Railroad Forums 

• CSX A Line Fayetteville, NC

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#731362  by locomotiveman1225

I'll be making a trip down to Fayetteville, NC. I know CSX runs a line through Fayetteville called the A Line, I would like to know alittle more about this line. #1. Road channels- Which frequencies does the A Line operate on? #2. How many moves does the A Line see per day. #3. Are there any other places that the A Line see's alot of action. #4. Where's the best spot t railfan in A Line in Fayetteville.
 #731495  by Noel Weaver

As I type this at 2:45 AM there are three trains within a 35 mile radius of Fayetteville. Of course this does not mean that
you would do as well in the day time but this line is very, very busy. Right now the board is lit up all over the place between
Rocky Mount and Charleston, SC.
Enjoy your trip.
Railfan safely
Noel Weaver
 #731560  by Noel Weaver

I was kind of wondering what would be around Fayetteville at this time of the day but it must be a middle of the day lull,
there was nothing in sight close to Fayetteville. I will be passing through that area early next week but I guess noon time is
not particularly busy there.
Noel Weaver
 #731689  by locomotiveman1225

Thanks for the info Noel, would you happen to know the controlled points that are near Fayetteville on the A Line?
 #731757  by Noel Weaver

North to south:
S. Godwin A 194.6
N. Wade A 197.1
S. Beard A 204.1
N Milan A 207.6 (north end double track)
A & Y RRX 209.5
Fayetteville passenger station about A 210
A & R RRX A 210.6
S. hope Mills A 218.6 (south end double track)
S. Rex A 227.7
Cromarte A 233.8

I just looked and there are a lot of trains in this area right now both north and south.

Noel Weaver
 #731940  by Steve F45

Noel Weaver wrote:North to south:
S. Godwin A 194.6
N. Wade A 197.1
S. Beard A 204.1
A & Y RRX 209.5
A & R RRX A 210.6
S. Rex A 227.7
Cromarte A 233.8

I just looked and there are a lot of trains in this area right now both north and south.

Noel Weaver
where did you look to see where all the trains are?
 #731958  by Noel Weaver

Steve F45 wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:North to south:
S. Godwin A 194.6
N. Wade A 197.1
S. Beard A 204.1
A & Y RRX 209.5
A & R RRX A 210.6
S. Rex A 227.7
Cromarte A 233.8

Noel Weaver
where did you look to see where all the trains are?
ATCS

Noel Weaver
 #733213  by consist

No info about the trains themselves, but (aside from my impression of the city as kind of a craphole, and the Greyhound station being a sickening nightmare) I recall a strange sight near the bus station where a busy line comes right down the middle of a street, sort of comprising the median, and many cars were diagonally parked with their noses dangerously close to the ROW, which was not fenced and the pavement went right up to it. I was wondering how many cars have been taken out by the trains in that weird setup.
 #733287  by locomotiveman1225

OK. If Fayetteville isn't a good spot, do you know of any good spots near Fayetteville where the A Line runs through?
 #733360  by 10more years

CSX is working track south of fayetteville for probably the next week or so. So, traffic might be a little lighter than normal, especially in daylight. CSX averages some 15-20 freight trains a day thru there plus 6 Amtraks. The Amtrak station is right downtown across from Airbourne Division museum. Norfolk Southern has line that comes in right above Amtrak station but only gets one local in and out per day. That's the same line that gets Fort Bragg traffic. Traffic is usually lighter on Sundays and Mondays. There's usually more traffic late afternoon and thru the early night. That line near the bus station is, I believe, a old main line that used to run to Wilmington many, many years ago. Now it runs out to an industrial plant outside the city as a spur.

Rail lines down the middle of the street just goes back to when the rails were laid and "urban sprawl" just put the road right next to the track some 100 years ago, i guess. You can bet that the track was there before the road was.