Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Cab Dimensions

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#709950  by railnovice

I'm a bit of a rookie so I apologize if this has been addressed before. Can anyone give me an idea of the internal dimensions of a locomotive cab, particularly a GM, and also the same for a cab car? I can't seem to find the info anywhere. Thank you very much.
 #709960  by goodnightjohnwayne

railnovice wrote:I'm a bit of a rookie so I apologize if this has been addressed before. Can anyone give me an idea of the internal dimensions of a locomotive cab, particularly a GM, and also the same for a cab car? I can't seem to find the info anywhere. Thank you very much.
A standard sized vestibule is 42 inches wide.
 #710114  by wigwagfan

Do you have a railroad museum in your area that has a EMD locomotive? You probably aren't going to find a F59PHI there but are some F40s, F45s, and DDA40Xes out there, and certainly lots of first gen (E/Fs, GP-7s/9s). The width of the locomotive cab is going to be pretty darn identical, just the length of the cab.

Is there a particular reason you ask this - is it for some type of a mock-up or a model that you are building?
 #710120  by DutchRailnut

Most cabs are wide of locomotive (10 feet) and about 7 to 8 feet long on Cab cars most are 10 foot wide by 42 inches long.
 #711764  by Otto Vondrak

railnovice wrote:I'm a bit of a rookie so I apologize if this has been addressed before. Can anyone give me an idea of the internal dimensions of a locomotive cab, particularly a GM, and also the same for a cab car? I can't seem to find the info anywhere. Thank you very much.
Hi, rookie! Just curious what you need the info for?
 #712096  by NellieBly

Just saw a diagram of an FP45 (ex GN). Interior cab dimensions were given as 8 x 9 feet, which sounds about right to me. Was in the cab of a GEVO last weekend, and there was room for the control stand, three chairs, and a jump seat. So again, 8 X 9 sounds about right.