• Fri - last chance to shoot club car w/electrics

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sixty-six

blockline4180 wrote:Paging Dr. Cruiser for confirmation on this... Dr. Cruiser please report.
Haven't we already made enough threads on the topic already? Use the search feature.
  by jp1822

checkthedoorlight wrote:You CAN couple the ML's to the comets and still operate a moving train, but then some of the features of both sets of trains will not work properly. I believe it kills the sign displays, and the emergency call boxes.
It's not a matter of "CAN" it's a matter of NJT doesn't want to "mix and match" multilevels and single level equipment. I am sure the Club went down that road as an alternative if most of their members go to NYC and now they are starting all over again on a new routing.
  by cruiser939

blockline4180 wrote:Paging Dr. Cruiser for confirmation on this... Dr. Cruiser please report.
firthorfifth06 has pretty much nailed down the issue on this one. For those who ride trains 3224 and 3269, expect to find a 9ML set waiting to pick you up on Monday. I for one am sorry to see the club car relagated to Hoboken service as I have a close friend who is a member and he's the guy who really nurtured my interest in the railroad. Hopefully the club will be able to garner some new interest from theose on the lower Coast Line. As that weirdo says, "the times they are a changin' ".
  by blockline4180

cruiser939 wrote:
firthorfifth06 has pretty much nailed down the issue on this one. For those who ride trains 3224 and 3269, expect to find a 9ML set waiting to pick you up on Monday. I for one am sorry to see the club car relagated to Hoboken service as I have a close friend who is a member and he's the guy who really nurtured my interest in the railroad. Hopefully the club will be able to garner some new interest from theose on the lower Coast Line. As that weirdo says, "the times they are a changin' ".
Thanks, so that will make two ML EP sets laying over in Long Branch??
  by cruiser939

blockline4180 wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
Thanks, so that will make two ML EP sets laying over in Long Branch??
Yes.
  by John_Henry

There is one other private club in the US, running out of Chicago. METRA hauls their single level car in a trainset of MLs. NJT doesn't want that for a number of reasons, some mentioned here and some not.
  by Jtgshu

While its a shame to see the club car not going to/from NY, I bet the actual on time performance of the train WITH the club car will be light years better now that its a Hoboken/Bay Head train. As we all know, the 2300 series trains make it through come hell or high water, and most times are on time. Its always a nice treat being parked in a parade of electric trains during rush hour when you hear that Geep on the 2300 train screaming past you at track speed!
  by fishmech

I believe if they needed to run a mixed single and multilevel consist they would, but they'd only really do that in an emergency when they only have time to strap together whatever equipment they can find and evacuate somewhere.

It's a good thing really, other transit organizations run multis and single levels together all too often and it looks ugly.
  by Rail Boy

It's funny becasue the Commet III's IV's and V's weren't supposed to be coupled together and NJT has no problem doing that. The destination signs and door all fail on those from what I am told, and I was told that it is because they were not designed to be mixed and matched. It just surprises me that NJT is worried about the disfunctionality of the ML's when mixed with other equipment, yet on the same token, it could care less about the disfunctionality caused by mixing various types of single level equipment. If they were to change all of the single level's back into solid sets, it would be a different story.
  by firthorfifth06

The biggest concern, Rail Boy, in mixing with ML's is the emergency equipment. Unlike the Comet's, the ML's have emergency call buttons within the train for passengers to immediately get in touch with the crew. The ML's also have a remote communication system to allow dispatchers (or other remote personnel) to deliver emergency information to the passengers by means of the displays within the car and audio messages through the PA. Sometimes you can catch a test of that equipment while riding a multilevel train.

But back to the topic at hand, I think I'll try to catch 2304 on Monday morning and watch it go by, then see how 3224 does with ML equipment...bet there will be a lot of confused passengers.
  by jp1822

Back to the ole PRR routing for the Jersey Shore Commuters Club, when it last operated from the Hudson River waterfront (Exchange Place) to Bay Head back in the early 1960s. So long ole friend and good luck in the future - I'll miss seeing the Club Car operating into NYP! It was a timeless fixture to railroad history in the metro NYC area.
  by sixty-six

Rail Boy wrote:It's funny becasue the Commet III's IV's and V's weren't supposed to be coupled together and NJT has no problem doing that. The destination signs and door all fail on those from what I am told, and I was told that it is because they were not designed to be mixed and matched. It just surprises me that NJT is worried about the disfunctionality of the ML's when mixed with other equipment, yet on the same token, it could care less about the disfunctionality caused by mixing various types of single level equipment. If they were to change all of the single level's back into solid sets, it would be a different story.
Coupling the different cars up isnt a problem.
  by sullivan1985

jimzim66 wrote:
Rail Boy wrote:It's funny becasue the Commet III's IV's and V's weren't supposed to be coupled together and NJT has no problem doing that. The destination signs and door all fail on those from what I am told, and I was told that it is because they were not designed to be mixed and matched. It just surprises me that NJT is worried about the disfunctionality of the ML's when mixed with other equipment, yet on the same token, it could care less about the disfunctionality caused by mixing various types of single level equipment. If they were to change all of the single level's back into solid sets, it would be a different story.
It's when you try to MU them electronically that the problems arise. Getting all those silly safety features to function properly through a mixed outfit is... but who needs safety stuff anyways!
  by Jtgshu

jimzim66 wrote:
ehhhhhhhhh i wouldn't quite say that...........the ML couplers can be quite tempermental, and there is now a SI that states that MLs should not be coupled to the compromise couplers of MUs - of course that only matters in the yard or in equipment moves, but its a real pain sometimes.

It does seem that NJT is starting to care about the model cars in a train, as there are A LOT more solid or near solid Comet 2/4 sets or Comet 2/4 trailers with a Comet 5 cab running around lately. the other night I had an 8 car Comet 2/4 set with a C4 cab car - I haven't run one of those in a long time. As a matter of fact, last night in NY, the train I bought in had a C5 cab and mostly Comet 2s with 1 Comet 4 (and we were getting killed in stations because of increased dwell time....) and the train across the platform was the solid Comet 2/4 set I mentioned earlier. It was wierd seeing only wide black stripes on both tracks all the way down the platform!