it is for the CSRR to run an efficient operation including the steam is what is best for them....I enjoyed the Steam in the Snow and I also enjoy seeing 7470 run....asI have mentioned previously, being 35 with my own kids now and having the opportunity to go on vacation to the valley and see it run like it did when I was a kid is an experience that I hope they cherish....and that I hope we all appreciate!
  by b&m 1566

b&m 1566 wrote:
p42thedowneaster wrote:Also, now that the Hattie Evans dining car is joining the collection, I wonder if they will be using part of the lower dome for food preparation or even dish washing. They would have to relocate the dome snack bar to coach anyways, so that coach passengers do not pass through the kitchen. (Assuming Hattie will be positioned between coach and dome to serve only first class passengers.)
That could work but I think having the dining car on the end would be the better way to go. It would still allow the first class passengers the chance to use the open observation car (Silver Cascade) and wouldn't require the project of constructing another snack bar in coach.
Speaking of the Silver Cascade, what is going on with it? It was taken out of service at the beginning of October for what I was told was "regular maintenance" and the car was placed on the same track the 4268 resides on. Is the car on the waiting list for servicing or has it been taken out of service for an indefinite amount of time? I ask because I know the year before they had the issue with the floor and wonder if the structural integrity of the car is now in question.
For those who may not have read the wheel report yet!
When the HATTIE EVANS is placed in service we plan to run it on the west end of the Notch train coupled to the CARROLL P. REED. The kitchen end of HATTIE will be closest to the locomotives and the dining room end will be coupled to the REED. Because the HATTIE has no vestibules, we probably will turn the REED around so we can use a set of its steps for easy access to HATTIE. There are access doors on both sides of the HATTIE in the kitchen end, but these are strictly for loading supplies and not for use by passengers.
http://conwayscenic.com/index.cfm?fusea ... heelreport
  by atsf sp

If anyone wants to see film footage of Reader 108, rent Boxcar Bertha by Scorcese. It is used predominantly in that movie.
Last edited by atsf sp on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by b&m 1566

Just came across this video which shows a rear glimpse of the ex-Conway Scenic 108, however the narrator states that it was 2-4-2 which as we know is not correct. The 108 is shown at the 8:00 minute mark.
  by Dick H

PSNH has released three videos on the transformer move
last June. About 21 minutes total running time for the three.
For some reason I am unable to paste the URL's.

Run this: http://www.youtube.com/

Type in: Transformer on rails.

Look for PSNH Playlist for all three vids.

Dick
  by toolmaker

I watched the train and crew at work in Groveton and Whitefield, NH. A great thrill to watch a freight move again on these lines. Does anyone know the route the Schnabel Cars traveled to leave North Conway?