• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by 44 tonner

toolmaker wrote:I watched the train and crew at work in Groveton and Whitefield, NH. A great thrill to watch a freight move again on these lines. Does anyone know the route the Schnabel Cars traveled to leave North Conway?
Wouldn't it be the same way they came?... My thought.
  by toolmaker

sorry, I should have stated beyond the moves out of New Hampshire. There must be more going on out there for these cars to do.
  by BR4

The consist went back to Hazen's and Groveton the same way it came in, the
went east on the SLR to Danville Jct, and Guilford took it west, back to MA.
Don't know where in went after that.
  by p42thedowneaster

New Wheel Report has been posted up! http://www.conwayscenic.com/index.cfm?f ... heelreport

"There are some changes coming up this season in the motive power department, and I hope to be able to give a complete rundown on that in the next wheel report."

Now there's a tease haha!
I noticed this wknd that 2820 is out behind the engine shed, moved from her perch up above the golf course facilities. Perhaps they have plans for her again?
  by b&m 1566

2820 was moved to that spot back in the summer when they removed the front trucks. The trucks are now on the rear end of the 1943; I believe the traction motors on the original trucks were not working in reverse, which may have been the reason for the swap. When I was there for Columbus Day weekend the front end of the 2820 was sitting on blocks.
  by b&m 1566

Take a look that this year’s schedule, they have made some changes to it. There is going to be some trips in early December with the RDC and they have added a 2:30pm Polar Express departure time, which has eliminated the Bartlett train making two runs to Conway only on the weekends. Conway and Bartlett departures will resume after Christmas and will close out the year with the annual Steam in the Snow excursion (Sunday, January 2, 2011).
I had a feeling it was only going to be a matter of time before they took advantage of the Christmas break.
  by p42thedowneaster

re: 2820
Oh that's right! I've not been there since rfwknd, but I think I did see a nerail photo of it moved. Anyways...

re: schedule changes
Awesome! That little Budd car is great! I hope they run some longer excursions with it this year!
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

"I don't know, but I've been told ..."

Years ago, when the Conway Scenic was just getting up steam (pun intended) I got the impression that the management were trying to create a mid-1950s environment - last of the steam, first of the diesels, relatively small locomotives cheap to buy and maintain. 7470, 4266, the sisters, the Geep, and the switcher all fit into this profile. I was surprised when the GEs came on the scene, because they didn't fit that picture. It appeared as if CSRR simply jumped at a "good deal" without too much thought. I don't know what the vision of the current management may be, but the mid-fifties scenario seems to have been abandoned. Does anybody know what the present day vision may be, other that the obvious: running a profitable tourist/railfan attraction?

PBM
  by BR4

As far as I can see, the general theory now is to preserve
any railroad history, with an emphasis on New England.
The biggest factor in purchasing the GE's was the fact that
they had operating ER Dynamic Brakes.
  by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of news and activities related to the operation of the Conway Scenic Railroad in North Conway, New Hampshire.

Official Site: http://www.conwayscenic.com/

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1506040337

Link to 2009 thread: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=58035
  by Mikejf

Well this will be a nice change. Thank you Otto for removing that Fantasy stuff.
I hear work is progressing nicely on the new Dining car, while half of the dome car is prepped for paint. One side being in the sun Constantly faded the paint beyond their liking. With it warming up, I'm sure it won't be long before they paint it.

Mike
  by Otto Vondrak

Oh, hey! Look! REAL news!

There has been a lot of speculation on the message boards...
HA!
...and at local train shows concerning our dealings with motive power. There are some things that we are contractually obligated to keep to ourselves at this time, and there are other things that we can talk about. What I can say is that Conway Scenic Railroad is in the process of acquiring two units from Pan Am Railways. One of the units is GP38 #252... We have made arrangements with Pan Am to have this locomotive painted back into its ‘as delivered’ paint scheme of harvest gold with green stripes and numbers. The words “MAINE CENTRAL” will be replaced with “CONWAY SCENIC” in the logo on the cab sides, and we will do a similar modification in the green shield that will be located on the nose of the locomotive. We expect to take delivery of this locomotive sometime in May.
We have also made arrangements to get GP35 #216 from Pan Am.... This locomotive also will be painted in the Maine Central Heritage scheme of Harvest Gold with green stripes. We will use the same color green for the stripes as the green in our Notch Scheme... We are hoping to have this unit on the property sometime in late April.
http://www.conwayscenic.com/index.cfm?f ... heelreport
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Just a sec, I have to check the calendar.

PBM
  by NHN503

HARVEST GOLD AND GREEN back on the mountain! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D