Railroad Forums 

• Burlington Northern F40's

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#746012  by scottychaos

you must mean "Green & White Paintscheme"?
a "consist" means a multiple unit diesel lashup.

yes..they all wore B&N Green & White..
some were built for Great Northern, and were then repainted in B&N green..
the rest were built new as BN units, and arrived new in B&N green..

actually..I dont think they ever wore anything BUT green & white while with B&N! ;)
(except maybe before the GN units got repainted..but they all only wore the one B&N scheme)

(and they were F45's..not F40's)

Scot
 #746060  by westr

If you are thinking about freight-only F45s, then yes, there most definitely were. There are pictures of most of them available at http://www.trainpix.com/BN/EMDORIG/F45/INDEX.HTM. (The first order were delivered in GN Big Sky Blue but were all repainted in BN green.) They lasted to the mid 1980s.

If you are thinking about F40PHs or some variation thereof, such as for Metra commuter trains, then no, there never were.

And its BN, not B&N.
 #755183  by wigwagfan

I thought there weren't any F40s painted in BN because they weren't assigned to the BN District. The E9s were the BN power -- and were in BN paint (unlike the other lines whose power was in Metra paint.) The F40Cs were on the Milwaukee District, and the F40PHs on all the other lines.

When the E9s were finally retired, Metra replaced them with F59PHIs in Metra colors.
 #755210  by westr

I think the BN E-units remained in BN paint because they were always owned by BN, unlike the C&NW Es and Fs, which were sold to Metra and painted for Metra. I think the other Metra locomotives, including all their F40PHs, are owned by Metra and just operated by their host railroad, and thus have always worn Metra paint or the predecessor RTA's paint. The BN Es were retired back in 1992. They had to have been replaced by some variation of F40PH in Metra paint, I think the slightly more streamlined F40PHM-2s with slanted windshields. Metra doesn't have any F59PHIs. Metra does have the similar looking but much newer MPI units that are far too new to have directly replaced the BN Es.