• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Reader#108

AWESOME! Can't wait to see these in action! I was wondering, because I am somewhat diesel illiterate :-D , is there a book or website that I can go to so that I may educate myself a little more about diesels. I get a little confused about GP9, GP35, FP9 and so on....I really want to learn more about them considering that, let's face it, there aren't any new steamers rolling off the line.... :-D
  by masscoastalfan

Anyone else hoping that the part about the sisters and 1055 leaving does not come true like this rumor did? As excited as i am to see 2 havest gold and green 2nd generation geeps back on the mountain, I'd be really sad to see the sisters go. Especially to guilford fail system... oops i meant pan am...
I also wonder what will become of the 1943 and the 2820 now that the railroad has bought the two new units.
  by atsf sp

I do not know if this should be taken seriously, crazy april fools. But it does seem legit. I do really hope the sisters won't go. That leaves Conway with one operating F unit. Plus why would Conway want the 35? Non-heritage and out of character.
Reader#108 wrote:AWESOME! Can't wait to see these in action! I was wondering, because I am somewhat diesel illiterate :-D , is there a book or website that I can go to so that I may educate myself a little more about diesels. I get a little confused about GP9, GP35, FP9 and so on....I really want to learn more about them considering that, let's face it, there aren't any new steamers rolling off the line.... :-D
Here are some answers to the engines in question. GP9 is a 1st gen locomotive. Conway does not have a GP9. 573 is a GP7. But both engines look similar and are similar. Originally they had high noses yet many today have been rebuilt to have low short hoods. GP35 I believe was the first turbocharged locomotive from EMD. The one in question, the 216, was built for NW which on most occasions opted for high short hoods and dual controls because they reported the long nose as the front. FP9(6505 6516) is a passenger version of the F9. While both operated on passenger trains, the P stands for the heater in the engines and longer carbody to accomadate this extra feature. The F7 (4266 and 4268) is an earlier F version. This is a bulldog nosed engine like the FP9s. The GP38(252) is a later 2nd gen engine. Rated at 2000 HP, its type is still widely used on Class1s and Short lines. It looks like a classic B-B EMD standard cab. The previous are all EMD. The U23B and B23-7 are very similar. The U stands for Universal series which is the predeccesor to the Dash 7 line. These are both GE products. Both are rated at 2300HP but the -7 has better microprocessors. The 1055 is an ALCO S-4. This was part of a series of end cab switchers comparable to EMD SW units.
  by masscoastalfan

Well about the gp35 not being a heritage unit, it's not like the b23 or u23 had any new England/mec connections either.
  by atsf sp

True but this is just a question of why buy 2 engines rather than just 1?
  by masscoastalfan

I don't know! Why did they buy 2 GE's? Maybe they just got a good deal on them. Although getting a good deal from Pan Am seems kind of strange. If it weren't for the fact that this was in thw heel report, I would not believe it.
  by p42thedowneaster

This is fabulous news! The HH GP35 is a real surprise to me!
masscoastalfan wrote:...Although getting a good deal from Pan Am seems kind of strange. If it weren't for the fact that this was in thw heel report, I would not believe it.
I wouldn't be too worried, 573 was also from GTI (now PanAm).
  by Mikejf

Heh, MEC didn't own any GP9s. But we know what you meant Paul. Time to fire up the Airbrush. And Just ordered more decals for Modification. They won't say Conway Scenic, but they will be 216 and 252.
  by radioman

The MEC did, in fact, own a GP-9. #450. It was not new when they got it. It came from the Algoma Central, and was the last GP-9 ever built. It was a GMDD product. It was painted Harvest Gold.
  by Mikejf

Once again I stand corrected. I keep forgetting about the 450. If they follow that paint scheme, it will be easy to copy. They only had the pine tree on the end of the short hood.
Mike
  by BandM4266

WOW!!!
I guess my contacts were very acurate when I was told what was going on at CSRR, and that the 2nd locomotive that I stated they were getting was only a couple of numbers off but corretly it was a GP35. I also hit it on the head for the paint scheme. I guess it wasn't all JUST A FANTASY LOCOMOTIVE as some wanted to call it!!!! Now we wait and see if my other prediction of the sisters going to PAn Am comes to life!!!
  by Otto Vondrak

BandM4266 wrote:WOW!!! I guess my contacts were very acurate when I was told what was going on at CSRR, and that the 2nd locomotive that I stated they were getting was only a couple of numbers off but corretly it was a GP35. I also hit it on the head for the paint scheme. I guess it wasn't all JUST A FANTASY LOCOMOTIVE as some wanted to call it!!!! Now we wait and see if my other prediction of the sisters going to PAn Am comes to life!!!
Wow, congrats to you for providing unverifiable information that might as well have been a fantasy anyway.

-otto-
  by b&m 1566

BandM4266 wrote:WOW!!!Now we wait and see if my other prediction of the sisters going to PAn Am comes to life!!!
Yeah... let's hope the latter doesn't happen because the Conway Scenic won't be the same without them!