• Fri - last chance to shoot club car w/electrics

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:
Rail Boy wrote:It's funny becasue the Commet III's IV's and V's weren't supposed to be coupled together and NJT has no problem doing that. The destination signs and door all fail on those from what I am told, and I was told that it is because they were not designed to be mixed and matched. It just surprises me that NJT is worried about the disfunctionality of the ML's when mixed with other equipment, yet on the same token, it could care less about the disfunctionality caused by mixing various types of single level equipment. If they were to change all of the single level's back into solid sets, it would be a different story.
Coupling the different cars up isnt a problem.
ehhhhhhhhh i wouldn't quite say that...........the ML couplers can be quite tempermental, and there is now a SI that states that MLs should not be coupled to the compromise couplers of MUs - of course that only matters in the yard or in equipment moves, but its a real pain sometimes.
He mentioned Comet IIIs, IVs, and Vs. Thats what I was referring to.
  by Port Jervis

M&Eman wrote:Is there any reason why JSCC is changing trains? It has been on the same LB-NY train since electrification.
Perhaps the JSCC membership who travel to stations south of Long Branch wanted more direct service. Running it on a Hoboken diesel serves more members directly and allows for a greater number of members to have longer rides on the club car itself. Only those who need to go directly to Penn Station have to transfer to another train. If I were a member and I lived in Spring Lake and worked in Lower Manhattan, I'd have to make two transfers if I wanted to use the club car.
  by Port Jervis

cruiser939 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Paging Dr. Cruiser for confirmation on this... Dr. Cruiser please report.
firthorfifth06 has pretty much nailed down the issue on this one. For those who ride trains 3224 and 3269, expect to find a 9ML set waiting to pick you up on Monday. I for one am sorry to see the club car relagated to Hoboken service as I have a close friend who is a member and he's the guy who really nurtured my interest in the railroad. Hopefully the club will be able to garner some new interest from theose on the lower Coast Line. As that weirdo says, "the times they are a changin' ".
There are no members who live south of Long Branch? I thought there were.

If I lived down there, I'd sign up for this thing immediately!
  by Port Jervis

Jtgshu wrote:While its a shame to see the club car not going to/from NY, I bet the actual on time performance of the train WITH the club car will be light years better now that its a Hoboken/Bay Head train. As we all know, the 2300 series trains make it through come hell or high water, and most times are on time. Its always a nice treat being parked in a parade of electric trains during rush hour when you hear that Geep on the 2300 train screaming past you at track speed!
A padded schedule does that for you.
  by jp1822

Port Jervis wrote:
M&Eman wrote:Is there any reason why JSCC is changing trains? It has been on the same LB-NY train since electrification.
Perhaps the JSCC membership who travel to stations south of Long Branch wanted more direct service. Running it on a Hoboken diesel serves more members directly and allows for a greater number of members to have longer rides on the club car itself. Only those who need to go directly to Penn Station have to transfer to another train. If I were a member and I lived in Spring Lake and worked in Lower Manhattan, I'd have to make two transfers if I wanted to use the club car.

Read a previous posts back. It was mentioned that the JSCC membership, as a whole, didn't seem to want this change. They wanted to continue to go into NYC - but had to change to a Hoboken route from an operational standpoint from NJT headquarters. Since they traveled from Long Branch to NYC on an express schedule for so many years, I doubt they got too many people "south of Long Branch." But now they may have an opportunity for such. As also mentioned it would be definitely worthwhile for people to join the Club Car, if it suits there needs, if they live south of Long Branch and commute to NYC, Newark, Hoboken, Lower Manhattan etc.
  by jersey_emt

jp1822 wrote:
Port Jervis wrote:

Read a previous posts back. It was mentioned that the JSCC membership, as a whole, didn't seem to want this change. They wanted to continue to go into NYC - but had to change to a Hoboken route from an operational standpoint from NJT headquarters. Since they traveled from Long Branch to NYC on an express schedule for so many years, I doubt they got too many people "south of Long Branch." But now they may have an opportunity for such. As also mentioned it would be definitely worthwhile for people to join the Club Car, if it suits there needs, if they live south of Long Branch and commute to NYC, Newark, Hoboken, Lower Manhattan etc.
I would assume that most members who live south of Long Branch drove up to catch the club car train there rather than go to their local station. Now that the club car is originating in Bay Head, members may just take the train from the closest station. Even though it will take longer than driving (not much though, especially for stations closer to Bay Head), they'll have the club car all the way to Hoboken.

I would also assume that a good portion of club car members work in Manhattan south of and outside of walking distance from NYP, and would take the subway from NYP to get to work. Now, they can just switch to the PATH at Hoboken and hopefully get within walking distance to their job from a PATH station.

So, this change may in fact work out. I hope that it does.
Last edited by jersey_emt on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jtgshu

Jimzim - the MLs don't like to couple or uncouple from anything but themselves. why? I dunno, but it makes it for quite a challenge when spotting the SandI building......

The 2300s don't have too much schedule padding, well they do on either end of the train, but which train doesnt? However, just the way the are scheduled, and the fact that they don't usually make any other stops on Amtrak other than Newark Penn (I think only 2303 makes EWR, or at least it used to), Amtrak tends to just "seal em up and ship em through" right down track 2 or 3, which are usually kept sort of clear when there are service disruptions for Amtrak trains.

Most regular commuter on the Coast Line will tell you, when possible, take the 2300 series trains! Even if it reqiures a Xfer in Newark! Most times its the shortest way to where you are going, even to/from NYP.
  by jersey_emt

Jtgshu wrote:Most regular commuter on the Coast Line will tell you, when possible, take the 2300 series trains! Even if it reqiures a Xfer in Newark! Most times its the shortest way to where you are going, even to/from NYP.
100% agreed!

Even though I go to Avenel, where 2300 trains don't stop, I always take the very first train available from NYP to Newark Penn, regardless of whether it is a NJCL local, NJCL express, or NEC local or express. I then transfer in Newark, if needed, to a train that stops in Avenel.

I do this because I know that even if something happens like the catenary crapping out while waiting in Newark, I will be probably be able to at least get to Woodbridge fairly quickly, and just call someone for a ride over to Avenel to pick up my car. There's even been a couple of times when there has been catenary problems and only the 2300 trains were getting through, and they made all local stops (including Avenel) to help get people on the move.

Getting to Newark as soon as possible gives me options that I wouldn't have in extreme circumstances -- namely, a 2300 train savior!
  by John_Henry

We did not want the change. We only have 3 members who live south of LB.

As for just taking PATH to 34th Street the unfortunate part is that it takes atleast 30 minutes more each way. If a. Ariety of ferry services return to Hoboken terminal, the new destination really only benefits those who work in southern Manhattan.
  by firthorfifth06

During my short days at school, I take 5440 to Newark and will purposely wait the 50 minutes or so to catch 2305 because of the speedy service (even though I only get off at Matawan, though sometimes Long Branch). Even in the mornings, I prefer to catch 2300, 2306, and 2308 to all other morning rush trains.

Oh, and Jt, I think right now only 2303 and 2312 makes the stop at EWR
  by cruiser939

Port Jervis wrote:
Hmmmm, I guess someone hasn't bothered to read through this rather short thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15#p732311
  by Jtgshu

BTW, the second ML train was brought down tonight to Long Branch - there are 2 sets parked in the yard now.

Wonderful..................

9/10 MLs with an ALP46 absolutely SUCK in the rain/leaf/bad rail conditions, so lets bring more down!!!! YEA!!!!
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:Jimzim - the MLs don't like to couple or uncouple from anything but themselves. why? I dunno, but it makes it for quite a challenge when spotting the SandI building......
Seriously? I dont recall having a problem the few times I worked with mixed consists in the yard. Not saying you're wrong, just that I wasnt aware.

BTW, the second ML train was brought down tonight to Long Branch - there are 2 sets parked in the yard now.

9/10 MLs with an ALP46 absolutely SUCK in the rain/leaf/bad rail conditions, so lets bring more down!!!! YEA!!!!
Sounds like business as usual, haha.
  by Jtgshu

jimzim66 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Jimzim - the MLs don't like to couple or uncouple from anything but themselves. why? I dunno, but it makes it for quite a challenge when spotting the SandI building......
Seriously? I dont recall having a problem the few times I worked with mixed consists in the yard. Not saying you're wrong, just that I wasnt aware.

Sounds like business as usual, haha.
well gee thanks '66, im glad you not saying im wrong..... And yes, Im serious, and please don't call me Shirley :P
  by mcmannors

firthorfifth06 wrote:The biggest concern, Rail Boy, in mixing with ML's is the emergency equipment. Unlike the Comet's, the ML's have emergency call buttons within the train for passengers to immediately get in touch with the crew.
Of course, if they staffed the ML's correctly, there wouldn't be that much of a concern to find crew members in an emergency. Or better yet, if they didn't have multi levels to begin with, and they staffed all of the trains correctly, there would be very little need for the PEI all together.